PDA

View Full Version : Buying a k20A2?

RAMSES EP3
05-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I got a question im trying to buy a K20A2 what should I be looking at before making the purchase what kind of info should I ask or inspect? the seller I have is a local seller I don't know him but would like to know what im going to be exactlly looking at so I don't buy a bad motor or something that doesn't work.

RedSiBaron
05-12-2008, 05:04 PM
you could play it safe and order a garunteed great condition engine from hmotorsonline

clujalolo
05-12-2008, 05:20 PM
its always a risk when buying privatly. ask if any accidents, km/mil., how well the motor ran before, any previous problems. but remember, its a risk you take when buying a motor from someone you dont know. OR you can get a guaranteed working motor, from hmotorsonline.com, like RedSiBaron said.

SyckSiR
05-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Or read and learn about motors and you'll know exactly what to look for....its kinda hard toi say, but if u know about a motor then you'll kno if its good or not when u see it. unless you are ready to tear it down, and rebuild it you will always be taking a risk with a used motor. How much of a risk depends on who you buy it from.

RAMSES EP3
05-12-2008, 08:19 PM
supposedly the motor has about 20000 miles its a 6 speed with lsd the transmission has 5000 miles on it and isbeing sold for 2600 complete I really want to get it and have thaught about hmotors but am scared to buy anything used cause I could have the potential problem of something being wrong that's what scared me so I was thinking if there was anything visible or some sort of check off list that some of the other guys that have done theswap did before buying a motor

v1c10us
05-12-2008, 09:45 PM
check the ports that connect to the header
if they are all uniform and slightly dark thats cool
if one in particular is like black, or they are all black thats a sign of some sort of mistreatment.
drop the oil pan and look in there and inspect, if anything is strikingly strange it probably is, even to a novice things that look wrong just.. look wrong.
see how much condensated oil is on the block, assuming he didnt clean it all off that would be a good teller of age.

ALL MotoR Ep3
05-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Or read and learn about motors and you'll know exactly what to look for....its kinda hard toi say, but if u know about a motor then you'll kno if its good or not when u see it. unless you are ready to tear it down, and rebuild it you will always be taking a risk with a used motor. How much of a risk depends on who you buy it from.

I agree....that is definitely true.

kspec03
05-13-2008, 12:04 AM
when buying private honestly exect the worst... spend a couple of more $ and buy off of a shop or a vendor

RAMSES EP3
05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Is there any sort of opening and cleaning the motor that any body would recommend even tho im not to comfortable in doing something like this. Its making me lean towards going with a shop but then again the guy is selling it at a decsent price i guess im going to have to shop around some more. Im in a tuff spot tho cause I feel like my transmission is getting ready to go cause it doesnt want to go in gear at a high rpm and it burns oil to quickly I dont want to be with out of a car for to long and put money into it when I can spend a little more and just get the swap done.

Gilmour
05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Heres a tip, but nothing to do with the shape of the motor, but with the seller.
You could always look for the VIN tag on the block. If its gone and it does not match the seller story get out of there. VIN tags are removed from stolen motors, not pulled ones.

Buying a motor with no VIN tag is a big :nono: in my books. Cause your supporting the problem, and it my come back to haunt you one day.(Unless its a Insurance Recovery)

EPandaman29
05-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Heres a tip, but nothing to do with the shape of the motor, but with the seller.
You could always look for the VIN tag on the block. If its gone and it does not match the seller story get out of there. VIN tags are removed from stolen motors, not pulled ones.

Buying a motor with no VIN tag is a big :nono: in my books. Cause your supporting the problem, and it my come back to haunt you one day.(Unless its a Insurance Recovery)

great tip

RAMSES EP3
05-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Yah I hear that cause I definetly dont need to get in trouble for something dumb. Any other suggestions this is really helping me out thanks again. :mbiggrin: