PDA

View Full Version : Rear Popping noise

ep_hatcher_510
05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Getting popping noise in the rear, use to get a pretty loud one when going up driveways, now it happens more often, when going straight over some dips/bumps, or when turning. I will be jacking up the car tomorrow to have a look, it could a possiblitily it could be the endlinks but last time i looked they were fine but I'll check again, anybody know what it can be or what i should look at.

Modifications are: Megan coilover, Progress 22mm, Ingalls upper control arms.

trickkykidd.02
05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
check the rear strut bolts and LCAs.

And if it sounds like the exhaust check the midpipe / cat is still welded solid an dnot rubbing the bar.

Are you running lowered ??

good luck

ohdamngetit
05-10-2008, 08:55 PM
see'in that your runnin the 22 progress, I'd think that it is your endlinks. 2nd day I had my progress rear sway, my driver side endlink popped out.

superhatch
06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Just put on D2 coils and I'm having the same problem in the left rear. Everything seems tight, and I used some liquid lithium grease yesterday to no avail. I'll check to see if anything is rubbing tonight.

HondaFreak
06-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Bump stops or exhaust hitting the sway-bar. Mine does it too.

Christian

superhatch
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think its the exhaust, because I can clearly hear it from the drivers side rear. Are the bumpstops inside the plastic cover on the strut? It kind of sounds like the spring is unsettling when decompressed, then resettling when the whole coil us under load again, but only when driving slow. Once I'm at speed it's fine. How would the bumpstop affect this?

ep_hatcher_510
06-23-2008, 06:15 PM
When i found the source of the noise i had my problem was the 2 bolts on the sub frame connecting the rear LCA were pretty dame loose. Dont know how it got loose but check that maybe. and also check the coilover lock collers that locks in the lower bracket if D2 has them.

pynikal
06-23-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't think its the exhaust, because I can clearly hear it from the drivers side rear. Are the bumpstops inside the plastic cover on the strut? It kind of sounds like the spring is unsettling when decompressed, then resettling when the whole coil us under load again, but only when driving slow. Once I'm at speed it's fine. How would the bumpstop affect this?

the spring should not have enuf play in it to come off the seat at all. so if that is happening i would check the top hat of the shock and spring assembley for tightness, because that sh!t aint right!

EPandaman29
06-23-2008, 08:12 PM
i have the same rear popping noise as well...i think it might be the spring cuz it pops when i'm rolling back slowly, like at a red light on an incline.

superhatch
06-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Well, with the D2's if you want your car low (I think my rear has a 1 finger gap), you have to rely on the weight of the car to compress the spring. If you jack up the car the spring sits on the perch and top-hat, but not tight enough that I can't move it. If I tighten it up any more I start to actually raise up the car, and if I want it dumped the spring will actually be able to move up and down when you have the car jacked up. Considering that the coil-overs are the same height adjustment on both sides, I would expect both to react the same, but that's not the case.

The D2 has a 36 way adjustable strut, and I have tried every setting from 0-36 and I still get the sound.

My end-links look untouched, and I saw no sign of wear anywhere in the rear area. I think tonight I might swap the coilovers from left to right and see if the noise swaps too. Ill also check all the surrounding bolts.

ep_hatcher_510
06-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Is your bolts on your top mount and the one on top of the shock tight?