PDA

View Full Version : gears popping out???

renovator
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
to guys with turbo setups, after hard driving do any of you have issues with your shifter feeling notchy, or even worse, the gears will pop out. i did one hard pull the other day and now 3 and 5 have trouble staying in gear. it feels more like a shift-linkage problem more than anything. has anyone else ever had this problem?

BlownSi05
05-06-2008, 05:54 AM
don't know if this happens in our tranny, but i know the rsx has an issue with the shafts separating under higher hp applications. basically the shafts pull apart slightly which let the gears only make contact close to the end of the teeth and it quickly grinds them down, eventually breaking that gear or gears. whether or not it causes the gears to pop out while driving i am not sure. its the only thing i could come up with...lol. again, i do not know if we have the same issue or not in our tranny.

renovator
05-06-2008, 07:29 AM
yikes. well, when it pops out i do hear a grind and it slips off. it happens to 3rd more than 5th. its weird. the problem doesn't occur everytime i shift to 3rd, but it will happen from time to time under normal driving

blueshark123
05-06-2008, 08:39 AM
yikes. well, when it pops out i do hear a grind and it slips off. it happens to 3rd more than 5th. its weird. the problem doesn't occur everytime i shift to 3rd, but it will happen from time to time under normal driving

Unfortunately that's a common problem with many k-series transmissions

renovator
05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Unfortunately that's a common problem with many k-series transmissions

hmm, i guess that's a "relief"

Jpax
05-06-2008, 12:15 PM
When was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? if your gears are poping out check your clearances on the charge pipe going into the throttlebodie, if its close to the swingarm of the trany it will cause it to pop out while driving.

the charge pipe might be to close to the swing arm, look for a ware mark on the charge pipe if there is one, you will need to loosen the couplers and move the pipe so it can clear the swing arm.

BlownSi05
05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
When was the last time you changed your tranny fluid? if your gears are poping out check your clearances on the charge pipe going into the throttlebodie, if its close to the swingarm of the trany it will cause it to pop out while driving.

the charge pipe might be to close to the swing arm, look for a ware mark on the charge pipe if there is one, you will need to loosen the couplers and move the pipe so it can clear the swing arm.

good word, i had forgotten all about that possibility.

renovator
05-08-2008, 03:32 PM

yousir are a genius. it is the charge pipe. :hug: :hippie:

civsirmt
05-08-2008, 06:02 PM
quality thread

v1c10us
05-08-2008, 06:08 PM
^ quality post..
<quality post..

mancalvo1
05-12-2014, 04:00 PM
I am not sure what you mean by the charge pipe. Can you take a pic? the heater pipe that goes to the throttle body is mounted and bolted to the side of the head and I have a shorty intake with plenty of clearance. I guess I will have to follow the linkages. Is the linkage adjustable to center the linkage or play? Intermittently under no load my fifth gear pops out and some time reverse is had to get in gear.

Any help is greatly appreciate.