PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid flush: diy vs mechanic?

bigo711
05-10-2008, 02:23 PM
is there any difference between flushing the brake system yourself and paying the mechanic to do it?
DIY = the common method: stepping on brake pedal, close bleeder, re-fill...then repeat
Does the mechanic have special ways of flushing it completely?
Thanks.

trickkykidd.02
05-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Get the some of these...http://www.speedbleeder.com/

I forget which size I have but they work great. It used to be on the old forum so search around or someone will post it up...

It was super easy just becareful with the fluid it is eats paint and bad for skin. I got the kit with the bleeder bag and did it solo.

Not sure if you should dispose it with motor oil or not if so do that but next best is dump it on Kitty litter (in bucket) and bag and dump kitty litter after it dries. (same for gasoline).

trickkykidd.02
05-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Back in the day we had a big discourse on the best brake fluid. Based on that talk I use Valvoline Synpower as it is cheap and readily available. Almost as good as Motul etc.. for a fraction of the price. I have had mine for a couple years now. Time to bleed it out again.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakefluidcomparison.shtml

Also only use unopened brake fluid bottles. Once opened dispose of as it can absorb H20 from air and water in hot brake lines = no good.

siver-SI
05-10-2008, 04:43 PM
I just did my brakes last night and fully bleed them to Motul 600 I did them with a vaccum pump setup. To my suprise it worked great. When my bleeder container was about 1/2 full I closed off the bleeder and refilled the master cylinder. I would be just above the min level. It took me almost 2 bottles to get my system fully cleared.

Windchaser
05-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I've been trying to find an easier of doing my brakes, but I usually just end up doing it the old fashion way. :sigh:

trickkykidd.02
05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I've been trying to find an easier of doing my brakes, but I usually just end up doing it the old fashion way. :sigh:

You cant get any easier than the Speedbleeders...unless you pay someone else to do it.

trickkykidd.02
05-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Speed Bleeder part #'s I found my old receipt.

SB1010 (rear)
SB10125 (front)

SB8125LSS (clutch)

Also order the bleeder bag and hose kit. Total shipped a couple years ago for everything was only $60

Windchaser
05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
You cant get any easier than the Speedbleeders...unless you pay someone else to do it.

speedbleeders really do look cheap LOL.

Windchaser
05-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Oh, where can I order them from? I hope they fit aftermarket calipers.

beechstreet
05-10-2008, 07:08 PM
my buddy has a tool that you hook up to an air compressor and then hooks up the bleeders. so fast and easy. ive been meaning to ask him where he got it.

edit: its similar to this http://www.speedibleed.com/

trickkykidd.02
05-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Oh, where can I order them from? I hope they fit aftermarket calipers.

they ave a version for wilwoods otherwise you need to know thread size and length.

which calipers do you have??

bigo711
05-10-2008, 11:32 PM
sorry if i didnt make my question clear enough..
i was wondering if there is any difference between flushing it ourself versus by machine.
Are we able to flush it completely without using a machine or letting mechanic to do it?

Windchaser
05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
sorry if i didnt make my question clear enough..
i was wondering if there is any difference between flushing it ourself versus by machine.
Are we able to flush it completely without using a machine or letting mechanic to do it?

yes, you can flush it yourself. make sure you keep an eye on the reservoir tank and don't drain out the cylinder.

bigo711
05-10-2008, 11:37 PM
thanks!!

Windchaser
05-10-2008, 11:40 PM
my buddy has a tool that you hook up to an air compressor and then hooks up the bleeders. so fast and easy. ive been meaning to ask him where he got it.

edit: its similar to this http://www.speedibleed.com/

Kris, just a heads up, you can damage your ABS with pressure bleeders and pressure vacuums if you are not careful. The ABS and brake lines are build to push the liquid and air out and not to suck it in. You can easily damage the ABS unit and then you are f#$ked! I have the same hook up for my compressor, but I always do the bleeding by hand because I don't trust it.

they ave a version for wilwoods otherwise you need to know thread size and length.

which calipers do you have??
Endless Calipers.

beechstreet
05-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Kris, just a heads up, you can damage your ABS with pressure bleeders and pressure vacuums if you are not careful. The ABS and brake lines are build to push the liquid and air out and not to suck it in. You can easily damage the ABS unit and then you are f#$ked! I have the same hook up for my compressor, but I always do the bleeding by hand because I don't trust it.

oh wow, interesting to learn. thanks for the heads up.

revelations
09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
bump

Cheap way to bleed brakes: (one man operation)

need :

- 1-2m of clear PVC line (to fit over the brake bleed port - I think 1/4" ID but could be wrong)
- an empty windex bottle or any other liquid, trigger spray head (you will need the head only)
- a container to keep the old brake fluid in
- wrench to open the bleed port

Step 1

Clean the area around the bleed port, spray some cleaning agent (WD40 or similar) around it and wipe off (keep Wd40 away from rotors/brakes).

Step 1a

Open brake reservoir and check level

Step 2

Untorque bleed port so that fluid starts to SLOWLY seep out (eg, a drop) and loosely close port.

Step 3

Attach clear PVC hose over the bleed port and other end to the bottom of the trigger head (make sure to buy PVC hose that can fit both ends), place trigger head in the bottom of clear container

Step4

Open brake bleed port enough so that fluid starts to seep out (if its open too much, air will be drawn back in through the bleed port threads) and SLOWLY press the brake pedal to the floor. You should hear/see fluid start to squirt out of the trigger head. This is where a clear hose is good as you can see whats happening.

Release brake pedal - you may have to pull it up yourself.

Step 5

Check level of reservoir, add fluid as necessary - DO NOT let level get low

Step 6

Repeat the bleeding process until clear fluid is shown inthe PVC tubing.
Close port, topup reservoir and go on to next wheel.

revelations
09-10-2008, 09:15 AM
I havent done this on the Ep3 but its worked on my other vehicles just fine.... I opened the bleed port too much one time and it kept sucking air back through the threads on the bleed port - took me 10 minutes to realize what was going on DUH

Oh and dont forget rags too...

jimmyjames
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Speed Bleeder part #'s I found my old receipt.

SB1010 (rear)
SB10125 (front)

SB8125LSS (clutch)

Also order the bleeder bag and hose kit. Total shipped a couple years ago for everything was only $60
Speedbleeders are the way to go.
Just got some for my CL too and they work great.
Have had them for about 3 years on the Si with no problems.
Well worth the money.

You can also bleed them yourself using the DIY in Hondatuning from a month or two ago.