PDA

View Full Version : how low....

downhil
11-11-2002, 06:33 PM
how low can i drop my car without needing a camber kit? right now i just have the stock wheels but plan to upgrade to 205/17 45's. thanks!

02SilverSiHB
11-11-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by downhil
how low can i drop my car without needing a camber kit? right now i just have the stock wheels but plan to upgrade to 205/17 45's. thanks!
you'll always need a camber kit when lowering if you want to have correct camber to make sure your tires don't wear done too quickly.
But if you want something that won't affect camber too much, that would be prokit which is about a 1" drop.

I have progress and I really don't care about the camber thing right now. I'm going to get new tires/rims later on anyway, but before I do, I will get a camber kit also

myeverlovinsir
11-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Camber will be required when lowering. Is that a given? Let's
asume so. How well do the spring only adjusters feel about
their camber? Is it worse or the same? I think the EP is
required to have a camber kit if you will make modification to
the spring height. This only serves to make it more tuneable.
Most kits, from what I have seen are limited in the total adj. that
iz required for serious motorsport.
You need to combine the greatness of a camber kit With a solid suspension in order to have the greatness of grip.
Sorry if this comes off as "Back to the old rule book."

02SilverSiHB
11-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
Camber will be required when lowering. Is that a given? Let's
asume so. How well do the spring only adjusters feel about
thier camber? Is it worse or the same? I think the EP is
required to have a camber kit if you will make modification to
the spring height. This only serves to make it more tuneable.
Most kits, from what I have seen are limited in the total adj. that
iz required for serious motorsport.
You need to combine the greatness of a camber kit With a solid suspension in order to have the greatness of grip.
Sorry if this comes off as "Back to the old rule book."
:D yeah, I think I'm going to wait after I get an alignment done, to see what my specks are. I know I'm going to go about .5 degree more in the rear from the most negative of the specs for our car...just for that little added handling

myeverlovinsir
11-11-2002, 09:56 PM
camber should be at zero at all times. jmo

02SilverSiHB
11-11-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
camber should be at zero at all times. jmo
hahhahaaa, tell me your joking! even our camber is negative in the rear stock, check you user manual, it's there in the book

CleanBlackSi02
11-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Well, zero on a daily driver or drag racer is ideal... Factory specs specify that we can be up to negative 2 degrees in the back.

Moose
11-12-2002, 12:27 AM
Lets not forget that a bit of camber is what allows for the tires to be perpendicular to the pavement during aggressive cornering... now if the car was to be driven straight and only straight, then a camber of 0 would be appropriate.

i-WERKS
11-12-2002, 07:47 AM
how would you measure the camber?

02SilverSiHB
11-12-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
how would you measure the camber?
a shop that aligns cars is the only people that will be able to tell you what your camber is