PDA

View Full Version : 60,000 Check up Neccesary?

SD_smrk1
05-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I have an 02' ep I just hit 60K like 300 miles ago. The dealership has sent me a notice saying that 60,000 mile check up is do for. I used the "Search" button and nothing came up on this matter.
I have a Honda Care warranty if that makes a difference.
Do I have to get this done or should I?
If I have to, do I need to go to the dealership or can I go somewhere else for cheaper?
What wil this do for my car if I get it done or what will it do to my car if I dont get it done?

If there is any info that I can get on this no matter what it is please let me know..

Thanks in advance for your 2 cents...

!@#$%
05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
60k isn't necessary imo. 100k or 110k however, I'd have some things done.

Rep
05-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Not really. As long as the valves aren't super tickey, brakes aren't screaming etc.

As Mr. !@#$% said, the 100k is very important because the timing belt must be changed on interference motors. Save your money.

Kodeen
05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Not really. As long as the valves aren't super tickey, brakes aren't screaming etc.

As Mr. !@#$% said, the 100k is very important because the timing belt must be changed on interference motors. Save your money.

Isn't the K series timing chain supposed to last the life of the engine (assuming it's stock)?

v1c10us
05-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Isn't the K series timing chain supposed to last the life of the engine (assuming it's stock)?

yes
we dont have a timing belt.
and the timing chain lasts the life if the motor provided you havent cammed the motor or something

Rep
05-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Whoops, I'm old school as hell.

Yeah, they have chains now. In case you get in a bar fight you can pull it off the motor and start whoopin some asses.

Waterpump at 100k?

RedSiBaron
05-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Yeah, they have chains now. In case you get in a bar fight you can pull it off the motor and start whoopin some asses.

Waterpump at 100k?

haha i make the same mistake all the time, forgetting about hte timing belt and all...you know, its lack of existence on the kseries...

!@#$%
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
serp belt, radiator flush, and maybe a/c recharge

DericSh
05-09-2008, 05:21 PM
depends on if you want to change your own air filter/ cabin filter/ oil/ tranny/ brake fluid/ clutch fluid/ rotate and balance/ and alginment

that is what we do at 60k.

teamOREO*JP
05-09-2008, 07:21 PM
if you want the stealership to tell you that you need things you dont really need then I suggest you go.

depending of course on the coolness of the honda dealership.

jjermzz
05-10-2008, 01:18 PM
tranny is most def. It only cost me $10 labor plus fluid.

MugsyTheGr8
05-10-2008, 01:25 PM
how did the dealership know you hit 60k?

SD_smrk1
05-11-2008, 11:47 AM
how did the dealership know you hit 60k?

they sent me an estimate email saying that we think you should be at this amount of miles and said its time to come in and get the check up.. but i am just hitting 60k and they sent that in janurary.

The total on the 60K is about 500 usd.

SD_smrk1
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
depends on if you want to change your own air filter/ cabin filter/ oil/ tranny/ brake fluid/ clutch fluid/ rotate and balance/ and alginment

that is what we do at 60k.

all that is included in what they do? thats not that much for the price they are asking..
tranny fluid was just changed by honda when i go the new axle...

is there anything else that they do or is that it? should i stress this and get this all done especially if i am about to mod the car.. have suspension and intake parts commming and maybe exhaust.

DericSh
05-11-2008, 05:54 PM
if you're gonna take it in for that, i'd do it before you install the mods. but if you are dropping it, no need for alignment.

it sounds expensive but the parts are expensive so i guess thats fair. I dont think ours is 500 bucks so maybe they do some more stuff, every dealership is different.

SD_smrk1
05-12-2008, 01:43 PM
if you're gonna take it in for that, i'd do it before you install the mods. but if you are dropping it, no need for alignment.

it sounds expensive but the parts are expensive so i guess thats fair. I dont think ours is 500 bucks so maybe they do some more stuff, every dealership is different.

aww I see.. that makes sense...
has anyone took there car to a different shop to have this 60K done or is it only really through honda so they know what to fix...

fungkeyfresh
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
honda recommends a major tune-up or whatever every 30K.. it says in the owners manual what needs to be checked at the 60k mark. you could probably just take it to a regular mechanic and have him check everything the manual says needs to be checked at 60k.

I took mine to my friend's shop for my 60k and it didn't cost nearly as much as what the dealership was charging.. $40>$400+ ... but then again it was my friend's shop.

insanehboy
05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
its a total rip off. i took mine expecting to pay around $150 but ended up paying like $350. its not even worth it. just get an oil change and u should be fine.

slurp812
05-12-2008, 08:06 PM

Waterpump at 100k?

LOL, that sounds funny. Really old school is a chain...