PDA

View Full Version : love bugs

ep3dan
05-06-2008, 05:22 PM
well love bug season is coming and i would really hate to see my car hit with so many. so today i remembered i saw someone drive w/blue painters tape on the front of there ep from miami to orlando. so was wondering if i could get away with leaving it in the sun for a couple of hours? or if you guys have any suggestions to prevent the blood from sticky to the bumpers. anything would help thanks.

player757
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
i hate bugs. They know my car they see it call it white thunder then dive bomb my bumper at high speeds. its like there searching it out

talonXracer
05-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Dupli-color makes a clear spray that works very well. It makes a form fitted plastic shield that comes right off with a high pressure hose.

God how I hate LoveBugs, it really sucks when riding a motorcycle and hitting a swarm.

cow
05-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Coming? They assaulted Louisiana about a month ago.

ep3dan
05-07-2008, 08:57 AM
yea im in orlando and they come when the seasons change. okay maybe you can help. what did you do to to avoid those sexaholics?

Chad
05-07-2008, 09:11 AM
WTF is a love-bug?

SLOW EP3
05-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I think they look like this:

http://www.bradfitzpatrick.com/weblog/wp-content/files/bf_love_big_pictire_01.gif

Painter's tape would be fine, but that's only a temporary solution. You might be able to find a used bra in the Classified section. Or if you're really serious about a permanent solution, you could get the Lamin-x film for the whole front end. That's expensive though.

I would just make sure the front bumper/hood are really well waxed and it shouldn't be too hard to clean off. Rain-X the windshield too.

ep3dan
05-08-2008, 03:53 AM
WTF is a love-bug?

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/flash517/Lovebugs.jpg

from what i hear they are the worst bug for you car. its weird i know. i think some of the states get them. idk first time experiencing these bugs.

KrypTOniTE
05-08-2008, 10:12 AM
I turn on my sprinklers... so they can go away!!!

talonXracer
05-08-2008, 10:39 AM
They are not even a native species, they were manipulated on the campus in Gainsville and escaped and are now a plague.

ep3dan
05-09-2008, 11:45 AM
They are not even a native species, they were manipulated on the campus in Gainsville and escaped and are now a plague.

yea i heard they were created to kill the mosquitoes and they failed. who knows i just dont want them on the front of the ep.

benkieboy
05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
i hate bugs!!

creamSODA
05-09-2008, 08:29 PM
grrrr love bugs

jeenyusss
05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
ive never had experience with love bugs (at least i dont think) but when i drive up tacnoic my car gets covered the whole front. what i found works best is the "do it yourself" car wash place some have a dial for bug remover, whatever the foam is, it takes them right off:madgrin:

DericSh
05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
fabric softener sheets!

they are annoying. drive on the highway for a few hours and your windshield becomes opaque.

blackhatchsi
05-09-2008, 09:37 PM
For all you guys that don't know about love bugs, they have an acid in their blood/guts (whatever). Birds don't eat them and neither do a lot of predatory insects like spiders that helps keep native insect populations in check. So, there are swarms of these things and it is a constant pelting on your paint as you drive down the road. The acidic quality of their fluids causes permanant damage to your clearcoat and paint if you leave them splattered on your car for more than a day or two. It's like the clearcoat starts pitting where the bugs hit. The front of my car looks like TOTAL A*S thanks to the liitle bastards and the previous owner was a lazy jackass and totally neglected this. :tsk:

thisisagame24
05-09-2008, 10:21 PM
not much of a love bug problem up here.....but making sure the front end is waxed should help the romoval of the bugs when giving the ep a good bath

hatch404
05-10-2008, 10:47 AM
So let's all get some aftermath shots. Mine looked like hell! Unfortunately I already washed it. But still looks like hell from all the rock chips and shit :(

proudtobeawesom
05-10-2008, 11:13 AM
what about that lamin-x front car cover from corsport i think? they give you a hood/bumper/fenders clear sticker thing

~kevin

here it is

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_17&products_id=412

talonXracer
05-10-2008, 01:47 PM
It truly sucked hitting a swarm while on a bike with an open face helmet.

But as I mentioned before try this on your ride, http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html

SI in GA
05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Last year just wash and waxed the car. After that I would wash every couple days and sprayed on a coat of detailer. Did the same to our Quest they slide right off with out scrubbing.

jdmbm
05-30-2008, 01:57 PM
i was working down in florida last year, around this time, and DAMN! those are some evil bastard bugs. the positive was i had a rental, but i bet avis was pissed when i returned the car. it was white, when i signed it out.

biga2442
06-26-2008, 09:03 PM
well love bug season is coming and i would really hate to see my car hit with so many. so today i remembered i saw someone drive w/blue painters tape on the front of there ep from miami to orlando. so was wondering if i could get away with leaving it in the sun for a couple of hours? or if you guys have any suggestions to prevent the blood from sticky to the bumpers. anything would help thanks.

that blue 3m tape is the bomb, no it wont do any perminent damage to your car, I used to run a audio shop and we used it on everythign form austin martins to ferraris and sometimes left it on for days, if you get any residue a little all purpose will take it right off

Draw7Seven
06-26-2008, 09:40 PM
that blue 3m tape is the bomb, no it wont do any perminent damage to your car, I used to run a audio shop and we used it on everythign form austin martins to ferraris and sometimes left it on for days, if you get any residue a little all purpose will take it right off

Don't leave it on after it gets wet.

I really would just go with a few coats of good wax. Just keep cycling that when you wash it, and use a car wash solution that won't eat all the wax layers off the car. As long as the bug guts sit on the surface of that wax, your clearcoat should be good--that's what wax is for.