PDA

View Full Version : Why do people doubt the new Si???

Pradamuimui
07-11-2002, 12:12 AM
I dont know if its the town I live in, or just people in general. But for some reason a lot of the import racers I know have nothing but bad things to say about my new 02 Si!!! Whats up with that??? It just seems like everyone doubts the car for one reason or another. The gears are to short, redlines to low, the K series engine in our car doesnt have exhaust Vtec...I mean is it just the town I live in, or does anyone else have similiar stories???... LET ME KNOW!!!

SBC31
07-11-2002, 06:39 AM
There are some that doubt it, and from those that I've met (just 2 or 3 of them) seem to be extremely jealous of the car. Oh and all of them have never even driven the car so........

In general, I would say that 95% of people who have seen my 2002 SiR simply love it.

Brenetics
07-11-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui
I dont know if its the town I live in, or just people in general. But for some reason a lot of the import racers I know have nothing but bad things to say about my new 02 Si!!! Whats up with that??? It just seems like everyone doubts the car for one reason or another. The gears are to short, redlines to low, the K series engine in our car doesnt have exhaust Vtec...I mean is it just the town I live in, or does anyone else have similiar stories???... LET ME KNOW!!!

I live near Va. Beach and all the import racers here hate it as well.

...I feel your pain

CleanBlackSi02
07-11-2002, 08:01 AM
It's because it's new. People fear change. Oh....maybe they're jealous 'cuz our cars are better? ;)

FourJays
07-11-2002, 08:25 AM
I just bought mine two days ago but I've had 22 cars in 27 years of driving and I like driving a car where you don't see yourself coming and going on the street. That's why I bought my '86 Grand National, '00 Formula WS6 and the Si.

Let's face it, the new Si looks very different from most other cars out there, although some Focus coupes look similar to it. It took me a little while to really get to like the looks, I drove by the dealership a few times over a few weeks before I test drove it. The main thing is that you like the car.

TezGari
07-11-2002, 09:38 AM
I feel you pain guys,

Thats why i love this Site. Every one here loves thier Ep's cause they own one. ALot of people hate on me to. But you know what i say, "If you love your car, who cares what others say". WHen people look at the New Si they dont know what to say so, being rude stupid people they say bad things. Its ok guys, the RSX went through this and the Focus. We will Dominate soon.....................:D ;)

chenchao
07-11-2002, 09:40 AM
First of all who cares what other people think. I know you guys know this too, because once you get behind the wheel of the new Si you'd know how fun it is. And yeah, like it was said most have never even driven it.
Another thing said, how could a civic with most torque ever be a bad thing? We all know once one of those ricers see one dropped with a boddy kit and some aftermarket parts, they'll all be trying to get one. :D

TezGari
07-11-2002, 09:45 AM
you are right, THe new Si is a good car.

ApexinSi
07-11-2002, 09:50 AM
99-00 si owners don't like our si's cause they are REAL si's..hatchbacks....with all the improvements previous si owners complained about. Alot of people were expecting the hatchback si to come out in 99-00, but instead they got the ugly coupe. The ugly coupe having the same interrior as a civic EX.. whats up with that?

grooveline
07-11-2002, 10:12 AM
Screw 'em all. They hate us becuase they are jealous. Our cars are bad ass. More horspower, cool interior. The only I don't like is when the chicks say" ooh! what CUTE car!" I don't want cute, I want bad. And it is.

I will tell you one thing, everyone who has heard about the Si, drools over it. Everytime I go out, people are craning their neck to get a good look. And as soon as they see the shifter, the dump a hot load in their jeans.

However, as long as women dig it, it starts everyday, and the tunes are loud, I'm paying for,... F$%k 'em!

MoodySi
07-11-2002, 10:53 AM
All I encounter is people being afraid of it. People look at my car and ask me questions like they have no idea about what the car is. So far nothing but positive responses. I have also noticed people's attitudes change about the new Si on other message boards.

02TafWhtSi
07-11-2002, 03:37 PM
FourJays - how do you rate your new Si compared to those American muscle cars you owned before? My father used to own a 99' Vette and after he drove my Si he couldn't say enough good things about it, and no its not cause he's my father. He thought it felt really tossable and far more fun to drive around town and in highly populated areas b/c of its size/weight and thought it had just enough punch to make things interesting.

IceD out N CALI
07-11-2002, 04:09 PM
THis time its different, a whole new engine and whole new can of worms. 12 years of B series engines out the door! its gonna take time for ppl to warm up to it. I also think that tuners, suppliers etc made a killing selling B series stuff now thats getting phased out by honda which might mean less revenue for them as the 5th and 6th gen civics and integras begin to age more.
In time the smack talk will fade out, but I think its just an attitude that started with the import magazines. It started before the Si's where released. They all joined forces and bad mouthed our si's while praising the SVT focus and SPec V.
Give it some time for the aftermarket to bring out the best in our rides. I can't wait to get me some projector headlights with black housing.

beretta627
07-11-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ApexinSi
99-00 si owners don't like our si's cause they are REAL si's..hatchbacks....with all the improvements previous si owners complained about. Alot of people were expecting the hatchback si to come out in 99-00, but instead they got the ugly coupe. The ugly coupe having the same interrior as a civic EX.. whats up with that?

Blanket statements like this aren't going to help your car gain any respect in the "community." (not that it matters anyways.) Different strokes for different folks ...

you live in OC huh ... hit me up on AIM .... i'd love to get some performance comparisons between your EP and my ugly coupe ;)

-Chris

MadMax
07-11-2002, 04:40 PM
I think there has been a lot of negative reactions to the new Si. The honda dealership that i drive by every day has 3 in the lot, they dont seem to be going anywhere.

My initial reaction was negative, but the car is definitely starting to grow on me. The minivan-like shape is a big turn-off for most people, but the minivan is simply the most practical method of personal transportation anyone has come up with, and if people have a problem with practicality... well, then that's THEIR problem.

My biggest problem with the car initially was the weight. A hatchback should be LIGHTER than a coupe, not heavier. The 92-95 Si hatch was ~2325 lbs. I was hoping for a curb weight closer to that...The extra 300~400 lbs greatly offsets the extra 35 hp.

IceD out N CALI
07-11-2002, 04:44 PM
yup max i agree, the whole new shape and extra weight doesnt help the case, but it definitely has a "growing on you" effect

beretta627
07-11-2002, 06:00 PM
it's kind of like drinking your first beer or smoking your first cig ... some people are disgusted by it, but a few like it right away. then others come around when it's the "Cool" thing to do :cool:

the Si is still dog slow though :)

FourJays
07-11-2002, 06:07 PM
02TafWhtSi - Good question. My ram air Firebird and Grand National were the most fun cars I've ever owned. I bought both when they were new, the GN was an '86, the first intercooled Buick turbo. It was a bit crude by today's standards but by God would it run. I ran 13.9s on stock tires and no mods.

I have to say the Hondas I've owned ('84 Accord, '87 CRX, '91 Accord EX, '94 Civic coupe (used), '99 Accord EX V6, '02 Si) are fun in a very different way. They get the job done with class, comfort and dead-on reliability and they're easily modded to any degree the owner wants. Since I am not a 'brand' person, I tend to buy what I really enjoy.

Some of my friends are positively gonna rag my a-- when they see me in the Si but I just don't care. That's why I don't even read posts on boards where some numb-nuts says a particular car sucks or how much better his car is.

Phew! That will teach you to ask me a question! Sorry . . .

Mulder
07-11-2002, 06:37 PM
I think the enthusiasts were expecting "more" from the new Si. Also the new style (which really grows on you) is just different and some people need time to accept different. For the most part people I meet like the new Si.

Mechanic
07-12-2002, 03:02 AM
I think the reaction to the Civic Si this time is pretty much the same as the original hatchback Si's. The CRXs were much more popular. I probably would have bought a CRX myself, but I couldn't fit into that model - the combination of the slope of the roof and the moonroof didn't give me enough headroom. So, I bought the Civic Si in '90 instead. And I had the pick of lots of them just sitting around. Got a whopping discount. I've been buying Hondas ever since. That '90 Civic Si was the most enjoyable car I've ever owned.

These posts are consistent with what I thought would happen when Honda brought back a hatchback. Look a VW. They sell 10 times as many Jettas as GTIs. Same car, but one has a truck. Most Americans equate "hatchback" with cheap. Screw 'em. That's why a lot of us got a solid discount off MSRP.

My concern now is that Honda won't be encouraged enough with the sales of the Si to bring in the CTR. Another possibility: It just may be that those who would buy such a car are waiting for the CTR and won't buy an Si.

Gibhunter
07-12-2002, 07:06 AM
Well, the first time I saw the Si I thought it was ugly and very overpriced. I still think it's overpriced, but I hear dealers are starting to be reasonable with it instead of acting like it's God's gift to mankind. About uglyness, it sure did grow on me to the point that I like it now. I'm sure the fact that I checked it out in person and sat in it and tried out the shifter helped allot.

Ps. I didn't like my rsx at first either. That is until I test drove it. After I drove it last August (wow it's almost a year!) I had to have it. Bought it the next day.

Jesse02SI
07-12-2002, 09:30 AM
i love my Si I get atleast 2 compliments a day no haters yet
but i live in S. florida down here its all good... I came from a 1997 ram air Ta though it had tourge out the ass my Si is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
much more fun driving around town plus great gas mileage

HondaMan
07-12-2002, 09:55 AM
I love my Si (I love it as much as my old 1989 Civic Si...had it for 7 years)...I say screw the peeps that diss our rides! I just wish I could have waited longer to get it and saved some $ off the high MSRP. :)

!@#$%
07-12-2002, 09:42 PM
i felt the same freakin way about the 7th gen civic coupes....

"I dont really like the taillights....."

then i realized how i was griping about a perfectly good 2001 car that i could drive off the lot the next day and not cost me a penny.

i pulled my head out of my arse and said bye bye 93 MX3!

lovin my coupe, could be faster but im sure that will always be a problem with me. i really want a rsx-s but i dont want to trade in my vic. oh well, gotta move on sometime......:(

i really like the new si, i need to test drive one before i end up buying the type s. love the interior AND the STYLING yes i said STYLING! if it doesnt feel much faster than the type s i would probably opt for the si and save 7 grand. or put it into mods! YES but anyway my report:

acura rsx-s= two thumbs up
new civic si = (initial stereotype) two thumbs up / still need to drive though
my 01 civic lx auto = GREAT car, very practical not a speed demon but i can get 340 miles on 10 dollars of gas. yes i said 10 dollars worth at $1.30 a gallon. :cool:

eLEMENTgiRL
07-15-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by grooveline
The only I don't like is when the chicks say" ooh! what CUTE car!" I don't want cute, I want bad. And it is.

I will tell you one thing, everyone who has heard about the Si, drools over it. Everytime I go out, people are craning their neck to get a good look. And as soon as they see the shifter, the dump a hot load in their jeans.

hey, i think my car is cute! but my car is gonna be one bad ass cute car..lol..
yeah.. i get the same reaction.. i always catch people peeking in my windows no matter where i go.. :p .. i went to get an oil change and a car wash.. and the shifter freaked ppl out that they even had to call whoever around to check it out..

i always just give them a cute smirk, hop right on in, and take off :p

Mechanic
07-16-2002, 02:27 AM
Time, just give it time. I experienced everything being described here when I had one first three hundred V-dub Rabbits in the States (anyone remember them?). In late 1974, no one had ever seen a hatchback car. It was really an oddity in San Diego, CA. But, by the time the GTI version began to appear and Europe and companies like GMP (German Motors & Parts) began to import go-fast parts, the car had taken on a life of its own.

The Si, this model, will go through the same evolution. Particularly if Honda is smart enough to import the Type R. That will have the same effect on all the Si as the GTI did for V-dub's Rabbit. The Germans just had a 30-year anniversary for the latter (as a Golf), which has been produced in the millions. Just give it time.

MagusDC5
07-18-2002, 09:14 PM
I agree, time will be the biggest factor. With any new car you are going to get heat from previous gen owners. I had a 99 EM1 Si and loved it...test drove the Si and was not what I was looking for, and went with the Type S. Frankly the new Si is a dissapointment. Highly doubtful, but if the CTR makes it over then we have a winner. I would have liked the Si a lot more had it had the 8k redline and at least an option for the lip kit.

They hate us becuase they are jealous. Our cars are bad ass. More horspower, cool interior.

Thats the funniest thing Ive read all night. Who is jealous? EM2 Owners? Most of them laugh at how your car looks. More horsepower? The B16A2 from the EM1 Si has the same Hp as the K20A3, and weighs about 200-300 pounds lighter in a coupe for gods sake.

Brenetics
07-18-2002, 09:57 PM
AHH sup Magus, I remember readin your review of the 02 when you first test drove one on ClubSi. You seemed pretty enthused with it then..........what happened?

AkronSi
07-19-2002, 06:06 AM
I've had mine since April, and I've only had one person say anything negative.

Most people can't get enough, and ask me a ton of questions. Especially the shifter, everyone asks about it.

A friend of mine who is a total car nut and owns a Boxster, his second Porsche, loves my Si. He's always complimenting me on it. Another friend didn't like the looks at first, and totally loves them now too.

I have to say I got the Si over the RSX because it is so different. And, it's rare. I've only seen one other Si and that was in another state.

MagusDC5
07-19-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Brenetics
AHH sup Magus, I remember readin your review of the 02 when you first test drove one on ClubSi. You seemed pretty enthused with it then..........what happened?

ClubSi? You mean 7thgencivic, im a moderator there. Yes, I never said the car didn't have its strong points as it does have some good to it...I just feel that right out of the box it does not have what the EM1 had. With a little work though, im sure something can be done.

MoodySi
07-19-2002, 09:58 AM
The EM1 Si is a totally different car. It's more raw bare bones plastic and engine. The new Si is practically an RSX with a different shell.
The more I hear about old Si vs new Si the more I think they should not even be compared. I personally think the new Si is more classy than the old one.

HondaMan
07-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Right on MoodySi!

MagusDC5, please spare us your "expert" criticism. :rolleyes:

MagusDC5
07-19-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Right on MoodySi!

awww someone who cant take negative criticism on their car. Not like I came out bashing it.

DJQuikFingaz
07-19-2002, 02:50 PM
Not like I came out bashing it.
We don't want this place to end up like another clubsi with all that stupid flaming.

CleanBlackSi02
07-19-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Right on MoodySi!

Seriously....