PDA

View Full Version : left rear brake light is dead

dung
05-09-2008, 07:41 PM
when this happen, what should I look at? the bulb or the wiring?

RedSiBaron
05-09-2008, 07:42 PM
well id replace the bulb first, if that doesnt work then start addressing the wiring

.colin
05-09-2008, 08:03 PM
before you buy new bulbs, pop out the one in the other tail light and put it in the one that doesn't work. if it is the wiring, atleast you didn't buy some bulbs you didn't need.

dung
05-09-2008, 10:37 PM
so anyone got a remove tails DIY?

chuck83
05-10-2008, 05:26 AM
so anyone got a remove tails DIY?

you dont need to, just take the plastic panel off behind the tail lights in the trunk

Morphine
05-10-2008, 08:36 AM
yeah use a small flathead screwdriver and just pop the vinyl off.

You might want to use a peice of cloth or something to put the bulb back in, I replaced about 3 before I realized it's bad to put your fingers on the bulb.

dung
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
from what I can see, the brake bulb is the same bulb as your normal tail lights, so I dont get how the bulb still light up when I turn on my headlights, but when I brake it doesn't illuminate.

RedSiBaron
05-13-2008, 02:28 PM
from what I can see, the brake bulb is the same bulb as your normal tail lights, so I dont get how the bulb still light up when I turn on my headlights, but when I brake it doesn't illuminate.

because the bulb has 2 different fillaments, so when you have the lights on it is at one brightness, nad when you press on the brake the second fillament goes on and it gets brighter...or atleast i think we have dual fillament bulbs, i havnt needed to take one out yet...

yours must be burnt out...

r_jones06
05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
because the bulb has 2 different fillaments, so when you have the lights on it is at one brightness, nad when you press on the brake the second fillament goes on and it gets brighter...or atleast i think we have dual fillament bulbs, i havnt needed to take one out yet...

yours must be burnt out...

they are dual filament bulbs. My mom and several friends all had one go out and they are all the same bulb. Two different filaments. One for brake lights and one for running light/night lights (whatever you wanna call it). They are like $3 from autozone and easy to replace