PDA

View Full Version : 5+ hp from grounding coil-over ignitors? for under a buck

anachonda
05-11-2008, 11:01 PM
before i had an ep i bought a magzine that had artical in it about grounding k series coil-over ignitors to gain 5 more hp i was wondering if anyone has tried this and is it worth doing?

heres the link
http://www.importtuner.com/features/0611_impp_gas_prices/index.html

cow
05-11-2008, 11:04 PM
***coil packs***

coilovers are suspension pieces

TheAmericanStig
05-11-2008, 11:27 PM
i still dont know where i stand on the whole grounding thing.

Cow- "shift_iwannaseeboobs" legitimately made me laugh out loud. I salute you!

rolldic
05-11-2008, 11:28 PM
this doesnt explain how to do it, or i would totally try it

pynikal
05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
i would assume that you just run a good ground to each coilpack, because (correct me if im wrong here but) dont the screws that hold them in place ground them?? reason that i say that is when i got my car dynoed one of those screws came out with the cover that is ove them and i nthe first pull there was a misfire. we put the screw back in and the misfire went away. the guy that dynoed it worked for honda (before all the k motors came out.) said that they could ground threw that. so i would think that it would help out. it would be like the nology wire set up. were i went to school we did a base run on our lab car and then just changed to the nology wires and gained 11hp and 16tq!!! at the wheel!! that was a waste spark 4cyl set up. so i would think that on a coil over plug set up you would gain more. not 100% sure though. for the little money it would cost to see, im game.

RedSiBaron
05-12-2008, 05:31 PM
i would assume that you just run a good ground to each coilpack, because (correct me if im wrong here but) dont the screws that hold them in place ground them?? reason that i say that is when i got my car dynoed one of those screws came out with the cover that is ove them and i nthe first pull there was a misfire. we put the screw back in and the misfire went away. the guy that dynoed it worked for honda (before all the k motors came out.) said that they could ground threw that. so i would think that it would help out. it would be like the nology wire set up. were i went to school we did a base run on our lab car and then just changed to the nology wires and gained 11hp and 16tq!!! at the wheel!! that was a waste spark 4cyl set up. so i would think that on a coil over plug set up you would gain more. not 100% sure though. for the little money it would cost to see, im game.

pretty sure they are grounded through the wiring...

EPandaman29
05-12-2008, 05:39 PM
interesting, mite have to try it one day! i mean, anything power i can get, ill try

SiR R8TD
05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
If this is true, my T1R grounding kit must add 20hp for sure...j/k. Seriously, I don't think you will get 5hp by grounding the coil-packs. But I'm defiantely up for a dyno comparison, just curious.

dofu2
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I never saw gains on the dyno when I added grounding wires, Nology Hotwires, etc... they did make a difference, but horsepower numbers stayed the same.

02_epdriver
05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I really doubt it. An intake doesn't even add 5hp

v1c10us
05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
pshhh
depends how you do it.
stock motor gets an intake and you could gain 3hp
but you could also gain like 9.

my friend put a catback and RH on his RSX and and made 148.
Put an intake on and snatched up 15 horsepower.
It depends on your biggest bottleneck.

talonXracer
05-12-2008, 07:33 PM
The coilpacks are grounded thru the wiring. They DO NOT ground thru the retaining bolts.

The reason for a misfire with a loose/missing bolt is just from a loose contact with the plug top.

wil524
05-12-2008, 07:49 PM
The coilpacks are grounded thru the wiring. They DO NOT ground thru the retaining bolts.

The reason for a misfire with a loose/missing bolt is just from a loose contact with the plug top.

My experience with engine ECU and electronics shows that they use the ECU as a ground. What that means is that if you were to check with a test light, the power (hot) wire to the coil is always hot. When it it comes to firing the coil the ECU actually provides the ground. So, make sure your ECU is grounded well which is probably why K-pro makes your move your ground. But I might be dead wrong. :mangel:

T_Virus
05-13-2008, 10:04 AM

pshhh
depends how you do it.

I agree with v1c10us...a cai would most likely add 5 or more hp...

brandan_renner
05-14-2008, 01:31 AM
ok if i remember reading this article back in the day what remember them doing was. put a splice on each of the ground wires on the connectors in the coil packs. then made an alum grounding block and then bloted each splice to the grounding block. then bolted the grounding block to were the coil cover used to be then i belive they ran a wire off of that to the frame and to the block and this was on a k24 swap and they showed the before dyno and after and it did gain 5hp acording to them. im not too sure if they did the whole alum block thing or if it was just a cover from the coils i remember seeing. but it would work just the same.

talonXracer
05-14-2008, 06:11 AM
I had read that article and I am very sceptical of any gains from this mod. The dyno charts they provide appear to be well within the margin of error for any dyno.

The ground that is required to be moved when Kpro is installed, is for the injector grounds.

The ECU does NOT provide the ground or 12vdc, it only provides the trigger signal to the coilpacks.

slurp812
05-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I checked a PDF manual I have, and the coils are in fact grounded to a common point via a black wire, so this is possible.

dann_04
05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
IMO it couldn't hurt to set up a second, more direct, ground for the coils. I mean it kind of defeats the chance that some day your ground for the coils will fail or even just start to corrode. Anything to stave of power loss sounds good to me. will you gain 5hp?...matters on how messed up your grounds are right now, but you won't lose any hp.

powdbyrice
05-15-2008, 09:12 PM
where is that ignition blade for the k20? someone posted pics a while ago

http://www.sunautomobile.com/products_cyberspeed_igblade.htm

02_epdriver
05-15-2008, 09:56 PM
pshhh
depends how you do it.

Depends on your setup for sure. I remember reading the instructions to my Injen CAI when I 1st installed that and they said like 7hp gain and like 9tq. I was like sure. I know the k-series breathe so much better than the old h,b,and d series with bolt-ons. Those motors don't gain shit with just an intake alone

mp_02si
05-16-2008, 09:53 AM
i agree with dann 04 and i also remember reading the article myself, if i remember right they actually ran one wire to the battery ground and one to the chassis and i think they said that also you could experiment and try using different types of metal for the ground block and different mounting locations for the chassis ground to gain more hp, but to be honest i am a skeptic of import tuner after reading an article from a couple years ago on a blue turbo ep where in the article the entire time they called the ep an eg chassis WTF!!

dann_04
05-16-2008, 10:00 AM
powdbyrice, it concerns me that that ignition blade place has typos on their sales page lol. Some one should tell them it's strengthening not strenthening also "Eliminates negatives negative ions" doesn't make sense either. But basically it's just an overpriced ground kit, i'd make my own.

VanDiesel
05-21-2008, 02:21 PM
powdbyrice, it concerns me that that ignition blade place has typos on their sales page lol. Some one should tell them it's strengthening not strenthening also "Eliminates negatives negative ions" doesn't make sense either. But basically it's just an overpriced ground kit, i'd make my own.

sun auto is a very very reputable company,they have great products that works. btw,they spellt my name wrong,its BRITTNEY.:boom:

talonXracer
05-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I will have to call BS on the Blade, sorry......