PDA

View Full Version : I think my alternator is going

oneglory
05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
whats the life expectancy of our alternator? My car is idling a bit weird, particular when my radio is turned up a bit past normal.

talonXracer
05-07-2008, 06:17 PM
It really depends on how much abuse you have given it and the battery.

oneglory
05-07-2008, 06:33 PM
define abuse?

all I have is an aftermarket radio and polk speakers...no subs or amps or anything.

talonXracer
05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
How is your battery condition?

The alternators are expensive as hell NIB.

Princess
05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Can you take your alternator off and go get it checked?

paulmofyourhand
05-07-2008, 06:44 PM
oreilly/autozone can test it for free. battery and alternator.
and check ur grounds

try a ground kit after you fix the problem.

civictype_r04
05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I agree take it to a parts store or do a test on it yourself to see whats up.

Tnhatch03
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
taking the alternator is not hard, but can be a PITB.

check other things before you start tearing into the alternator.

Chad
Do you have voltage fluctuations or bearing noise?

If the alternator is loading weird it could also be the ELD circuit bringing it in and out of high current production.

sleepingblacksi
I blew one on my 02...went too car-quest and got a new one for 300$ garage price :mcry:

it blew like 3 times ever since :target:...good thing it was on warranty but i still hate needing too change it

btw i'm all oem on electric

oneglory
05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Do you have voltage fluctuations or bearing noise?

If the alternator is loading weird it could also be the ELD circuit bringing it in and out of high current production.

my eld is new.

Chad
05-08-2008, 07:35 AM
What was the reason for replacement? I smell a fish bit it's not coming from the alternator :)

Hoff
05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
So when I have my music turned up and my headlights are flashing...thats probably not a good thing huh? Best way to avoid that?

oneglory
05-08-2008, 07:43 PM
What was the reason for replacement? I smell a fish bit it's not coming from the alternator :)

what?

i replaced it when the code popped up with my O2 sensor.

Chad
05-08-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm wondering if the ELD circuit, although not throwing codes, is causing the alternator to go into HO mode and making the idle fluctuate. As to why, it's beyond me, it could be the ELD OR it could be something causing sudden current draw fro some reason.

Chad
05-08-2008, 08:09 PM
So when I have my music turned up and my headlights are flashing...thats probably not a good thing huh? Best way to avoid that?

A better battery, depending on the size of the system it may never completely go away, I eliminated mine with a stinger AGM type battery.

oneglory
05-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't really define it as a fluctuation...its more of a rough idle.

Chad
05-08-2008, 08:18 PM
When was the last time you cleaned your TB?

MidnightRacer59
05-10-2008, 10:59 AM
What are your symptoms? Are you sure it is the altenator...I guess I'm a bit confused by this thread. If all you have is rough idle, I would do a fuel system clean then change your spark plugs and then change your oil......

Altenators would cause a handful of other problems. Seeing as how altenators are tri-phase, it may be on the brink of going (if your symptoms are there) and the voltage output will be fine when you are testing it under moderate load. But while driving the if only one of the phases in your alternator is not working properly, Autozone or anyother part store for that matter will tell you the alternator is good and send you on your way. That test is only for the most commonly occuring alternator problems. (which is most of them, but not all of them) If you could be a bit more descriptive to as what your exact symptoms are...maybe we could help you a bit more ???:mwink:

oneglory
05-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I only have one symptom, a rough idle while the engine is not under load (stopped at a light, etc.. No cel, no codes, no strange smells.

the only thing that was odd before was when I picked up my car from the autobody (after not it sitting for a few weeks (3-4 weeks) When I started it to bring it home I got a cel...but then went away after I checked it with my reader...now I can't remember the code p0505 or something...urgh.

MidnightRacer59
05-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Does this only happen when the engine is cold? or does it happen when ever you are stopped at a light or stopped in general?

If indeed the code your engine threw was P0505 then that code is as follows

P0505 = Idle Control System Malfunction

"When the engine is cold, the A/C is on, the transmission in gear, the brake pedal pressed, the power steering load is high or the alternator is charging, the ECM controls current to the Idle air control (IAC) valve to maintain the correct idle speed. "

It looks like it may be your IAC valve (most likely) but there are several things you could do to trouble shoot. My recomendation would be to do the simplist first and see if it works for you.

First off...how many miles does your EP have?

Things to try:
Fuel system clean (including inspecting/testing and cleaning TB)
Spark plug check/replace
Clean/replace air filter

Procedure checks you might want to perform:
ECM Idle check
idle learn procedure
troubleshoot alternator FR signal circuit

Now, if your EP has higher miles and none of the above yield any results for you, I might get the ignition timing checked.

My guess is more than likely it is the IAC valve....

hope this helps!

oneglory
05-10-2008, 03:00 PM
75k mile, it seems to do it more when its warm (operating temp)

I've done the idle re-learn aleady when I rewired my hids (cause the battery was disconnected anyways.

I've just cleaned and recharged my injen filter.

I'm thinking the IAC also.

Chad
05-10-2008, 04:32 PM
And i Was just going to suggest the idle re-learn. :D

I don't think it's the alternator to be honest, which I believe is good since them buggers ain't cheap!

MidnightRacer59
05-10-2008, 04:36 PM
And i Was just going to suggest the idle re-learn. :D

I don't think it's the alternator to be honest, which I believe is good since them buggers ain't cheap!

yeah, the alternator would be my last thought....I think it is the IAC....:mwink: