PDA

View Full Version : Question about front end stiffness

Kodeen
05-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Real suspension noob question here. I've been thinking about the EM2 front sway bar for a little while. I've heard it helps reduce understeer, and it will be helpful for race header clearance when I finally get around to that.

The question I have then is would getting a front strut bar be counter-productive, since it would stiffen up the front end some, where the EM2 front sway is removing stiffness? No point in paying money for both just to have them cancel each other out, but I don't know if that is what would actually happen.

Keep in mind that I don't do any type of racing, but am just looking for funner turns on backroads.

RedSiBaron
05-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Real suspension noob question here. I've been thinking about the EM2 front sway bar for a little while. I've heard it helps reduce understeer, and it will be helpful for race header clearance when I finally get around to that.

The question I have then is would getting a front strut bar be counter-productive, since it would stiffen up the front end some, where the EM2 front sway is removing stiffness? No point in paying money for both just to have them cancel each other out, but I don't know if that is what would actually happen.

Keep in mind that I don't do any type of racing, but am just looking for funner turns on backroads.

the front strut bar really wont make any sort of difference, it just stiffens the chasis...the sway bar is different and changes the geometry, in my oppionion the type r front sway bar is a better choice, what i found is on the street and track type situations the issues with the usdm front suspension is you have to load it way too much imo before the geometry starts working to get the front end to take a set in hte corner, what ive noticed with the type r front sway is its quicker and more responsive...

the em2 bar is used for the autox guys looking for a more radical geometry for that added turn in on the tight corners...thats what ive gathered...

but really the strut bar wont make a difference either way

Kodeen
05-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Hmmm. I didn't really want to get into the suspension until I got the Mugen SS, since I wanted to do everything at once and only pay for one alignment. But with crsx selling those dc sports strut bars so cheaply, I figured if I was gonna get one, now would be the time, before they kill that deal.

Also, don't we have the same front sway bar as the CTR (25.4 mm)?

RedSiBaron
05-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Hmmm. I didn't really want to get into the suspension until I got the Mugen SS, since I wanted to do everything at once and only pay for one alignment. But with crsx selling those dc sports strut bars so cheaply, I figured if I was gonna get one, now would be the time, before they kill that deal.

Also, don't we have the same front sway bar as the CTR (25.4 mm)?

the diameter is the same but ours is hallow and shaped differently...ctr clears jdm spec headers and is solid...