PDA

View Full Version : Rear strut bar for autocross

siver-SI
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Just wondering what are some good rear strut bars for a autocross setup? I would like to stay around $100 if I can. I just am not sure about a E-bay setup since most of them are so cheap in price.

Less cutting I had to do for it to fit the better.

Thanks

Windchaser
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Just wondering what are some good rear strut bars for a autocross setup? I would like to stay around $100 if I can. I just am not sure about a E-bay setup since most of them are so cheap in price.

Less cutting I had to do for it to fit the better.

Thanks

ebay. rear strut bar is not needed for auto-cross

siver-SI
05-06-2008, 04:08 PM
ebay. rear strut bar is not needed for auto-cross

What is a good one then to get. I was thinking e-bay was out.

RedSiBaron
05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
you wont notice it back there, get a rear sway if you dont have one, that will make a much much much much bigger difference...but i can only assume you already have a rear sway bar

siver-SI
05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Yea I have the progress 24mm adjustable one.

K-Shark
05-06-2008, 04:14 PM
i have the CTR rear sway and ebay rear strut bar. i didn't notice shit after i put it on, but that might be b/c i can bend the ebay bar over my knee...

if i had to do it again i'd opt for the OEM CTR rear strut bar or the corsport one.

have you considered a mugen "H" bar?

JohnnyTavo
05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I dont' see how a rear strut bar is going to help a car go around cones at 40 mph, there are so many better ways to spend that money

Gasp23
05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I have the CTR Rear Sway bar and the CTR Rear Strut bar. I like the setup and it's OEM.

MugsyTheGr8
05-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I dont' see how a rear strut bar is going to help a car go around cones at 40 mph, there are so many better ways to spend that money

agreed, they really don't do shit but look cool.

Windchaser
05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
$100 = 2 hookers!!!

siver-SI
05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Ok thought I read before the crash that they helped. Guess I was thinking wrong. If it does not do crap then I will forget it. Might be the reason there are not a lot of them on the market.

04cvcsi
05-06-2008, 07:59 PM
$100 = 2 hookers!!!
damn, if they're that cheap then i wouldn't be surprised they came w/ bonus STDs
SCORE

ep3civic2nr
05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
i love my carbing one.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7282/img0760ch8.jpg

20CiviC02Si
05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey Neal,

I strongly reccomend saving up the cash for the RSX-S Mugen Rear Strut Bar "H-Pillar Bar". I know many say you won't feel the difference, but i guaranty you that you will. The rear of the car felt more stable than without, and really helped reduce the flex in the chassis. It's price i won't kid ya, but well worth the money!

Also the Carbing Aluminum 4 point rear strut bar is also awesome. I will eventually be dropping the $350 to have one shipped over here. Look for 1 piece bars, because overall rigidity is 10 times that of the typical 3 piece strut bars!

MidnightRacer59
05-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Neal,

I strongly reccomend saving up the cash for the RSX-S Mugen Rear Strut Bar "H-Pillar Bar". I know many say you won't feel the difference, but i guaranty you that you will. The rear of the car felt more stable than without, and really helped reduce the flex in the chassis. It's price i won't kid ya, but well worth the money!

Also the Carbing Aluminum 4 point rear strut bar is also awesome. I will eventually be dropping the $350 to have one shipped over here. Look for 1 piece bars, because overall rigidity is 10 times that of the typical 3 piece strut bars!

I SO WANT EITHER THE MUGEN OR THE CARBING!!!!! SOON ENOUGH!!!!

Windchaser
05-06-2008, 10:41 PM
i love my cusco one.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7282/img0760ch8.jpg

you said cusco, but that's a carbing one.

jw1
05-07-2008, 01:08 AM
The EP3 doesn't have rear struts. Given the loads seen on the backs of our cars, and how these things mount, a rear strut bar isn't going to make a difference other than adding some weight to the car.

ep3civic2nr
05-07-2008, 06:06 AM
you said cusco, but that's a carbing one.

meant carbing lol.

4angrybadgers
05-07-2008, 06:19 AM
The EP3 doesn't have rear struts. Given the loads seen on the backs of our cars, and how these things mount, a rear strut bar isn't going to make a difference other than adding some weight to the car.

Look at your suspension and tell me you don't have struts (shocks, dampers, whatever) in the back. Hint: it's inside those large springs that help hold up the rear of the car.

FCobra94
05-07-2008, 07:45 AM
I have a Mugen replica mid-brace rrear bar. Works great and it was definitely worth the ~$60 I paid for it. It definitely felt a difference :mcool:

RedSiBaron
05-07-2008, 08:27 AM

what exactly are you talking about...

Zzyzx
05-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Look at your suspension and tell me you don't have struts (shocks, dampers, whatever) in the back. Hint: it's inside those large springs that help hold up the rear of the car.

the front end is a strut, the rear end is a spring & damper. And though that may sound the same, they are vastly different.

See, a "strut" is a spring & damper assembly that is also a Primary Load bearing & centering suspension part. In other words, a strut assembly replaces the upper control arm assembly, while also performing the duty of a normal Spring & damper assembly.

Wikipedia says this:

An automotive suspension strut combines the primary function of a shock absorber (as a damper), with the ability to support sideways loads not along its axis of compression, somewhat similar to a sliding pillar suspension, thus eliminating the need for an upper suspension arm. This means that a strut must have a more rugged design, with mounting points near its middle for attachment of such loads.

The rear end of our cars has a multi link A-arm suspension... meaning it has both an upper and lower control arm. Therefor the spring & damper assembly does not have to absorb lateral loads, and is not designed for it. So it is not a strut.

You could say that all struts are shocks, but not all shocks are struts.

As far as the usefulness of a rear tie bar on this car, or tie bars in general... You might, and I mean Might, see a tenth or more likely a hundredth of a second difference between having and not having that tie bar. You may "feel" a difference, but "Feel" doesn't translate well to improved lap times.

Basically, save such braces for the end of your list of tuning options, as they give you the least amount of benefit... and tend to be costly.

My opinion, spend that $100 on a set of suspension bushings.

20CiviC02Si
05-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Zzyzx is correct on this topic. I would definitely save the cash for bushings as well. They are the backbone of all suspension work. However the bushing kit may be relatively cheap to purchase, they are expensive and timely to install. You can do it yourself that is for sure, but it's almost worth having a shop do it for you. That way you can save yourself the headaches.

I plan on installing new bushings in January, because by then i'll have another car. I can't afford any down time, and because my EP is my DD. I can't afford to do this modifications just yet....

siver-SI
05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Yea I am saving up for a press I need it for a few old truck prodjects around the house.

BTW where can I get the carbing bar from?

If I install anything I need to be able to still use the rear of my EP with the seats down. mostly just for taking my dog to the vet and places.

20CiviC02Si
05-07-2008, 01:26 PM
You can fold the seats up and down freely with the Mugen bar. Just letting you know, as for a place to pick up the carbing bar. Google search for a shop that sell carbing. It's a special order item.

Part number is 663 218 0

siver-SI
05-07-2008, 01:29 PM
You can fold the seats up and down freely with the Mugen bar. Just letting you know, as for a place to pick up the carbing bar. Google search for a shop that sell carbing. It's a special order item.

Where is a good place for the Mugen I looked at King's but did not see it listed unless I am missing it?

Think after I get my rear brakes done this will be my next buy.

20CiviC02Si
05-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Oh and if you do buy that press, you should do my bushings while you're at it!

20CiviC02Si
05-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Where is a good place for the Mugen I looked at King's but did not see it listed unless I am missing it?

Think after I get my rear brakes done this will be my next buy.You have to look under RSX.

RedSiBaron
05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
the front end is a strut, the rear end is a spring & damper. And though that may sound the same, they are vastly different.

See, a "strut" is a spring & damper assembly that is also a Primary Load bearing & centering suspension part. In other words, a strut assembly replaces the upper control arm assembly, while also performing the duty of a normal Spring & damper assembly.

Wikipedia says this:

The rear end of our cars has a multi link A-arm suspension... meaning it has both an upper and lower control arm. Therefor the spring & damper assembly does not have to absorb lateral loads, and is not designed for it. So it is not a strut.

You could say that all struts are shocks, but not all shocks are struts.

As far as the usefulness of a rear tie bar on this car, or tie bars in general... You might, and I mean Might, see a tenth or more likely a hundredth of a second difference between having and not having that tie bar. You may "feel" a difference, but "Feel" doesn't translate well to improved lap times.

Basically, save such braces for the end of your list of tuning options, as they give you the least amount of benefit... and tend to be costly.

My opinion, spend that $100 on a set of suspension bushings.

good explanation, i knew they werent struts but i felt like there was more too it....

siver-SI
05-07-2008, 02:16 PM
You have to look under RSX.

Thanks found it now. I see it is listed under the front and the rear and I just saw the front last time.

Just wondering I know you are paying in part for the name and I looked there are some replica ones out there are they any good or just go Mugan and for it?

20CiviC02Si
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
They have Mugen replicas if that is what you are looking for. But i buy authentic!

siver-SI
05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok just wondering. I knew there were some knock offs there were just as good as real with out the name but some other items real is the only way to go.

FCobra94
05-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Ok just wondering. I knew there were some knock offs there were just as good as real with out the name but some other items real is the only way to go.
Agreed.

If you wanted their suspension, or something else, I'd have to agree but the replica bar is made very well. Clean welds, great fit, etc.

jimmyjames
05-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Ebay. I have one and it works as well as any other would.
Solid piece of metal with 2 loops on the ends. Not hard to make that.
I have an Ebay one I bought off another member.
I think it was $9 when I got my hands on it.
I have other suspension mods to carry the brunt of performance.

MidnightRacer59
05-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Part number is 663 218 0

If any one is interested in ordering the 4 point 1 piece carbing bar for the EP3, let me know...I have contact information of a company based out of california that would be willing to order the carbing bar ....

03silverEP
05-16-2008, 01:09 AM
They have Mugen replicas if that is what you are looking for. But i buy authentic!

it's metal cut, welded, and a sticker is applied buy the replica....