PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had their transmission/synchros replaced post-warranty?

Fish
05-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey guys, I'm just trying to figure out my options here.

I have had the 1st-2nd gear grind and the creaking clutch since I got the car, and when I asked the previous owner about it he said he didn't know about the grinding (not sure if that's truth but he was an older Mormon guy so it's possible he wasn't shifting high RPMs) and the clutch pedal had been creaking since 06 and he never thought anything of it. I read around and ended up replacing my MTF with Amsoil synthetic MTF and it's been around 500 miles since then. I also got a weighted skunk2 5speed knob and the aluminum shifter base bushings, and it has felt good since then.

Now, the MTF change seemed to get rid of my 2nd gear grind, great huh! Then the problems started again. Grind is gone, but now I can't engage reverse when stopped without messing with the brake and letting the clutch in and out a few times, moving an inch or two rolling and it finally goes in. It gets like halfway and won't go in if I don't mess with it, every time. Today I was in a little hurry and thought it went in but it was really halfway in. I let out the clutch a little to inch out and it grinded and snapped into neutral. I was able to back out and get home, but it feels notchy as hell now. It's hard to push into any gear and I didn't even try to redline to see if 2nd gear is messed with too. The clutch still feels like it did, stiff and feelingless as it always has been (assuming this isn't a problem) but the tranny is now more notchy and hard to work with. Reverse is still the same way as it was before, hard to engage.

So I'm going to call Santan Honda on Monday and set up a time to have it looked at. I'm just wondering what could be wrong (I'm assuming clutch master+slave need to be changed and 2nd gear synchros need to be changed) and how much it could cost me. Is it feasible to ask for it to be changed under warranty? My car is out of warranty, it had the 3 year/36000 and was bought October 04 (~3.5 years now), it's a 2005 and has just over 36800 miles. Could it be cheaper to have a local shop do it or maybe swap the trans with a type s 6speed instead of having it fixed? How much would that cost me? I don't think I could do that myself as I have no experience with cars past installing a muffler and CAI on my old car and a CAI on this car (though I'm reading a lot of great info here and learning through selective modding :mbiggrin:).

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just worried about this as I don't really have the money to pay for it to be fixed, and my dad is already pissed at me for the brakes going (he didn't want me to trade my 07 eclipse with 13k miles for this because he said it would need tons of maintenance, guess he was right) so I don't know what will happen if he has to pay for the repair.

thanks..

Fish
05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
bump?

ohdamngetit
05-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I had a little grind going into 2nd gear on my ep3 and I did the same thing. Amsoil MTF cured it although it came back. I replaced the shifter bushings with the alum ones from corsport and I also got the tranny shifter bushing also. Made a big difference. For a while, I thought I had fixed my problem but of course... it came back but not fully. This time it was very light. I got my BCSS(buddy club short shifter) in a few days ago and installed it and for some odd reason.... there is no more grind into 2nd. I mean none.... baffled by it, I didnt look into it any further since it fixed my problem. Thinking about it now, it might of been my stock shifter? Its at the garage, I'll find it tomorrow and see if there any suspect wear and tear on it.

Oh and the clutch "squeaking", mine does it too. Only when it rains. I read somewhere before the meltdown that all you need to do is WD40 the hell out of the clutch line or something in that nature. Hope I helped a little or if any at all
:smile:

Fish
05-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the reply..

Maybe I'll try adjusting the shifter cables or something for now, it felt better today but still noticeably more notchy than before. I would try the BCSS and the tranny bushings but I don't want to keep spending money when I liked how the shifter felt before my reverse mishap, and I really think that there's something wrong that's more than just how I'm driving or whatever.

I tried lithium grease on the pushrod and adjusted it like some others have done (we don't have a clutch cable fyi, hydro-clutch) but it didn't help me :/.

ohdamngetit
05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
ah I see. I'm somewhat of a noob to this car. I do apologize ^_^
well I hope you get your problems fixed. I'll see if I can find out anymore info to help ya out.

Fish
05-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks man, no problem with the misinformation :P

I found the TSBs for both problems I'm having except the transmission one is for 3rd gear not 2nd..

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do?step=tsb&year=2004&make=Honda&model=Civic&style=Si+2dr+Hatchback+%282.0L+4cyl+5M%29&zip=85233&synpartner=edmunds

numbers 46 and 65.

I don't know if that means that they replace those items for free or what though..

Fish
05-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Bump for answers.

ohdamngetit
05-05-2008, 02:48 PM
for real, bump for answers. I looked and looked but didnt find any answers. I hope all works out for ya

talonXracer
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
A TSB is not gonna get any work done for free after the warranty has expired.

Have you bled the clutch hydraulic line?

You may also need to adjust the clutch pedal for throw.

Fish
05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Good news!

Went to the local dealership this morning, dropped it off, 5 hours later I get a call that they replaced the Clutch master cylinder under warranty, bled the clutch, and it's good to go.

Grind is gone again

Clutch feels 10x better

No notchiness

:)!

The new Paul03
05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I have always had problems with reverse all i do is put it in first and roll an inch or two then it goes right into reverse, but what do you expect its a honda. I had the same problems with grinding and had to replace all of my syncros and gear sets. She drives good now but reverse is the same.

vbpracer
05-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I have always had problems with reverse all i do is put it in first and roll an inch or two then it goes right into reverse, but what do you expect its a honda. I had the same problems with grinding and had to replace all of my syncros and gear sets. She drives good now but reverse is the same.

Same here man dont worry.

ALL MotoR Ep3
05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Yup Amsoil synchro fix gets the job done especially when your out of warranty like myself...lol

ohdamngetit
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Good news!

Went to the local dealership this morning, dropped it off, 5 hours later I get a call that they replaced the Clutch master cylinder under warranty, bled the clutch, and it's good to go.

Grind is gone again

Clutch feels 10x better

No notchiness

:)!

woot! for you! Glad you got your problems fixed!!!

NHBP ep3
05-26-2008, 10:16 PM
I had a little grind going into 2nd gear on my ep3 and I did the same thing. Amsoil MTF cured it although it came back. I replaced the shifter bushings with the alum ones from corsport and I also got the tranny shifter bushing also. Made a big difference. For a while, I thought I had fixed my problem but of course... it came back but not fully. This time it was very light. I got my BCSS(buddy club short shifter) in a few days ago and installed it and for some odd reason.... there is no more grind into 2nd. I mean none.... baffled by it, I didnt look into it any further since it fixed my problem. Thinking about it now, it might of been my stock shifter? Its at the garage, I'll find it tomorrow and see if there any suspect wear and tear on it.

Oh and the clutch "squeaking", mine does it too. Only when it rains. I read somewhere before the meltdown that all you need to do is WD40 the hell out of the clutch line or something in that nature. Hope I helped a little or if any at all
:smile:

what is a tranny shifter bushing?

i recently picked up a 04 si and i also notice 1st-2nd grind at 7 k so im just doing some research seeing what i can do about it

NHBP ep3
05-27-2008, 10:52 AM
bump

Unknownally
08-04-2008, 07:50 AM
My clutch squeeks also. My shifts are shit and causes missed shifts.