PDA

View Full Version : Well, I don't think it's the steering rack....

Chad
05-07-2008, 07:30 AM
This morning I noticed a squeaking popping from the passenger side front when when backing into my spot, For some time I've heard an occasional pop when going thru the motions. This is under heavy steering (lots of wheel movement) It does not do it from starting and stopping, only when turning the wheel. I went out just now with a co-worker to see if it did it cold and it was not as bad and really only did it on the extreme ends of the wheel travel (like the last quarter turn of the wheel) It's a nice dull metal squeak, like compressed, dissimilar metal on metal.

For shits and grins I popped the hood and you can totally feel it in the strut tower when you put your hand on it.

Now, here's where my suspension noobishness comes to full view. I note that the spring moves with the steering, what is above that? Does the top spring "seat" stay motionless while the bottom moves? Could this be as simple as oxidation or a rock up in there rubbing as the spring flexes/moves?

oldschoolimport
05-07-2008, 07:31 AM
the top hat is mounted to the strut tower. under that there is a "bearing", then the spring seat. you probably need to regrease the bearing. its binding, and making the spring jump.

Chad
05-07-2008, 07:36 AM
the top hat is mounted to the strut tower. under that there is a "bearing", then the spring seat. you probably need to regrease the bearing. its binding, and making the spring jump.

Is there a handy-dandy pic of said bearing? I assume the lubrication process is not a matter of getting up in there without disassembly.

Your analysis sounds DEAD ON from what I was observing!

oldschoolimport
05-07-2008, 07:37 AM
lemme break out the soul train scramble board...

the spring sits in the rubber spring seat (2) which sits in the metal spring seat (7). the bearing (9) sits between the metal spring seat and the shock mount (10/11). the bearing needs to have grease on both sides, because this is what lets the assembly turn independently of the upper mount. most likely, that is binding, and when it decides to move, you hear the popping.

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5955/14s5s0b28wv3.gif

Chad
05-07-2008, 07:41 AM
You are a badass!

So if I jacked up the car and put it on stands, then removed 12 and 14 while lowering that side of the front end I could likely access it without having danger of popping the front axle out and making me more gray in the beard?

Or is this process much more of a PITA? Would be sweet if there were grease zirks on modern cars eh?

oldschoolimport
05-07-2008, 07:44 AM
:yo:

with the car on the ground, you can remove the nut on the strut rod (14), slowly jack up the car just enough to clear the rod from the upper mount, clean, grease, and re-install the bearing, and bolt it back together. if it was me, with 2 more bolts (13/15), you can remove the whole thing, clean it real good, and reassemble it right. if you don't have spring compressors, taking off the center strut rod nut will use the weight of the car to decompress the spring as you jack the car.

oldschoolimport
05-07-2008, 07:46 AM
OH, you probably need to get a friend or 2. with the sway bar connected, you will need to drop and reinstall both sides simultaneously, or you will need to remove an end link so each side will droop independently.

Fico
05-07-2008, 07:46 AM
colins car did this i beloive it was fixed by spraying a bunch of crap on it and replacing the bearing just incase

Chad
05-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Got me a sat night project :D

Thanks Wes!

Suspension is one of those things I have never really worked much with but this problem seemed to obvious to be all that serious.

Chad
05-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Is this a common problem that pops up? Especially after 50K miles?

oldschoolimport
05-07-2008, 07:50 AM
its easy. but like Fico mentioned, you could drop them just enough to spray some white lithium in there, if you don't want to take alot of time. if I was that far, I'd go ahead and do a full clean/regrease. you have my cell if you run into any problems.

I don't think its real common, but it does happen.

Chad
05-07-2008, 08:00 AM
You know this issue could be more common than some think, I remember reading threads of feeling a "loose feel" or "popping feel" while going around a corner, especially over bumps. Well if those bumps are quickly loading and unloading that bearing I could totally see how the spring woudl jump at each bump causing this sensation.

Now I'm talking out of my ass but it just came to mind.

Fico
05-07-2008, 08:04 AM
yeah id say pick up a new bearing and throw it in there while you have it apart its like a 14$ part why not get a little extra security

oldschoolimport
05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
a new bearing wouldn't hurt, but its probably just dry.

RedSiBaron
05-07-2008, 08:42 AM
a new bearing wouldn't hurt, but its probably just dry.

yah i vote replacing the damn thing, they are only 20 bucks each from honda, do both sides...

i thought i had this problem but it went away...it seems like it isnt common, but it happens...

.colin
05-07-2008, 01:39 PM
my car made this sound too. i bought a new bearing but didn't put it in. i just lubed the shit out of the spring/seat/bearing with some spray lubricant. anyways, it fixed the problem :mbiggrin: