PDA

View Full Version : Winter storing question.

SmoothOperator
11-11-2002, 07:13 PM
I'm storing my car in a couple days, and I plan on raising the car to avoid flat spots on my wheels. Just wondering if I should place the axle stands along the axles? or under the frame (outer edge)?

JSIR
11-11-2002, 08:12 PM
on the four lift points would be most stable.

SmoothOperator
11-11-2002, 08:34 PM
Joey, just out of curiosity. What precautions did you take before storing your car? Do you have any advice?

chunky
11-11-2002, 09:08 PM
raise the car to avoid flat spots.

change the oil to prevent sludge from forming in used oil.

fill the tank with gas and put some fuel stabilizer in it.

that's about it really, and yes, put a jackstand under each of the 4 jack points.

chunky
11-11-2002, 09:12 PM
if the car is gonna be stored near your house, it's also good to start it and let it run till it reaches operating temp like once a week just to circulate all the fluids.

JSIR
11-11-2002, 09:16 PM
well I plan on starting the car every week or two, and sometimes driving it around the block on those nice sunny cold winter days - no slush or salt. I don't like to keep the valvesprings compressed in one spot so I like to turn over the engine once and a while. So my car is on the ground, full fuel tank, one bottle of water remover stuff added to keep moisture at bay. Fuel stabilizer is good if it sits all season, I will probably add fuel to mine starting it up every once and a while. An oil change is a must to keep acids at bay. Oh yeah, lift the windhshield wipers off the surface of the glass so they aren't touching.

02-sir
11-12-2002, 10:30 AM
I heard moth balls are good for keeping the rodents out (if your garage or starage facility is prone to that). Also heard that cedar wood chips are also a good alternative if you can't stand the smell of moth balls. anybody else know if this works?

As for me, I'm not going to take any chances. I'm going to disassemble it and piece it back together upstairs beside my bed :p :p :p :p :p