PDA

View Full Version : DIY: HFP Hatch Spoiler

shanewdude
05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I know this is easy... the instructions are excellent (do a search you'll find them). This is just to supplement the instructions... I followed them pretty closely to do this.

1. Remove the plastic trim inside that covers the high-mount brake light. Remove one piece on each side of it if you plan on using the film to block out viewing the spoiler from inside the car. I have dark tints so didn't bother with the film.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_02.jpg?t=1210476330

2. Un-bolt the brake light housing. Then remove from hatch (there are tabs in the center hole of the hatch) and unhook the 2-pin connector.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_04.jpg?t=1210476358

3. Undo the two nuts holding on the mini-spoiler.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_05.jpg?t=1210476449

4. Undo the bolts from the outside edges of the thing you are removing.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_06.jpg?t=1210476547

5. Next, I pulled up on the hatch spoiler to remove it. You are pulling against two clips in the middle section:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_08.jpg?t=1210476577

AND two velcro pieces on the outside edges:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_09.jpg?t=1210476713

6. I taped the wires to the inside hatch away from where I was going to drill through. I'm pointing at where the hole is going to be.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_11.jpg?t=1210476737

7. I stuck tape on the top of your glass so metal filings don't drop into the glass adhesive. To catch the drill shavings I put a sheet down inside my hatch, and a magnet on the inside near when I was going to drill.

8. Then I taped on my template that came with the spoiler, and carefully put a divot into the metal with a hammer and punch. Make sure you do this or your drill bit will wander all over when you start drilling.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_13.jpg?t=1210477060

9. I removed the template and used a 1/8" drill bit to put a hole where I marked it.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_14.jpg?t=1210477175

10. I used a 19mm hole saw (instructions call for 20mm... mine worked fine) to cut a hole for the new brake light wires.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_15.jpg?t=1210477337

11. File the burrs off the edge of your new hole, inside and out. DON'T bother pulling your wires through like I did... leave them taped inside! Then use touch-up paint to cover the bare metal parts of your new hole.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_18.jpg?t=1210477371

12. Use fishing line or dental floss to remove the velcro pieces on your glass. I scraped the goo off with a credit card, helped by Goo-Gone and rubbing alcohol. Then clean the area of the glass down to about 8" from the top with alcohol.

13. Pull back the two-sided tape and tape it to the spoiler like this:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/update1_19.jpg?t=1210477488
I went from the middle of the spoiler to the outside edges with the tape backings. This way I knew which way to pull it after I put it on.

14. With the hatch half-way open, I set the spoiler in place after pushing the brake-light wires through the hole I drilled. It bolts up with four nuts and the two bolts on the outside edges.

15. Connect the 2-pin connectors, wrap with half of the EPT sealer that came with your spoiler around the connection (keeps it from vibrating against the metal), and push the wires back up into the hatch.

16. Take the bulbs out of your brake light and bolt back on. Replace your trim pieces.

17. Now :hat: and notice how much better your car looks. Look at it again. Damn, that looks good.

PS: I didn't bother sticking the pieces on the inside of the glass to hid the spoiler, or paint the outside of the glass like the instructions said because I have really dark tints and I can't tell anyway!

SSM
05-10-2008, 09:00 PM
nice, detailed writeup man.. i'll be using this in the future for sure!

shanewdude
05-10-2008, 09:04 PM
nice, detailed writeup man.. i'll be using this in the future for sure!

Thanks! The front lip was really easy to do. The side-skirts were ok too. Get a friend to help you with the skirts and lip to make life easier. I didn't take pics because the buddy that helped me had to get home to his po'd wife!

Kodeen
05-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I would recommend putting the tape backing on _after_ putting the wing on. I followed the instructions and put the backing on first, and after I put the wing on they didn't line up, so I just had to remove them altogether.

locoep3
05-10-2008, 09:42 PM
ima use it soon man nice job on the write up man....:mbiggrin: no done pic of your car ???

2005rollingegg
05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Nice write up, the only difficult part for me was driling the hole. Other then that piece of cake.

shanewdude
05-10-2008, 10:24 PM
ima use it soon man nice job on the write up man....:mbiggrin: no done pic of your car ???

Not yet... I went on to start the rear sway, and ran into the typical endlink removal problem so I was too tired to take more pics. I'll update when I get some!

Unknownally
05-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice write up!

This will help alot of us! I need a HFP spoiler...NEED!

heinzz10
05-11-2008, 07:19 PM
why'd you pull off the side hatch plastic? i did mine without taking them off.

BaLisTek
05-11-2008, 07:40 PM
any possible way you could tell me what size the bolts for the outer screws are. I lost them, and I dont know what thread size the bolts are supposed to be.

smoody
05-11-2008, 10:49 PM
You need to drill a hole for the wire to put into the brake light?

Tnhatch03
05-11-2008, 11:03 PM
good write up indeed!

civictype_r04
05-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Good write up I will also be using it soon.

shanewdude
05-12-2008, 02:51 PM
You need to drill a hole for the wire to put into the brake light?

Yes. Stock EP has the high-mount brake light on the inside of the hatch. HFP spoiler has the brake light in it, so your wires with their 2-pin connector need to be routed through that hole.

shanewdude
05-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I would recommend putting the tape backing on _after_ putting the wing on. I followed the instructions and put the backing on first, and after I put the wing on they didn't line up, so I just had to remove them altogether.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. :noidea: The tape is on the spoiler... you just peel the back off enough that it wraps around to the front so you can pull it off after you tighten the nuts.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/member_03.jpg?t=1210632237

NitroBoarder
05-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure I know what you mean. :noidea: The tape is on the spoiler... you just peel the back off enough that it wraps around to the front so you can pull it off after you tighten the nuts.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/shanewdude/member_03.jpg?t=1210632237

teh hotness.

hopefully I'll get mine in the mail next week:mbiggrin:
just need a hole saw and I'll be good.

SLOW EP3
05-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Ahh, lovely. Nice write up, for the newbies of course :mcool:

Danman281
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
nice write up. great instructions, thanks

The techs who installed my spoilder the first time did a poor job. It moved easily up and down and it had to be re-installed

Ep3some
05-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Well great. Now that I know how to do it, I guess I have to get a HFP wing. . . not that I have been wanting one ever since I got the car:mcool: Excellent job on your write-up.

Kodeen
05-14-2008, 05:47 AM

I was talking about those black vinyl flaps that you're supposed to put on the inside of the windshield so you're not looking at the underside of the spoiler and it's tape strips.

ts ep3
05-14-2008, 07:39 AM
nice write up.:becky:

Chad
05-14-2008, 08:17 AM
For me I felt it made all teh difference in the looks of the car, like someone just took a break when designing the rear end.

IF they are available I really like the 3rd brakelight delete panel ;) Something about having a light sitting there I was not using drove me batty.

shanewdude
05-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I was talking about those black vinyl flaps that you're supposed to put on the inside of the windshield so you're not looking at the underside of the spoiler and it's tape strips.

OH, I get it now. I didn't bother with it since my tints are so dark. I have heard that it's easier to put that on after the install so you can line it up better.

EPandaman29
05-14-2008, 07:16 PM
great instructions...i didnt know you had to drill a hole....man have i got some things to learn. i'm gonna put mine on next week too! thanks.

Da90Ls
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
where is the best place to get the HFP Wing. Honda quoted me $487.00 for one. Also the same with the lip kit. There pricing was $385 each for the front and rear and $432 for the sides.

I really want to have all of my organs in my body and anus not all ripped up when I buy these parts. because Honda will rip you a new one.

FoReVaPmP
05-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Great write up!!!.... :whoo:

NitroBoarder
05-18-2008, 08:34 AM
where is the best place to get the HFP Wing. Honda quoted me $487.00 for one. Also the same with the lip kit. There pricing was $385 each for the front and rear and $432 for the sides.

I really want to have all of my organs in my body and anus not all ripped up when I buy these parts. because Honda will rip you a new one.

handa-accesories.com was where I got my HFP spoiler from, $368.

for the lip kit, it's $276 for the front, $276 for the rear, and $462 for the sides. You can prolly find the sides cheaper somewhere else.

05silversi
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
7. I stuck tape on the top of the glass so metal filings don't drop into the glass adhesive. To catch the drill shavings I put a sheet down inside my hatch, and a magnet on the inside near when I was going to drill.

10. I used a 19mm hole saw (instructions call for 20mm... mine worked fine) to cut a hole for the new brake light wires.

12. Then clean the area of the glass down to about 8" from the top with alcohol.

Excellent write-up -- couple things I would highlight:

#7 -- good tip. Make sure you clean up all the drill shavings/filings or they will rust and stain your paint. Ask me how I know.:mbiggrin:

#10 -- also a good idea -- go slightly small. The hole saw cut will be rough and by the time you clean it up will be at 20mm. The reason for 20mm is if you ever go back to stock can seal the hole with a 20mm bodyplug.

#12 -- deviation from Honda's instructions here, but this is what I did also. Honda includes a packet of adhesion promoter with instructions to use it prep the glass. I followed the instructions but it makes the glass look like crap, all smeary, ended up wiping it off. It's not needed, 3m tape sticks fine to clean bare glass.

Final tip -- lose the 3rd brake lite. The JDM trim is only ~$40 and it really finishes the look.

NitroBoarder
05-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Final tip -- lose the 3rd brake lite. The JDM trim is only ~$40 and it really finishes the look.

where can I find this? I search ebay and passwordjdm and got nothing.

Chad
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I got mine from PasswordJDM but I had to wait till they came back in stock, granted this was 3 years ago though.

JCEM
05-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Well thank you very much...you've made me go order the spoiler.

Hopefully they can still get it; all the Canadian warehouses are out of stock.

Chad
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Well thank you very much...you've made me go order the spoiler.

Hopefully they can still get it; all the Canadian warehouses are out of stock.

It's the best thing you could have done for the appearance of your car :D I can be a cheap bastard and there was NO buyer's remorse.

05silversi
05-21-2008, 03:02 PM

where can I find this? I search ebay and passwordjdm and got nothing.
Showstoppers has or can get them.

wh03lse
05-22-2008, 09:47 PM
dumb question but hows the view with that spoiler haha (prolly little diff is my guess :P )

shanewdude
05-23-2008, 04:19 AM
dumb question but hows the view with that spoiler haha (prolly little diff is my guess :P )

Yep... pretty much little difference. I hardly notice it's there when I'm driving. I have really dark tints, so I don't see much of the spoiler at all from the inside.

NitroBoarder
05-23-2008, 05:31 AM

I didn't notice any difference at all. I even applied the stickers they gave me so I don't have to look at the underside of the spoiler.

05silversi
05-23-2008, 02:17 PM
hows the view with that spoiler
With the JDM trim, view is actually better than stock.

JCEM
06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey, my spoiler came in today! I guess I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Twenty4/7
06-04-2008, 08:22 PM
awesome write up. my first post on the new name!!

JCEM
06-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Installed my spoiler today. I didn't bother with the window film either. If you don't do that step you don't need to take the side interior panels off. Hopefully Showstoppers has the brake light delete panel for me.

cser22
06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Excellent write-up -- couple things I would highlight:

#7 -- good tip. Make sure you clean up all the drill shavings/filings or they will rust and stain your paint. Ask me how I know.:mbiggrin:

#10 -- also a good idea -- go slightly small. The hole saw cut will be rough and by the time you clean it up will be at 20mm. The reason for 20mm is if you ever go back to stock can seal the hole with a 20mm bodyplug.

#12 -- deviation from Honda's instructions here, but this is what I did also. Honda includes a packet of adhesion promoter with instructions to use it prep the glass. I followed the instructions but it makes the glass look like crap, all smeary, ended up wiping it off. It's not needed, 3m tape sticks fine to clean bare glass.

got any pics of the JDM trim?

hatch404
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice write up. This is a must have. Should have came stock, don't know why honda didn't make it stock. Just the wing alone makes the car look 10x better! That and also if they didn't make it looklike a 4x4 haha.

05silversi
06-13-2008, 09:21 AM
got any pics of the JDM trim?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/rbocz/struts002.jpg

hatch404
06-13-2008, 12:14 PM
One thing I don't like about the wing is the fact that it gets dirty underneath ^^^^^

If you don't use the stickers it comes with, you see a bunch of dirt. And also water gets trapped underneath when you wash the car so once you dry your car and start driving, water starts to drip down the hatch....:mmad:

Chad
06-13-2008, 03:08 PM
One thing I don't like about the wing is the fact that it gets dirty underneath ^^^^^

If you don't use the stickers it comes with, you see a bunch of dirt. And also water gets trapped underneath when you wash the car so once you dry your car and start driving, water starts to drip down the hatch....:mmad:

Air Compressor FTW :D

As for the film, it's designed to take into account the 3rr brake light, if you do the delete panel it will leave a spot in the film, I made my own film out of limo tint.

hatch404
06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Air Compressor FTW :D

As for the film, it's designed to take into account the 3rr brake light, if you do the delete panel it will leave a spot in the film, I made my own film out of limo tint.

Hmm limo tint, good idea:thumb:

3dkahuna
06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, keeping it clean under the wing is a bitch, but then again I try to wipe the area off again after I have driven around after washing it.

Da90Ls
07-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Where d you buy this spoiler at? cheaphondaparts.com site is down. Is there anywhere else to buy it?

shanewdude
07-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Where d you buy this spoiler at? cheaphondaparts.com site is down. Is there anywhere else to buy it?

I got mine at Speedstar.ca (I'm in Canada, eh). On page 2 there is some discussion of different places. Good luck!

Da90Ls
07-01-2008, 06:54 AM
I called my local Honda Dealer where I bought my car and got a price through my shop.

$365.09 after tax and I'll have it tomorrow at noon, picking it up. :mcool::peace:

skoundrelusa
08-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Do you have to drill a hole even with a CTR spoiler? Is there any other option besides drilling a hole like extending the wires or something? (I dont have a drill or a steady hand lol)

JCEM
08-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Do you have to drill a hole even with a CTR spoiler? Is there any other option besides drilling a hole like extending the wires or something? (I dont have a drill or a steady hand lol)

If there's a brake light in the spoiler, you'll have to drill a hole. It's not a big deal, just take your time.

shanewdude
08-06-2008, 03:03 PM

It's really not that bad if you use a punch first (wear safety glasses; hardened steel from the punch will shatter like glass if it breaks). Seriously go buy a whole-saw, or beg/borrow one - it makes it that much easier to put a hole big enough for the wire connector you have to push through.

magmagik 1
08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Nice write up, good job.:msmile:

bizarroxxx
08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Thats it Im ordering one

suhayb
09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
hi guys, im new to the forum,
i just bought a Honda Civic (2005 facelifted) 1.6 Sport. I wanted to upgrade the spoiler to the huge Type R spoiler however i do not want the hassle of getting it done proffesionally. Im usually good with DIY things and i think i can handle it myself with some guidance.

If anyone can give me a step by step guide or a link to another resource on how to remove the existing spoiler and install the new one i'd be most gratefull.

So in short,
I want to install the Type R spoiler. Any help/guides available?

Thanks guys!

PS. Woooooooooooooooo i love my Honda!

JCEM
09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
hi guys, im new to the forum,
i just bought a Honda Civic (2005 facelifted) 1.6 Sport. I wanted to upgrade the spoiler to the huge Type R spoiler however i do not want the hassle of getting it done proffesionally. Im usually good with DIY things and i think i can handle it myself with some guidance.

If anyone can give me a step by step guide or a link to another resource on how to remove the existing spoiler and install the new one i'd be most gratefull.

So in short,

Thanks guys!

PS. Woooooooooooooooo i love my Honda!

So that's an EP2 right? Are your stock spoiler and 3rd brake light the same as on the EP3?

suhayb
09-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Errr sorry i dont really no what the EP2/EP3 is. Basically this is the car i got:

http://forums.cyborg2.com/showthread.php?t=35240

The grey civic sport you see in the pics is the same car as mine.
Its not the exact one ive got as in ive got a black one but the shape is the same. If you look at the pics you can see the rear spoiler, kinda small and ugly. I want to replace it with the equivalent type r spoiler. Hope that helps.

suhayb
09-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Dont worry guys i found exactly what i wanted:

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/HondaInstallGuides/civic_si/Civic_si_hatch_spoiler.pdf

shanewdude
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Dont worry guys i found exactly what i wanted:

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/HondaInstallGuides/civic_si/Civic_si_hatch_spoiler.pdf

Looks the same as the HFP instructions... I'm sure this DIY might be of some use to you! Good luck.

codyep3
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
decided to bump this since I am sure many people will be ordering the discontinued HFP spoiler soon.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-12-2011, 05:01 AM
decided to bump this since I am sure many people will be ordering the discontinued HFP spoiler soon.

discontinued????

im gonna fkn order my NHBP hfp spoiler asap then?!?!?!??!

where did you hear that it's being discont...

or is this a ploy to get a bunch of people to buy the hfp spoiler...:mrolleyes:

codyep3
04-12-2011, 12:30 PM
discontinued????

im gonna fkn order my NHBP hfp spoiler asap then?!?!?!??!

where did you hear that it's being discont...

or is this a ploy to get a bunch of people to buy the hfp spoiler...:mrolleyes:

they have a supply but the parts have been discontinued for 2 yearsish is what all other posters are saying.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
they have a supply but the parts have been discontinued for 2 yearsish is what all other posters are saying.

interesting...i should order my nhbp one from honda asap then

hopefully by next months pay check they wont go out of stock...

codyep3
04-12-2011, 05:43 PM
handa has NHBP, I ordered it yesterday. Schedule to arrive this thursday.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-12-2011, 06:39 PM
handa has NHBP, I ordered it yesterday. Schedule to arrive this thursday.

like i said...hopefully it wont go out of stock before next months pay....or maybe i should borrow cash from a friend and order it now...? -_-

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
anyway anyone can scan that templace for me to drill the hole perfectly?

im getting a type r cf replica painted NHBP this weekend

SkareKrow
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
anyway anyone can scan that templace for me to drill the hole perfectly?

im getting a type r cf replica painted NHBP this weekend

X2 hehe. Just to have it. But if anything just measure the center between the middle holes.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using TapaTalk Version 1.11.6!

shanewdude
04-27-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't have mine anymore, but like SkareKrow said, measure the to the middle and go down maybe 1/8 inch.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
05-01-2011, 07:05 PM
another thing i hear is important is not too tighten the spoiler too much...you can end up with a broken windshield

i got my replica on it looks just like the hfp since its painted nhbp =]] very happy this diy is super easy

codyep3
05-01-2011, 09:30 PM
another thing i hear is important is not too tighten the spoiler too much...you can end up with a broken windshield

i got my replica on it looks just like the hfp since its painted nhbp =]] very happy this diy is super easy

kinda confused to how it would break the window.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
05-02-2011, 07:17 AM
kinda confused to how it would break the window.

if overtighten it then when you drive and it bounces up and down it hits the window....

idk...but i remember when i read that one guy who made the custom duckbill spoiler that what happened to his (link below)

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?47448-Ep3civic2nr-s-Custom-Rear-Duckbill/page3

kind've scared me so i didnt tighten mine as tight as it should be i think...

ep32424
06-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Can't see the pictures. I want to install mine.