PDA

View Full Version : Get rear brake pads with more grip then fronts? Auto X

siver-SI
05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Going into my first auto X event today I was trying to figure out what pads I wanted to get to replace my front brakes. I did a test drive of a EP with Hawk HP+ pads in the front I liked them they grabed very well and felt great. In a few months I was going to get the HP+ for the rears.

But as I went into the event I had a point brought up to be that I should maybe get Hawk HP Street pads in front and HP+ in the rears. That way I would have more even braking since in most front wheel drivers the fronts pads grab more then the rears with OEM pads.

I am just wondering would this setup be better in the EP or should I just do HP+ pads all around? I am leanin for just doing the HP+ pads all around but I thought I would ask before I order and latter want to kick myself.

I did have anouther EP owner at the track that had the HP+ pads all around and he was very happy with them.

MugsyTheGr8
05-04-2008, 05:03 PM
i dont see how that would help...at all, but im no expert. if anything just get either the hps or the hp+ on all four corners and call it a day.

siver-SI
05-04-2008, 05:13 PM
The one that brought it was not sure if that would combo would help with the EP or not that is why I wanted to ask first. If it comes to a no for the EP then I will be going HP+ l around with powerslot rotors.

v1c10us
05-04-2008, 06:03 PM
people do it to even out the brake bias.
I have hp+ all around with slotted brakes in the rear to balance the bias.

siver-SI
05-04-2008, 06:08 PM
So are the hp+ a more even setup then the OEM setup? I am going to the slotted rotors all around.

JohnnyTavo
05-04-2008, 10:35 PM
this is craziest thing I have ever read, the rear brakes barely do anything on a front wheel drive car

I know people will run weaker pads in the rear when road racing to prevent rear lock up in classes where you are not allowed to run abs

since we have abs and ebd, this seems quite pointless, especially for autox, just keeps the pads even all around, buying the hp+ for the rear after having them up front probably won't make a difference at all

When I bought my hawks, I had worn all my pads down, so I just bought the pads for all 4 corners, if the rears were fine I probably would have just bought new front pads

Zzyzx
05-05-2008, 08:28 AM
people do it to even out the brake bias.
I have hp+ all around with slotted brakes in the rear to balance the bias.

and how do slotted rotors on the rear alter brake bias????

(Remember, friction is not subject to surface area...)

To the thread starter, Messing with brake torque to balance brake bias is not all that uncommon. Getting the proper balance, thats better then oem, however is very tough.

So you may end up with worse or better stopping distances.

siver-SI
05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks, Well I knew if I did not ask before I bought I would wondering. So thought I would ask first. I am ordering the powerslots for the fronts and HP+ for the fronts and when I get a little extra cash in about a month do the rears the same.

MidnightRacer59
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Well I knew if I did not ask before I bought I would wondering. So thought I would ask first. I am ordering the powerslots for the fronts and HP+ for the fronts and when I get a little extra cash in about a month do the rears the same.

That sounds like a good idea. If your rear rotors don't need to be turned or changed, I would just get the HP+ pads for the rear and leave the rotors be. Seems to stop fine, brake bias (IMO) hasn't been affected too greatly, but to each their own. It is, in the end, what ever you think feels the best for your car and I believe you will be happy in the end with the powerslot rotors and HP+ pads. :happy:

Good luck either way :mbiggrin:

siver-SI
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
That sounds like a good idea. If your rear rotors don't need to be turned or changed, I would just get the HP+ pads for the rear and leave the rotors be. Seems to stop fine, brake bias (IMO) hasn't been affected too greatly, but to each their own. It is, in the end, what ever you think feels the best for your car and I believe you will be happy in the end with the powerslot rotors and HP+ pads. :happy:

Good luck either way :mbiggrin:

I need as much help as I can get to get caught up to you on the track. ;)

MidnightRacer59
05-05-2008, 07:23 PM
I need as much help as I can get to get caught up to you on the track. ;)

You will definately get their sooner that you think...but I'm gonna have to try and stay a couple steps ahead of you! :mbiggrin: