PDA

View Full Version : brakes problem

NrGiNnY14
05-05-2008, 08:08 AM
alright heres the deal. well heres the situation, i got new pads and rotors around 2 weeks ago and the shit was squeaking like crazy, so i took it apart, and my drivers side rotor was warped, turns out the clip that holds the pads broke on the top, so i replaced it and got a new rotor, but used the same pads, and its still squeaking like crazy. it used to squeak at all times, now it just squeaks wen im on the brakes. any ideas?

also i used the red stuff on the back of the pads because supposedly it stops the squeaking but it still squeaks

mustclime
05-05-2008, 08:20 AM
go to your locao auto parts store and ask for some "brake prep" to stop the squeeking.....they will not what it is.

NrGiNnY14
05-05-2008, 08:25 AM
go to your locao auto parts store and ask for some "brake prep" to stop the squeeking.....they will not what it is.

i work at napa so yea lol. ive never heard of brake prep though. i kno we carry the brake disc quiet stuff which you put on the back of the pads which i already have, and didn't help. we also just started carrying this spray that you spray on the rotors and the face of the pads and suppossedly it gives it an even surface and suppossed to make the breaks last longer. is that what you are talking about?

mustclime
05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
i work at napa so yea lol. ive never heard of brake prep though. i kno we carry the brake disc quiet stuff which you put on the back of the pads which i already have, and didn't help. we also just started carrying this spray that you spray on the rotors and the face of the pads and suppossedly it gives it an even surface and suppossed to make the breaks last longer. is that what you are talking about?

Brake squeal is really a high speed rattle, you should have the "glue for the back of the pads,the grease for the slides the pad move along and you should make sure your rotors are clean from any "stuff" that could have gotten on them....also check you put the (rattle)clips on right the right way.

NrGiNnY14
05-10-2008, 09:39 PM
i just changed the rotor and pads AGAIN and its still squeeking bad. the old rotor was on the car for less then 200 miles and it was completely warped. i made sure everything was clean, i used the disk brake quiet stuff on the pads, and it still sounds horrible and gets worse every day. im out of ideas

jeenyusss
05-10-2008, 09:47 PM
its the supercharger i swear!!:mangel:

NrGiNnY14
05-10-2008, 09:52 PM
its the supercharger i swear!!:mangel:

probably is. its funny how now that the supercharger is fine, something else is messed up. did anyone say lemon?

NrGiNnY14
05-11-2008, 12:24 PM
bump for ideas

NrGiNnY14
05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
could it be possible that the hub is bent, or the wheel bearing is no good? would that cause the rotor to not sit properly?

siver-SI
05-11-2008, 02:31 PM
What about a bad caliper? If it is freezing up that would exlain the warped rotor from the heat. If you warped the rotor with heat you might have damaged the pads so they are not matting to the new rotor. Just an idea.

NrGiNnY14
05-11-2008, 03:28 PM
What about a bad caliper? If it is freezing up that would exlain the warped rotor from the heat. If you warped the rotor with heat you might have damaged the pads so they are not matting to the new rotor. Just an idea.

how would i be able to check if the caliper is bad?

siver-SI
05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
The first would be checking to see if there is any fluid leaking for it. 2nd does the pistion push back easy? With the wheel on and off the ground can you turn the wheel easy by hand? Also does your EP pull harder then normal to that side when off the brakes?

That is all I can think off from the top of my head. The service manual does not cover what to look for just how to fix it. :(

Danman281
05-11-2008, 04:53 PM
you try putting break quieter on there? Its this spray that comes in an aerosol can. Spray on the back of the pads, between that thin clip. I used to change brake pads all the time when I was in auto tech. We always used that stuff on every change.

talonXracer
05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Make sure the caliper pins move freely in the calipers and that there is grease in the pin holes and the rubber seal boots are not damaged.

Sounds like the pin bores have crud in them and the caliper is not moving and getting cocked in the frame.

NrGiNnY14
05-11-2008, 05:09 PM
The first would be checking to see if there is any fluid leaking for it. 2nd does the pistion push back easy? With the wheel on and off the ground can you turn the wheel easy by hand? Also does your EP pull harder then normal to that side when off the brakes?

That is all I can think off from the top of my head. The service manual does not cover what to look for just how to fix it. :(

1. no fluid leaking
2. the piston actually pushed back alot easier then the other side did, i could have probably pushed it by hand instead of having to use a tool
3. 1/2 of the rotor, the hub turns easily, and the other 1/2 its really hard to turn, and that was after i pumped the brakes btw
4. i dont notice anything with the car pulling to the side

you try putting break quieter on there? Its this spray that comes in an aerosol can. Spray on the back of the pads, between that thin clip. I used to change brake pads all the time when I was in auto tech. We always used that stuff on every change.

i did every time i changed them, doesn't do anything for me

Make sure the caliper pins move freely in the calipers and that there is grease in the pin holes and the rubber seal boots are not damaged.

Sounds like the pin bores have crud in them and the caliper is not moving and getting cocked in the frame.

i am going to take it apart again, but before i put the caliper back, i pushed the pins in and out and they moved pretty freely, and the rubber seal boots didn't look damaged

i will be taking it apart again tuesday with my friend. i might just changed the hub assembly, wheel bearing, caliper, pads and rotor all. i really do not want to do it but i can't be taking everything apart and reinstalling every week

also, from 5-0mph, it doesn't squeak anymore, but it makes a horrible grinding noise, which is pulsed just like the squeaking noise. the pulse gets slower as the speed decreases so something is rubbing the rotor wrong

NrGiNnY14
05-12-2008, 01:32 PM
bump

i put the silencer on my exhaust and i heard while i was driving the pads are hitting the rotors, it was squeaking even when i wasn't on the brakes

CivicS
05-12-2008, 04:28 PM
maybe its the Pads.......that make noise!

NrGiNnY14
05-13-2008, 06:04 AM
maybe its the Pads.......that make noise!

i already went through 2 sets of pads, 1 was ceramic, and 1 was non-ceramic. these should not be squeaking like this, especially when i'm not on the brakes

talonXracer
05-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Is the dust shield contacting the rotor?

NrGiNnY14
05-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Is the dust shield contacting the rotor?

nope, at first i thought it was because the side thats making the noise, the bottom of the shield is bent, but it has a good 2-3 inches of clearance from the rotor

NrGiNnY14
05-16-2008, 11:39 AM
bump for some more opinions. i took it apart AGAIN, the rotor looks bent when spinning compared to the caliper but the rotor is not. does that mean i need a new hub assembly and wheel bearing?

NrGiNnY14
05-18-2008, 06:26 AM
bump for still not knowing the answer

minivan_assassin
05-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Eh, at this point I'd say stop messing with your brakes and bring it to a shop so that they can watch the wheel spin while up on a rack and pinpoint the problem.

I do all my own mods and installed my bbk back in the day, but problems with brakes (that could get you hurt if they fail) is where I draw the line if it isn't a simple fix...and it seems like you've ruled out all the simple fixes.

MugsyTheGr8
05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
i think your past the internet diagnosis stage. all we can do without actually seeing the car and hear what the problem is for ourselves, is tell you likely places to look. after that we cant do much. like minivan said, it may be time to take it to a shop.

RHCP0801
05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
rotors keep warping? your putting your wheels on too tight...dont use an impact gun if you are. Another thing that could cause the rotor to not sit right is rust and buildup on the hub make sure its all smooth and if not sand it down

trickkykidd.02
05-19-2008, 10:20 PM
FYI... I have one bad caliper in the rear not leaking but uneven pad wear due to caliper needing rebuild. ( I did not experience any pulling just squeeling and grinding.)

Also I am using HPS pads they squeel sometimes and not other times but they are performance pads not luxury..

Thirdly if you work at Napa and you have messed with it this much already I would get some rebuilt calipers and start over. Or rebuild them yourself. look up DIY.

or better yet get RSX front calipers and new rotors redrilled to 4x100 from brake expert on Honda-tech.

I second the take it to the shop notion but be prepared to shell out for a fix. If something is bad on your front end assembly the RSX upgrade here you come.