PDA

View Full Version : polishing compound

what's a good polishing compound out there?

i'm looking for something i can use on large areas, like the hood. i'm trying to get out some swirls, scratches and water spots.

or should i be using something else? rubbing compound?

dmon
05-10-2008, 12:38 AM
theres a chemical to take out waterspots. and for scratches n swirls theres compounds to take um out. im learning bout dis right now in class. not really sure how to take out swirls yet, but scratches can buff, n polish. i wish i knew more to help you out on this one

chuck83
05-10-2008, 05:12 AM
3m makes a swirl remover for light or dark paint thats supposed to work ok, i havent tried it yet. 39009 is the part# for the dark

Blackexcoupe
05-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Polishes can take out swirls and light scratches. Compounds are more aggressive and can do more damage if not used correctly. Normally a compound has to be followed by a polish.

There are plenty of polishes out there, and everyone has their preference. Some Require more time to break down, some don't respond well to certain weather condition, and some dry out really fast when you're working. 3M or Meguiars professional series are two good products to start off with since they are relatively cheap.

What I use is a random orbital buffer, with a good variety of lake country pads, lots of microfiber towels, and menzerna polishes.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/blackexcoupe/Detail/DSC00361.jpg

koi_killa
05-11-2008, 12:02 AM
my gawd thats a deep shine ^^^^

what type of random orbital buffer do you use? i been looking into getting one for some time now, just cant decide.....

zee

Blackexcoupe
05-11-2008, 08:22 AM
my gawd thats a deep shine ^^^^

what type of random orbital buffer do you use? i been looking into getting one for some time now, just cant decide.....

zeeRight now I'm using a Ultimate Detailing Machine(UDM), but there is also the Porter Cable 7424(PC). I got one of the first batches of the UDM, and it had its issues, but they should be resolved now on the newer models. The PC is a machine that has been around longer and more people own it and have used it long term. Supposedly the UDM is a higher speed machine, but to me the difference is minimal, so I'd probably buy a PC if I was looking for a replacement since the PC is cheaper.

Another option is a rotary buffer, but if you're not comfortable with a random orbital yet I don't recommend it. First detail I ever did with a rotary buffer resulted with me going back with a random orbital to fix the mistakes I made with the rotary. :mfrown:

r_jones06
05-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I use turtle wax professional strength rubbing compound in those small spots to remove paint left from other peoples cars (@$$holes... don't know how to park). Then use 3M rubbing compound (the regular stuff) its the finest grade compound I have found. Use it to clean up small scratches and some swirl marks. I then follow with meguiars cleaning wax to remove all the crap. Then I use meguiars NXT wax and then polish (Ice Polish? I forget the name)... Takes a long time to do but it looks beautiful afterwards :mbiggrin: (BTW a claybar works great too... especially to take off overspray from bodyshops that don't know what they're doin).

i bought turtle wax polishing compound, but i haven't used or tested it yet.

i'm waiting for a good day to wash/claybar/polish/wax.

i have scratches, but i'm mostly concerned about the swirl marks/water spots and oxidation build up.

nrengle
05-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Polishes can take out swirls and light scratches. Compounds are more aggressive and can do more damage if not used correctly. Normally a compound has to be followed by a polish.

There are plenty of polishes out there, and everyone has their preference. Some Require more time to break down, some don't respond well to certain weather condition, and some dry out really fast when you're working. 3M or Meguiars professional series are two good products to start off with since they are relatively cheap.

What I use is a random orbital buffer, with a good variety of lake country pads, lots of microfiber towels, and menzerna polishes.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/blackexcoupe/Detail/DSC00361.jpg

Listen to this guy. Menzerna Nano Polish (106FF) is probably the best on the market right now (but it's also a matter of opinion).

Also of note, the wrong product(s) in the hands of the inexperienced can lead to disaster so do your homework first. I highly suggest reading up over at http://www.autogeekonline.net There is all kind of good info on their site, and demo videos to boot!