PDA

View Full Version : headunit install

the JigGa mAn
05-06-2008, 11:28 PM
i might pick up a used alpine 9885, i was wonder what im going to need like harnesses, dash kits etc...

(im buying it from CRSX, so it was in a rsx)

liquid cooled
05-07-2008, 05:55 AM
metra dash kit and metra wire harness, soldering gun, solder heat shrinks, not being a complete idiot with what your doing. and the manual for the headunit (you can download that from alpine). Other than that thats all your going to need.

I know metra of scoshe makes a color matched single din unit for the Ep3

Just make sure you ISO mount it with screws on the side using the factory bracket (dont do the stupid cage mount thing.)

CivicS
05-07-2008, 07:31 AM
check with cluthfiled....they do sell the custom kit

liquid cooled
05-07-2008, 07:49 AM
^ there also about 4 times the price they should be from crutchfield, ebay is probably your best bet for the dash kit and harness. Alot of local places will have the wire harness, the dash kit probably not.

the JigGa mAn
05-07-2008, 12:12 PM
metra dash kit and metra wire harness, soldering gun, solder heat shrinks, not being a complete idiot with what your doing. and the manual for the headunit (you can download that from alpine). Other than that thats all your going to need.

I know metra of scoshe makes a color matched single din unit for the Ep3

Just make sure you ISO mount it with screws on the side using the factory bracket (dont do the stupid cage mount thing.)

wow! what will i need soldering gun, solder heat shrinks for?

i thought this would just be R&R :(

**also it comes with EVERYTHING, hes including the wiring harnesses that would be needed, manual, remote etc.**

SyckSiR
05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
wow! what will i need soldering gun, solder heat shrinks for?

i thought this would just be R&R :(

**also it comes with EVERYTHING, hes including the wiring harnesses that would be needed, manual, remote etc.**

soldering iron and heat shrink is to give u proper connections and make it look pretty and proffessional. all soldering and heat shrink can be done with the unit out of the car. dont use those gay wire connectors they dont work well at all....

Fish
05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
soldering iron and heat shrink is to give u proper connections and make it look pretty and proffessional. all soldering and heat shrink can be done with the unit out of the car. dont use those gay wire connectors they dont work well at all....
What's the point of doing that? no one can see it anyways...

Best bet is to get a good wire stripper, strip all the wires on the wiring harness from the unit then your aftermarket harness, tape them together good, then plug and play. That's what I did and it works wonderful.

If you have the 04-05 EP make sure you get the metra dash kit and not the scosche. The scosche one doesn't match the dash.

the JigGa mAn
05-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Best bet is to get a good wire stripper, strip all the wires on the wiring harness from the unit then your aftermarket harness, tape them together good, then plug and play. That's what I did and it works wonderful.

If you have the 04-05 EP make sure you get the metra dash kit and not the scosche. The scosche one doesn't match the dash.

thanks but i got a 03...

so im going to chop up the wireharness that in the car and chop it up and tape/solder it to the harness from the headunit?

Fish
05-07-2008, 03:38 PM
No! Don't touch the factory harness!

The head unit should come with it's own plug that goes into the HU, then has a bunch of wires off of it. An aftermarket harness made for your car such as the Scosche one or Metra one, whichever you choose, will have a plug for the car's factory harness and then a bunch of wires that match up to the wires on the head unit's harness. You connect all the wires that correspond to each other from your aftermarket harness to the head unit harness and then plug them into the places they need to be so everything is hooked together and there's no messing with the factory one.

Chad
05-07-2008, 06:24 PM

The scosche thing is no joke, I had NO IDEA there were different colors (dashes)

I prefer solder and adhesive lined heatshrink, that tape goes to hell under heat and can un-wrap, twisted connections eventually oxidize and cause higher resistance connections, then the goo from the tape sinks in (capillary action and you have a fine mess.

the JigGa mAn
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
The scosche thing is no joke, I had NO IDEA there were different colors (dashes)

I prefer solder and adhesive lined heatshrink, that tape goes to hell under heat and can un-wrap, twisted connections eventually oxidize and cause higher resistance connections, then the goo from the tape sinks in (capillary action and you have a fine mess.

too bad you live in bufu!! or id ask you to help me!

im sure ill manage thou

Fish
05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
too bad you live in bufu!! or id ask you to help me!

im sure ill manage thou
I wouldn't worry, I had very limited wiring experience and it was a breeze for me. Hardest part was getting the dash back together (and then I forgot to plug the antenna into the head unit, oh man I was pist!)

Chad
05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't worry, I had very limited wiring experience and it was a breeze for me. Hardest part was getting the dash back together (and then I forgot to plug the antenna into the head unit, oh man I was pist!)

Oh, Oh, Oh, and don't forget that although we don't have a power antenna in a sense that we are used to it still needs to be hooked up! Our antenna is amplified and does require +12V at the harness, and that's one thing that got lost in the crash that I need to re-look-up, and I'm on my Linux machine now and don't have it handy :mfrown: Without the power going to the antenna housing the reception suxorz.

One big "Doh" on my part at first :mredface:

the JigGa mAn
05-08-2008, 01:32 AM
ugh, ok so the asshole sold the 9885 to someone else, so im just going to pick up a new 9886...does anyone have the 9886? and can you change the colors of the buttons to match the amber of our dash? cause on the 9885 you could

Chad
05-08-2008, 07:08 AM
That sucks :(

Alpine's amber is damn close so alpine's site should tell you all.

liquid cooled
05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
dont half ass it solder your connections, and dont touch the factory wire harness buy the adapter that plugs into it. Its not hard, a trained monkey could do it.

NitroBoarder
05-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh, Oh, Oh, and don't forget that although we don't have a power antenna in a sense that we are used to it still needs to be hooked up! Our antenna is amplified and does require +12V at the harness, and that's one thing that got lost in the crash that I need to re-look-up, and I'm on my Linux machine now and don't have it handy :mfrown: Without the power going to the antenna housing the reception suxorz.

good thing I read this...I didn't hook mine up b/c it's not really a power antenna. I don't listen to the radio, so I haven't noticed it. and yea, solder your freaking connections, it takes like an extra 10 minutes.

hondacur
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM

So how exactly does that get hooked up? I think that is my problem with poor reception.

Chad
08-26-2008, 07:09 PM
So how exactly does that get hooked up? I think that is my problem with poor reception.

uuuhhmmmm, I need to look up that color code again. Some harnesses have the ant wire included, some don't. Did you buy a harness to go to the plug on the car's harness? If so did it have a power antenna wire?

Chad
08-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Yellow wire with a green stripe in the radio harness... :D

Found it

hondacur
08-28-2008, 08:50 AM
thanks for the help!! Problem solved:mbiggrin: