PDA

View Full Version : Progress Anti-Roll kit

PwrDbyB&K
11-11-2002, 05:35 PM
anyone purchased this yet? Im about to hook up with some Cai, Header and exhaust but I want to know how the sway bars are right off the bat. If anyone has pics or info...much apperciated:D

02SilverSiHB
11-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by PwrDbyB&K
anyone purchased this yet? Im about to hook up with some Cai, Header and exhaust but I want to know how the sway bars are right off the bat. If anyone has pics or info...much apperciated:D
I'm going to get them as soon as I see www.optauto.com put them up for sale.
Someone here said they put them on and loved them

Quicksilver
11-12-2002, 10:25 AM
I've been looking at getting them myself too, but Optauto only has the progress springs advertised at this point. So I do a little research and find out that the RSX swaybar and the Si swaybar are the same (the springs are different though). Then I do a seach on "Progress swaybar" & "RSX", and find that www.rsxmotorsports.com (http://www.rsxmotorsports.com) has them in stock! They're selling both front and rear for $349. And since they're in Arizona and I'm in California, no sales tax!

I think this might just be my second mod. (Just ordered AEM CAI) If I do end up getting them, I'll definetly let you guys know how it worked out.

02SilverSiHB
11-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
I've been looking at getting them myself too, but Optauto only has the progress springs advertised at this point. So I do a little research and find out that the RSX swaybar and the Si swaybar are the same (the springs are different though). Then I do a seach on "Progress swaybar" & "RSX", and find that www.rsxmotorsports.com (http://www.rsxmotorsports.com) has them in stock! They're selling both front and rear for $349. And since they're in Arizona and I'm in California, no sales tax!

I think this might just be my second mod. (Just ordered AEM CAI) If I do end up getting them, I'll definetly let you guys know how it worked out.
yeah, that's a good price

DocofMind
11-12-2002, 04:13 PM
I dont think you guys really want front sway bars, but thats besides the point.

I just got off the phone with neuspeed and they seem to have a new piece that supercedes their rear lower tie bar. Apparently, it is a brace that incoporates the same points as the tie bar and sway bar for the rear. Basically doing both jobs. DIdnt get pricing as it is not available yet.

What they do have though is a front X brace. This has to be one of my fav mods on my S2K. Def going to be getting one for the EP as well.

Quicksilver
11-12-2002, 07:41 PM
I dont think you guys really want front sway bars, but thats besides the point.

Why wouldn't we want to upgrade to a thicker, performance front sway bar? Just curious.

The reason I've been leaning toward the Progress sway bar setup is for several reasons:
1. The rear incorporates a lower tie bar.
2. The pricing is very reasonable (I'm not paying $400 for a Comptech non-adjustable rear swaybar)
3. In a magazine shootout of tuner-provided RSXs, the other tuners came in around .86-.90 on the skidpad. The Progress' RSX came in at something like .97!
4. Suspension is pretty much all that they works on, unlike other tuners (aside from the Progress 184.9 mph Civic).
5. I have yet to read anything but good reviews on Progress suspension products.

Just my 2 cents worth

02SilverSiHB
11-12-2002, 08:17 PM

Why wouldn't we want to upgrade to a thicker, performance front sway bar? Just curious.

The reason I've been leaning toward the Progress sway bar setup is for several reasons:
2. The pricing is very reasonable (I'm not paying $400 for a Comptech non-adjustable rear swaybar)
3. In a magazine shootout of tuner-provided RSXs, the other tuners came in around .86-.90 on the skidpad. The Progress' RSX came in at something like .97!
4. Suspension is pretty much all that they works on, unlike other tuners (aside from the Progress 184.9 mph Civic).
5. I have yet to read anything but good reviews on Progress suspension products.

Just my 2 cents worth
ditto that

DocofMind
11-13-2002, 12:43 AM
The article you speak of, this was the one with two RSX's from Progress correct? Well, if you look at their suspenion set ups, each was tweaked a little different. I believe the faster one only had a rear sway bar added.

Basically, the addition of these bars, you do get the benefit of less roll and a stiffer chassis. But it also provides you the opportunity to fine tune your car and balance the car. In stock form, like mosty front wheel drives, the EP understeers. By tightening up the rear, it becomes much easier to use the rear end in turning.

Take the S2000 for example. Comptech sells a front and rear sway bar kit for the s2000. Everyone who buys this, end up disposing of the REAR bar because like most RWD cars, the S OVERSTEERS. STiffening the front end helps balance teh car for many.

What all this really means, is that the addition of suspenion components actually can help play many roles in tuning. You need to know how the car behaves at the limit and what would better suite YOUR particular driving style.

BTW, i do agree that Progress makes quality partsat affordable prices.

PwrDbyB&K
11-13-2002, 01:05 AM
Fuq that I hear what ur sayin but why go half assed...face it progress group is the ish when it comes to tuning your suspension. Besides if you can drive you dont have anything to worry about. Theres a plethera of mods being released for our Ep's this upcoming year. Plenty of chances to upgrade any bar or bushing you want..so hell go for broke and drive hard!:D

Suk02Si
11-13-2002, 02:07 AM
What DocofMind was trying to say was that the front bar on our cars is adequate. Going with both front and rear bars is going to improve handling considerably over stock, but FWD cars will still understeer. To solve that, you must stiffen up your rear suspension. Stiffer rear/softer front = more front traction which gives you less push. Kinda like GTI's, they're meant to be driven on three wheels while cornering, it's their nature. Old 5.0 Mustang owners used to replace their rear springs with springs from a 2.3 Mustang(softer) so their ass end would squat giving them more rear traction which equals better track times. Upgrading to an RSX progress rear bar(22mm/13 or 14mm stock) and keeping the stock front bar(like 25mm or so) should help with understeer while hard cornering.

Quicksilver
11-13-2002, 07:38 AM
I understand completly what both of you are talking about. I was researching upgrading my 2k1 Civic LX suspension when I gave up and just got an Si instead. (2k1 LX has no rear sway bar) There are a few other reasons why I'd still think about upgrading the front sway bar also. While the rear sway bar goes from 15mm to 22mm, the front only goes from 22mm to 26mm (7mm increase vs. 4mm increase). So this will eliminate some of the understeer, but not to a point that the tail is coming around and oversteering.

You still have to take the Progress numbers with a grain of salt. The Hasport Si they tested at .97g on the skidpad and 73.3mph through the slalom was running R spec (racing) tires. That'll account from about .02 to .04 of the stick and maybe one or two mph. The other thing about the article I read was that the stock Si was turning in better numbers than the average, so either they don't test to other similar standards or they're just better drivers of sport compact cars.

Maybe I'll take your advice and just upgrade the rear for now and see how happy I am with it. Then if I feel it's a little too tail happy, upgrade the front as well. After all, the rear's only $189.

Thanks for the info and advice.

chunky
11-13-2002, 07:46 AM
quicksilver made a good point, the balance between front & rear is what's important even moreso than the size of the bars.

me peronally, with stiffer springs, the front end will have very little roll with the stock swaybar. So all I'd need to upgrade is the rear sway bar to get a little more rotation.

There's all sorts of ways to fine tune your handling, spring rates, sway bars, tire pressures, etc. But to be honest, most people don't need a front sway bar - the only time you really need one is for road racing and the like, when you need to control body roll at high speeds - then the stock front sway bar's capacity may be exceeded. - but you still have to balance the front v.s. the rear.

HondaMan
11-13-2002, 07:47 AM

Just my 2 cents worth

yep, agree too

nikkotyper
11-13-2002, 08:04 AM

Just my 2 cents worth

The progress cars (both) came with Toyo RA-1 tires (R rated tires) so one could not really do any comparisson.

On my GTI, I had the best results with 25mm in the front and 28mm in the rear. We already have 25.4mm front. Upgrading the rear is what we need. . .

!@#$%
11-14-2002, 10:58 PM
this leads to the next question....who the hell sells the progress rear sway bar? :)

Suk02Si
11-14-2002, 11:17 PM
PROGRESS SWAY BAR: RSX 02-UP (FRONT)
Item#: PRG-610102 $149
PROGRESS SWAY BAR: RSX 02-UP (REAR ONLY)
Item#: PRG-620102 $187

Options Auto Salon; same part #'s for RSX and our Si