PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to rebuild calipers(powder coat question)

liquid cooled
05-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Anyways im getting ready to take my type-s calipers for powder coat and im wondering how hard it is to completely strip them down and rebuild them. Reason is that there is not supposed to be any rubber parts on it (i took the rubber boots off the outside and split each caliper into two pieces, not a big deal. however do you guys think that the seals inside of the caliper can take 400 degree heat. I would think that they could but i need everybodies opinions.

Windchaser
05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Anyways im getting ready to take my type-s calipers for powder coat and im wondering how hard it is to completely strip them down and rebuild them. Reason is that there is not supposed to be any rubber parts on it (i took the rubber boots off the outside and split each caliper into two pieces, not a big deal. however do you guys think that the seals inside of the caliper can take 400 degree heat. I would think that they could but i need everybodies opinions.

It's easy. As long as you don't have the piston sitting in the oven with the calipers, everything should be "a ok"

liquid cooled
05-03-2008, 11:11 PM
^ how would one say remove this piston.

Windchaser
05-03-2008, 11:29 PM
There's a tool that you can buy from Honda to remove the pistons; I don't remember the part number exactly. However, the easiest way is pumping your brakes without the caliper sitting on the rotors (with the pads removed). The air/fluid from the brake lines pushes against the piston and should pop right out =).

Before reinstalling, it is recommended that you replace the piston seal (grease it down), the piston boot (grease it down), and the clip that goes with the boot.

Also, if you can, remove the bleed screw on top of the calipers. You don't want the thread melting into the calipers (although I honestly think the brake components can handle temperatures up to 400 - don't take my word for it).

Simple as making pie!