PDA

View Full Version : waxing help

fobman
05-06-2008, 02:23 AM
newbie on waxing a car..
could someone write up a good detailed information how to wax a car?
using a meguire nxt tech wax
after wash and drying the car on a cool surface..
use wax pad to put the wax around the car and wait 15 min. and use microfiber towel to wipe off ??

shanewdude
05-06-2008, 03:56 AM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38655

This is good. From the sticky in the Car Care section.

OOPS! Doesn't seem to be complete...

Here's some of the stuff I use... Forget the yellow wax... it's all I could find. you have better wax with the NXT Tech stuff. The clay bar is wrapped up in the plastic. The Mother's Showtime detailer is for lubricating when using the clay bar.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/hat08_aroundavon_07.jpg?t=1210072879

Some important tips for you:
1. Wash from tallest point down. Rinse first, then use a soft wash mitt and start at highest point. You want to wash the dirt DOWN and off. I use a car wash soap... it doesn't strip your wax the way Dawn will. If you use dish soap, be careful, it can hurt your clear coat eventually.
2. My California Water Blade really works nicely to help dry the car. Just make sure there is NO DIRT on the car when you dry it. Use the waterblade and a chamois (shammy) to dry your car in the shade.
3. Make sure everything on your car is REALLY clean before you wax. Small bits of dirt = swirls in your clear coat.
4. Before waxing, a clay bars work great. I use one twice a year on my car. Wash and dry car really well, then using the spray lubricant that comes with the bar (I buy Mothers) you spray a small section at a time. Rub the clay bar back and forth and you will feel the surface junk that is still sticking to your paint come off. Works great for small tar spots and oxidation, and tree-sap, I hear.
5. In the shade, apply your wax with a CLEAN applicator pad. I do a few body sections at a time... roof, then buff off. Hood, then RF fender, then buff hood. Then passenger door, then buff fender... then RR quarter panel, then buff passenger door etc. I use microfiber towels to buff my car.

6. If you want to polish the car, do so before the waxing. Use a polishing compound such as the one Chinaboy mentions in his detailling bible. I haven't done this yet, so I can't speak about it with any authority.

7. Sit back and watch the sunset reflected on your car. Drink/intoxicant of your choice is recommended at this stage.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/mr_clean4.jpg?t=1210072463

SLOW EP3
05-06-2008, 08:24 AM
C'mon, it's easy! Wax on, wax off! :mbiggrin:

Here's a link:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80230-how-properly-wax-your-car.html

Chad
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
I find starting in the afternoon claybar into the evening then after it gets dark pulling it in the garage and waxing to be the best bet.

A. Paint is cool
B. keeps stuff off the car while you wax
C. You are gonna need a beer or 6

Also with the Claybar, the instructions say to claybar then wipe the "lubricant" (detailer) and grime off. That's a PITA IMHO, I just claybar it then re-wash it may seem like more trouble to re-wash it but trust me, in the end it's quicker.

Chad

humpmasterflex
05-06-2008, 08:38 AM
***WAXING DIY***

WAX ON

then

WAX OFF

***END oF DIY***

fobman
05-06-2008, 11:45 AM
okay i was just making sure
i'm going to go wax now haha
thanx guys

SLOW EP3
05-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Also with the Claybar, the instructions say to claybar then wipe the "lubricant" (detailer) and grime off. That's a PITA IMHO, I just claybar it then re-wash it may seem like more trouble to re-wash it but trust me, in the end it's quicker.

You suck at reading directions lol. You're supposed to use the Quick Detailer spray simultaneously with the clay bar, you can't "clay" a dry car. Don't even bother drying the car after the first wash, just start using the Lubricant spray and clay it. You want to keep your chunk of clay nice and wet and turn it over often. And yes, just wash it again when your done before you wax it.

This isn't hard guys, I can clay/wax a car in under an hour.

Chad
05-06-2008, 11:53 AM
That's EXACTLY what I do, but they want you to get the detailer off per section whereas I prefer to just hose the shit off instead of wiping off like the bottle says, I then do a quick re-wash and dry before it goes in the garage for wax. (some polish before also)

I guess I should have been more concise, when I said "claybar" I meant the "process of the clay baring"

SLOW EP3
05-06-2008, 03:39 PM
haha whoops I think I'm the one that sucks at reading :mbiggrin:

I'd be scared to just wipe that stuff off, hosing it is definetly safer. I'm going to have a looooooooong detail session this weekend so I'll post some pics later.