PDA

View Full Version : Clutch grabs too high.

Drew1d
05-06-2008, 10:37 AM
My clutch dis-engages almost as soon as I push down on the pedal. Is this just an adjustment?

Tnhatch03
05-06-2008, 10:40 AM
stock or aftermarket clutch?

sounds like a stock clutch.

Drew1d
05-06-2008, 10:42 AM
stock or aftermarket clutch?

sounds like a stock clutch.

Stock. 106k.

Didn't want to put that down first so people would say, "Oh you need a new clutch, like this Stage 4 clutch and super lightweight flywheel made of moon rock. Yeah, I had to mortgage my house but it shifts so smooth now." Especially, if I could adjust it and get another couple thousand miles.

If I do need a new clutch, I can't do it till mid-summer.

Tnhatch03
05-06-2008, 10:52 AM
lol @ reason for editing.

i am not saying you will need a new clutch or you need a high performance clutch. having detailed information is always better.

does the clutch slip? you check your clutch master cylinder? fluid level?

Drew1d
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
lol @ reason for editing.

i am not saying you will need a new clutch or you need a high performance clutch. having detailed information is always better.

does the clutch slip? you check your clutch master cylinder? fluid level?

Doesn't slip, I could even shift ok only pushing about half way down, not that I do that, mind you.

Fluid looks good, but hasn't been changed. (I'm sure it's due, perhaps this weekend.)

It's been this way for about 3 months now. The gears aren't notchy or anything like that. Just less comfortable if you know what I mean. I wanted to lookup the clutch push rod adjustment DIY, but I guess that was present only in "The Before-time" in the "Long-Long ago" when we had posts dated before '08 but after '04.

And sorry, didn't mean to jump down your throat about the performance clutch thing. I just think sometimes some members tend to think everything needs to be replaced with aftermarket parts before even troubleshooting the problem.

Tnhatch03
05-06-2008, 11:22 AM
The Clutch Pedal Push Rod is a mod for the squeaking clutch. Not so much for engagement. But since you asked, I found it for you.

Thanks I-Vtec.net

This is an oldie but a goodie.
This has helped some people solve grinding issues on K-Series transmissions, as well as squeeky clutch pedal issues. While this was written for the EP3, it should be the same for any K-Series car, as well as just about any car that uses a hydraulic clutch.
Also, this is pretty much a MUST if you install an aftermarket clutch+pressureplate, in order to get proper engagement/disengagement. That being said, on to the DIY:

Tools needed:
- 12mm wrench
- Small pair of vice grips
- A shop towel, rag, or some good grippy rubber gloves, to get a better grip on the pushrod when turning it
- A drop light/flashlight (unless you have super-uber-night-vision )

1) Slide your driver's seat all the way back, you'll need as much room as possible.
2) Remove the fuse panel cover.
3) Remove the lower panel above the pedals. There is a lock on it similar to the one on the fuse panel cover. Once it is undone, simply pull down to remove the panel.
4) Refer to image #1 below. Remove the plastic clip for the kickpanel (circled in red) by unscrewing it. This will provide you with a bit more room to work.

For steps 5 through 10, refer to image #2 below. Ignore the red goop everywhere, this is Mobil 1 Synthetic grease from a previous attempt at trying to stop the squeeking (and as we all know, it never works).

5) Take note of the angle that the pushrod enters the clutch master cylinder (CMC) on your car. It is most likely a downward angle. This means that there is slack between the pushrod and the piston in the CMC.
6) Begin by loosening the locknut with the 12mm wrench. You only need to break it loose by one or two threads.
7) Thread the pushrod out of the pushrod mounting bracket, by turning it clockwise. This will push it further into the CMC. This is where the rag/shop towel, or the grippy rubber gloves come in handy. The pushrod is a rather smooth surface and is hard to get a grip on, especially if there's grease all over it (god damn synthetic grease that never wears out ). As you're turning the pushrod, it will come to a point where it begins to get pretty hard to turn. At that point, you'll want to stop, and try pushing the clutch pedal down with your hand. There should be a tiny bit of free play, and then it should begin to get stiff. If there's no free play, then you've turned the pushrod into the CMC too much, and have put a preload on the piston in the CMC. If this is the case, back the pushrod out a bit until you get freeplay.
8) Once you have the pushrod adjusted and have made sure there is no preload on the CMC piston, take a look at the angle of the pushrod to the CMC. It should be pretty much 90 degrees. Much better then before, as there's now no slack.
9) Take your vicegrips, and clamp them on to the pushrod right where it enters the CMC.
10) Tighten the locknut using the 12mm wrench, while holding onto the vicegrips so that the pushrod does not back out of the CMC. Make sure the locknut is good and tight.
11) Thread the plastic clip from image #1 back onto it's stud. If it's becomming too much of a pain in the ass sitting there threading it on, you can usually just push it on.
12) Replace the lower cover, followed by the fuse panel cover.
13) Go for a test drive and enjoy your (hopefully) much better feeling clutch

Tnhatch03
05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Doesn't slip, I could even shift ok only pushing about half way down, not that I do that, mind you.

Fluid looks good, but hasn't been changed. (I'm sure it's due, perhaps this weekend.)

And sorry, didn't mean to jump down your throat about the performance clutch thing. I just think sometimes some members tend to think everything needs to be replaced with aftermarket parts before even troubleshooting the problem.

i know when i drove another EP with a stock clutch, it did not engage until it was about half way up. when comparing to mine, it engages as soon as you life up on the clutch. haha.

its okay man. hopefully you can get some more miles out of the clutch. but with that many miles, depending on how you drive, it could either be sooner rather than later or vice versa.

Drew1d
05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
i know when i drove another EP with a stock clutch, it did not engage until it was about half way up. when comparing to mine, it engages as soon as you life up on the clutch. haha.

its okay man. hopefully you can get some more miles out of the clutch. but with that many miles, depending on how you drive, it could either be sooner rather than later or vice versa.
Thanks for your help man. :mbiggrin:

Tnhatch03
05-06-2008, 11:34 AM
no problem.

hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and clear things up for both of us. haha.

BobSassafrass
05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
The push rod adjustments makes it so it engages right at the top of the pedal. This helps tremendously with making sure the clutch in completely depressed before you move the gears, atleast in my experience. You could adjust it the other way making it not engage till the bottom of the pedal. Just turn it clock wise instead.

I'm not expert this is just what I noticed when I did the adjustment. Most people like the clutch engaging at the top of the pedal.

chubbychu
05-06-2008, 11:14 PM
The push rod adjustments makes it so it engages right at the top of the pedal. This helps tremendously with making sure the clutch in completely depressed before you move the gears, atleast in my experience. You could adjust it the other way making it not engage till the bottom of the pedal. Just turn it clock wise instead.

I'm not expert this is just what I noticed when I did the adjustment. Most people like the clutch engaging at the top of the pedal.

I just did this yesterday again.

the pushrod adjustment mod works wonders. The EASIEST way to do it is to get an open ended 12mm, and just reach under without looking. If you feel you need to look while youre working, it makes it A LOT LOT LOT harder to do the adjustment. Just reach where the clutch attaches to the pushrod, and undo the 12mm nut. good luck

classiccelica
08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
I need to do this really badly tomorrow or tonight cuz I just did my six speed install and I already had the 05 type-s clutch and lightweight flywheel but it engages just like an inch or less off the floor and I get a grind sometimes into third if im not carefull with the pedal.

shivic
08-21-2008, 06:58 AM
when my clutch does that, it mean that the clutch material is worn away and the pressure plate is barely reaching to clamp down.

or it means the flywheels has been resurfaced too much.

classiccelica
08-21-2008, 12:53 PM
when my clutch does that, it mean that the clutch material is worn away and the pressure plate is barely reaching to clamp down.

or it means the flywheels has been resurfaced too much.

Nope everything brand spanking new, nothing has been resurfaced or worn down yet, just need adjust the slave cylinder thats all.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
08-16-2011, 06:53 PM
The Clutch Pedal Push Rod is a mod for the squeaking clutch. Not so much for engagement. But since you asked, I found it for you.

Thanks I-Vtec.net

bump...i wish there were pictures for this...i might attempt to do this tonight. if i get a chance i will snap pictures

EDIT: go to the link below!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?65613-DIY-squeaky-clutch-fix-clutch-push-rod-adjustment