PDA

View Full Version : got the 3rd gear grind

Guardian
05-07-2008, 11:24 PM
well i got the 3rd gear grind, changed to gm syncromesh and it went away for 2 days and now its back. tomorrow or the next day i will bleed the clutch line. if that doesnt work whats next replace the syncro's? part #'s for what i would need?

04.sti
07-14-2008, 06:39 PM
WTF i got the same problem only in high rpms my 3rd grinds.. Upshifting though... downshift its fine.. and only 3rd does it.. Possible shift linkage adjustment?

Guardian
07-14-2008, 06:49 PM
transmission sub forum FTL no one ever looks
anyways after i bleed the clutch line i still have it.
and the only sell the 3rd gear syncro as a whole gear set, shit sucks

03Si757
07-14-2008, 10:34 PM
transmission sub forum FTL no one ever looks
anyways after i bleed the clutch line i still have it.
and the only sell the 3rd gear syncro as a whole gear set, shit sucks

Wearing clutch maybe?

EP3_U_SEE
07-14-2008, 11:46 PM
i've had the 3rd gear grind for like 2 years now!!!!:ballchain:

disbkoontsa
07-20-2008, 10:36 AM
this is my second ep and it only does it for me at high rpms. i think yesterday i heard it at normal driving. has me kind of worried. really just annoys me

weltall
07-20-2008, 12:16 PM
mine does it now also

RTE117
07-20-2008, 12:20 PM
I take care of my cars. No grinds here. 121K.

skoolnu
07-20-2008, 12:34 PM
i've had the 3rd gear grind for like 2 years now!!!!:ballchain:

same here.. syncro going byebye.

K20A EP3
07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I have the grind too. It was real noticable when my stock clutch started to wear out. Then when i switched to an exedy stage 2 clutch and fidanza flywheel it stopped. Now i got about 15,000 on the new clutch and the grind just came back:mcry: I change my tranny fluid about every 10,000 miles with Honda MTF, Ive tried the GM syncromesh and the Honda stuff feels better to me. Im gonna change my fluid soon, blead the clutch, and adjust the clutch pushrod to see if it makes it any better

weltall
07-20-2008, 01:03 PM

we also are putting down more than triple your power and tq

BlownSi05
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
yeah mine started doing this about 3 weeks ago, but only when i am in the throttle hard and upshifting. its not bad but it is happening.

VividSI
07-23-2008, 08:06 PM
ive got the same problem except its hard to use gears 1,2,and 3. I took it to honda and they fixed 1 and 2 somehow, but it still grinds when going into 3rd at an high rpm. I have said the word syncro so much it has lost meaning. They dont know whats wrong with it so I have to take it back again. I dont think they want to drop the tranny even though i keep telling them its obviously a syncro issue. Im glad I have the extended warranty but I just hope they dont find the quaife lsd and void it. If its not covered what do you guys think. CTR Tranny or FG2?

illusionsoflife
07-26-2008, 10:08 PM

they have a shit ton more power though. i rev pretty high and have a cn kit with 123k on my car. no grind. but im waiting for it

VividSI
07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
I had to take my car in again and am now sporting the civic sedan. They said they will have it for at least 2 weeks and that honda care has to come out and look at it while taking pictures. Say they dont cover it and say that I owe them if I want my tranny fixed. I could part it out and then sell everything. If I did that I would just get the FG coupe with nothing more than the hfp mods and just keep it oem.

MugenReplica
07-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Just got the same thing last night actually. Have two vids to prove it. The last time this happened I went out and bought Pennzoil Snyncromesh, which didn't seem to help out as much as I was expecting. I drained that after a month, then went out and bought GM synchromesh Friction Modified (now discontinued), and it cleared up almost all my grinding (bandaid but it works). Haven't changed it since, although I probably should have.

I'll be picking up the AC Delco brand Synchromesh Friction Modified (AC Delco part #10-4014) later today or tomorrow. Hopefully that will help with the grinding at high rpms.

skoolnu
08-04-2008, 05:49 PM
i gotta do something about mine one of these days.

ecsahs3
08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
you do your own tranny work? too bad you don't live closer. i'd hook you up with my 5 speed if you'd help me work on my 6 speed tranny and install.

weltall
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
funny thats what i charge for a 6 speed swap

Guardian
08-04-2008, 09:18 PM
you do your own tranny work? too bad you don't live closer. i'd hook you up with my 5 speed if you'd help me work on my 6 speed tranny and install.
who are you talking to?

ecsahs3
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
who are you talking to?

you :hay:

Guardian
08-05-2008, 04:46 AM
you :hay:

yeah i do all of my work. what do you need done to the 6-speed?

ecsahs3
08-05-2008, 10:35 AM
install tsx 6th and lsd

sleepy_ep
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
we also are putting down more than triple your power and tq

He has a very valid point there. haha

I also have 3rd gear grind.

Someone should put up the part #'s for all the parts needed to get that all replaced.

I have the Type R tranny, are all the internals the same except the LSD and the 6th gear?

EP3_U_SEE
08-13-2008, 12:04 AM
i put in some royal purple sycromesh and it stopped my third gear grind for like the last 3k.

EP3_U_SEE
08-13-2008, 12:06 AM
i also heard from a friend that if you use GM ATF that it works just as well..... but i never tried it..

he has it in his mustang gt.

03Si757
08-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Just try the NEW! Honda MTF. I just swaped it into my tranny after using GM Syncromesh for about 7000 miles. And its good as new.

b.r.i.a.n.
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
i also had the third gear grind. my tranny is in pieces right now as we speak. i'm awating a 3-4 gear sleeve set. my 4th gear was jammed 2 weeks ago.

i don't venture into the transmission subsection too often but i see that messed up synchros are a bigger problem than i thought.

i'll post up a thread i made on another forum on my tranny re-build.

Laz's EP
08-13-2008, 06:24 PM
K-series trannies suck, I think that we just need to baby the trannies. When we race dont power shift, nor quick shift them. We need to baby shift the fu.. out of them :mmad:

MoThanEnoughNY
08-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Well, I was going to make a new post, but thank god for the search. lol. Would have looked like an idiot. lol

Anyway.... i just got the 3rd gear grind too. I WANT IT FIXED ASAP. Shit is super annoying. I've come to grips that its the syncho. Question is.... What do i do about it my fellow ep-hatchers?

My options are:
1 Rebuild tranny
2 Try bleeding, adding fluid, or whatever the hell some of you were talking about. Not to sure on it. Need more info (hence y i'm asking)
3 buy another tranny
4 take my buddy's type S tranny (which i'm not sure will do good with an A3 from what i've heard or read)

Some sort of help, need this fixed. Any help will be great. Especially you Guardian. You know your shit.
Thanks fellas. PEACE

parkjehhyun
08-26-2008, 04:16 AM
where can you get the synchromesh? i have the 3rd gear grind as well.

27rocks
08-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I also have problems with the 3rd gear grind but i also have a hard time putting it in first from a stop. I also have problems putting it in reverse and especialy taking out of reverse... Im just going to buy a rebuilt tranny for now because im sick of it already.

27rocks
08-26-2008, 08:12 AM
where can you get the synchromesh? i have the 3rd gear grind as well.

dont bother it wont fix it... i have tried everything and nothing worked.

b.r.i.a.n.
08-26-2008, 02:05 PM
the synchromesh will only hide the problem temporarily. you need to have the synchros replaced. i'm going thru this ordeal right now lol

sleepy_ep
08-26-2008, 02:31 PM
I used to heart my type R tranny :mcry:

27rocks
08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I used to heart my type R tranny :mcry:

Is it really that much better?

sleepy_ep
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Is it really that much better?

it was before it grinded 3rd and I like cruising on the highway in 6th, makes me feel badass :tehehyper: :tehehe:

SPAM&RICE
08-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I just noticed my 3rd grind yesterday for the 1st time 100k on mine.
just changed my fluid\w honda about a month ago and now this.

sleepy_ep
08-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I just noticed my 3rd grind yesterday for the 1st time 100k on mine.
just changed my fluid\w honda about a month ago and now this.

yeah welcome to k hell

danielakatoxic
08-26-2008, 08:18 PM
my last ep didnt have this problem... but the ep i got does. its so annoying. it only does it at high rpms. i guess for the most part everyone has that same issue.

MoThanEnoughNY
08-27-2008, 06:03 PM
now The question is.... What to do? Cause I really don't know how much longer I can drive the so like this yo.

supremeld3
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
i have the same problem in 3rd gear at high rpms.. i can go up to about 5000rpms without grinding.. ima trying new MTF.. but if i swap the tranny to a type r tranny i can just throw it in and it will be good? where can i get it from?

Gargola
09-10-2008, 05:55 PM
dont bother it wont fix it... i have tried everything and nothing worked.

I did the same... didn't help... at all.

the synchromesh will only hide the problem temporarily. you need to have the synchros replaced. i'm going thru this ordeal right now lol
Agreed.

now The question is.... What to do? Cause I really don't know how much longer I can drive the so like this yo.
I decided to get a six speed 04 type S, instead of investing in repairing my tranny.

i have the same problem in 3rd gear at high rpms.. i can go up to about 5000rpms without grinding.. ima trying new MTF.. but if i swap the tranny to a type r tranny i can just throw it in and it will be good? where can i get it from?

I don't know any details about the type R's, I imagine they would be quite expensive and hard to find.

supremeld3
09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
how do u like the tranny??? how much was it??

Gargola
09-10-2008, 06:07 PM
how do u like the tranny??? how much was it??

I love it... I have had it installed for about a week and I am absolutely in love with it.

That extra gear makes the car just that more satisfying to drive.

I bought it off the classifieds for 720 shipped, a little higher than what I have seen elsewhere.The seller was highly rated so i figured it was worth the extra cost then risk getting burnt elsewhere.

supremeld3
09-10-2008, 06:30 PM
i think thats what im going to have to do. can u give me some sites to look at? thanks bro. did you do anything different to ur car or its just install and ur good to go.

Gargola
09-11-2008, 05:21 AM
i think thats what im going to have to do. can u give me some sites to look at? thanks bro. did you do anything different to ur car or its just install and ur good to go.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117

You just have to make sure you get the correct year--- 2002-04 RSX-S tranny, if you buy a later year, you with have trouble with the VSS.

You might also have to modify your shifter, but that is pretty easy.

I replaced the clutch and flywheel while I was in there, but that was a personal choice, not a requirement.

Check out my thread, I have a little more detail there regarding my troubles, and the search button... ( That is where I got all my info from):dance:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48774&page=15

supremeld3
09-11-2008, 01:42 PM
yea ima do the same thing replace the clutch and flywheel. u did the tranny swap yourself... did u feel any power gains.

Gargola
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
yea ima do the same thing replace the clutch and flywheel. u did the tranny swap yourself... did u feel any power gains.

You are in the "power band" more of the time +new clutch + lighter flywheel= feels more responsive, but I don't expect to see a huge gain in a dyno.

I started with 'Solelive', we got stuck on the ball joints, so I ended up finishing up the job myself ( With the occasional help of the wifey).

supremeld3
09-11-2008, 02:18 PM
yo man thanks a lot.... u gave me some good information.. ima go to honda and c if they will fix it since i got a warrenty... but if not prob going to do a type s full swap over time. how long do u think my gears will last this one guy on hear said his lasted a year so far.

Gargola
09-11-2008, 03:10 PM
yo man thanks a lot.... u gave me some good information.. ima go to honda and c if they will fix it since i got a warrenty... but if not prob going to do a type s full swap over time. how long do u think my gears will last this one guy on hear said his lasted a year so far.

If you have a warranty, I see no reason to wait, get it to the dealer and fixed asap.

As far as how long it will last, I wouldn't be a good person to ask as I have only had my car for a few months, and I bought it with the 3rd gear grind.

I think it really depends on your tolerance level, if you don't mind granny shifting and hearing your 3rd gear grind every once and awhile, I think it would last you as long as you wanted it to.

When I purchased my car, I could granny shift, but I couldn't get it into 3rd above 5000 RPM's and couldn't down shift to 3rd without first shifting into 2nd. My tolerance for that was 0, but if I didn't have the money to fix, I know I could have dealt with it for awhile.

Da90Ls
09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Someone said that they have heard bad things about the type-s tranny on the A3. What would they be? My tranny does the a/c click/rattle but recently it started doing it w/o the a/c on and bad.

I was going to swap a S tranny in but not if it had drawbacks.

So based upon what I'm hearing, the only options you have are to fix it and hop it last or deal with it?

Because if all the K trannys suck and you swap one out you will eventually get the same syncro problem correct?

VividSI
09-12-2008, 01:48 PM
in my other post drive train warranty voided due to hfp rims, My third grind problem was fixed with only $3,000 out of my wallet. Drives like brand new now. Just make sure you dont have HFP equipment or a CAI on your car when you pull it in to have service. Its apparent that Honda denies selling HFP wheels after they sell them to you. Just be carefull.

supremeld3
09-12-2008, 08:53 PM
only 3,000 dallors out of ur wallet lol..... well i got stock rims buti got them painted gold... the only thing im worried about is im running nirtious on my car i dont no wat thet will say bout that lol..