PDA

View Full Version : Painting interior pieces

BobSassafrass
05-07-2008, 02:01 AM
My silver interior pieces are looking pretty ugly and scratched up. By interior pieces I mean the silver door handle inserts, silver dash, etc. Anyway I plan on repainting them with some rattle cans but I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to what color would match best to the silver. Also is it best to sand the pieces first?

I'll post pics once it's done.

VegaS10
05-07-2008, 03:55 AM
My door handles, exit handles, power lock switch, center dash, a-pillars, b-pillars, c-pillars, sunvisors, and dome lights are all black now. So, basically everything plastic I could remove....is now black.

I cleaned them with some "prep-all" from a paint shop, scuffed them up with some 1600 or 1200 grit, sprayed some adhesion promotor and used SEM landau black. It's a very dull semi gloss that looks OEM.

lordofthesiths
05-07-2008, 08:18 AM
My door handles, exit handles, power lock switch, center dash, a-pillars, b-pillars, c-pillars, sunvisors, and dome lights are all black now. So, basically everything plastic I could remove....is now black.

I cleaned them with some "prep-all" from a paint shop, scuffed them up with some 1600 or 1200 grit, sprayed some adhesion promotor and used SEM landau black. It's a very dull semi gloss that looks OEM.

You have pics so we can see?
sounds like it came out good.

VegaS10
05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I just posted pics in the member's rides section. Check it out.

BobSassafrass
05-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Awesome info. Anyone know what paint would match best to the stock silver?

kaisertj
05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I was once told Honda sold the Oem interior silver paint. I think it comes in six ounce cans. I could have swore Ive seen it.

proudtobeawesom
05-08-2008, 02:28 PM
that satin black looks sick!!!

~kevin

civictype_r04
05-08-2008, 03:40 PM

I just ordered this stuff I got the SEM adhesion promoter and the SEM Landau black paint I got a can of both you think that will be enough? I will get 1600 grit sand paper from a local chop. Do I need anything else?

VegaS10
05-08-2008, 05:41 PM
You will use very little adhesion promotor. Maybe 2 gentle layers per piece.

1 can of black?....Depends on what you plan on doing. I did EVERYTHING that was not already black.

Starting from the front:

A-pillars
sunvisors
mirrors on visors
sunvisor clips
radio trim
shifter trim
door handles
door release handles
power lock switch

B-pillars
seatbelt clip covers

sunroof handle

dome light

headliner clip

C-pillars

I did it in sections and did it over a few days. I'm really anal about this stuff and cleaned everything before painting. I used a 1200 grit scrub pad, not paper (check your autobody paint supply place for it).

Rough each piece up with the pad.

Scrub them in clean soapy dishwater.

Rinse and dry.

After drying, wipe them down with "prep-all". This will remove any oils and soap left on the plastics.

Spray a gentle coat of adhesion promotor. FOLLOW the directions on the cans and you'll be good.

Be patient and let everything dry between each coat. I hung all my pieces with thread from a brace in my garage. No wind, no trash in the paint and I can control the temperature.

I did this back in January and have had no problems. I carry my kids to school everymorning and even they have'nt been able to scratch anything!

BobSassafrass
05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I was once told Honda sold the Oem interior silver paint. I think it comes in six ounce cans. I could have swore Ive seen it.

Would be great if they did, I'm gonna call and check tomorrow.

civictype_r04
05-10-2008, 08:33 AM
You will use very little adhesion promotor. Maybe 2 gentle layers per piece.

1 can of black?....Depends on what you plan on doing. I did EVERYTHING that was not already black.

Starting from the front:

A-pillars
sunvisors
mirrors on visors
sunvisor clips
radio trim
shifter trim
door handles
door release handles
power lock switch

B-pillars
seatbelt clip covers

sunroof handle

dome light

headliner clip

C-pillars

I did it in sections and did it over a few days. I'm really anal about this stuff and cleaned everything before painting. I used a 1200 grit scrub pad, not paper (check your autobody paint supply place for it).

Rough each piece up with the pad.

Scrub them in clean soapy dishwater.

Rinse and dry.

After drying, wipe them down with "prep-all". This will remove any oils and soap left on the plastics.

Spray a gentle coat of adhesion promotor. FOLLOW the directions on the cans and you'll be good.

Be patient and let everything dry between each coat. I hung all my pieces with thread from a brace in my garage. No wind, no trash in the paint and I can control the temperature.

I did this back in January and have had no problems. I carry my kids to school everymorning and even they have'nt been able to scratch anything!

Would One can be enough to do this?

radio trim
shifter trim
door handles
door release handles
power lock switch

RedSiBaron
05-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Would One can be enough to do this?

radio trim
shifter trim
door handles
door release handles
power lock switch

yah prolly, i mean, get 2 to be safe, worst case senario is you end up with an extra can to touch it up with when it gets messed up down the road

civictype_r04
05-10-2008, 07:00 PM
yah prolly, i mean, get 2 to be safe, worst case senario is you end up with an extra can to touch it up with when it gets messed up down the road

Good thinking thanks man.