PDA

View Full Version : More power without all that racket?

BarracksSi
11-11-2002, 09:37 AM
What should I look for if I want to keep the sound relatively quiet, but add more power?

Is it possible to achieve noticeable gains by replacing everything from the intake to the muffler, but still not become a cop magnet?

My first priorities are to hear my stereo and to not numb my brain by driving for ten hours with an overly loud exhaust.

Options? Suggestions?

--yeah, I'm new at this kind of thing! :D

!@#$%
11-11-2002, 10:38 AM
you can still get intake (comptech icebox when it comes out, its not as loud) and a header, but if you want it pretty quiet, i would recommend you get just the midpipe and keep the stock muffler. that would free up the restrictive part of your exhuast system and keep a low rumble.

BarracksSi
11-11-2002, 10:59 AM
So, I can mess with everything right up to the stock muffler?

While I'm asking -- what about warranties? What would Honda say?

ssvr6
11-11-2002, 12:00 PM
You won't have to worry about warranties. I'd say get the ice box, header, and a 2.25 mandrel bent with resonator and stock muffler.

That should give you the sound that you want.

Steve

myeverlovinsir
11-11-2002, 04:08 PM
Here is a sample of what a setup similar may sound like. (http://www.imagestation.com/video/play.html?id=4247116793)

When you tromp on it abit. ;)
Otherwise the car is quite pleasent at idle and start in normal
driving. Not a harshness to it. Seems very smooth as well.
Rght klk sv trgt as...ovr "Download video"

PwrDbyB&K
11-11-2002, 05:26 PM
I really like the sound of that...what setup are you running?:D

Jared
11-11-2002, 05:29 PM
I was kicking around the ideaabout a mid pipe. I have a CAI, and am thinking of the Hondata heatshield. Is the mid pipe louder under normal conditions, like 70 mph cruising? How much of a real world gain do you get woth the heasthield? I like how easy and cheap one of the heatshields is, If it made any difference, I think 60 bucks is a deal. What about gains with a mid pipe? I like the way the car sound right now, a little more noise at FCO would be okay.

Jared

BarracksSi
11-11-2002, 05:54 PM
I didn't think that it would sound that good. How much $$$ am I listening to?

myeverlovinsir
11-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Jared
I was kicking around the ideaabout a mid pipe. I have a CAI, and am thinking of the Hondata heatshield. Is the mid pipe louder under normal conditions, like 70 mph cruising? How much of a real world gain do you get woth the heasthield? I like how easy and cheap one of the heatshields is, If it made any difference, I think 60 bucks is a deal. What about gains with a mid pipe? I like the way the car sound right now, a little more noise at FCO would be okay.

Jared

What you see in the sigi is all I have at this point, will be going
to hondata next week to make more tuning adj. I would venture
to say that 160whp with tuning will be easily attainable. Jmo

CleanBlackSi02
11-11-2002, 10:43 PM
I've decided to get a resonator put on my custom 2.25" mid-pipe. It just doesen't sound good and I'm tired of hearing my exhaust! Lookin' stock is just better IMO...you get that sleeper status, plus you're not a cop magnet. ;)