PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question but does sound detonator cause more noises?

SSM
05-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Planning on gutting my interior, my question is does removing the sound detonator or whatever it's called cause the car to shake or make the car louder in the inside? for example: muffler's roar!

also, how much does this crap weigh?

wil524
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
You mean "sound deadening", yes it will make your interior louder. It muffles road noise, wind noise, engine and exhaust noise. Just take a ride in an EVO and you will know what having no sound deadening will sound like.

SSM
05-12-2008, 06:14 PM
You mean "sound deadening", yes it will make your interior louder. It muffles road noise, wind noise, engine and exhaust noise. Just take a ride in an EVO and you will know what having no sound deadening will sound like.

ah, ok that's the word i was looking for... thanks for the info, I'll need to find someone with an EVO.. if it's not too loud, I might do it, otherwise might not be worth it...

anyone know how much weight comes off of the car with the sound deadening removed?

RedSiBaron
05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
ah, ok that's the word i was looking for... thanks for the info, I'll need to find someone with an EVO.. if it's not too loud, I might do it, otherwise might not be worth it...

anyone know how much weight comes off of the car with the sound deadening removed?

ask princess

wil524
05-12-2008, 07:39 PM

Try this first, remove your backseats and backseat bottom. Remove the floor cover in the trunk and drive around for a week. It will be noisier than normal, if you can live with that, then you can go ahead and start taking more stuff off. I drove around 1 whole year like that, I now drive with a full interior and factory muffler and airbox. :doh: Taking out backseats, spare and all the carpet will lighten up the car by about 100 lbs.

NrGiNnY14
05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
what are ur mods? i gutted my car when i had aem cai/ dc shorty/ megan tp/ buddy club pro-spec, and it was unbearable. i put everything back the next day because i was going to get permanent ear damage

SSM
05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
right now, just a sri... that's it.. and nothing else.. will that be loud? I don't want to be cruizing on the freeway going 80 or so and loud as funk...

i do however want to try fully gutted..

v1c10us
05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
just do it ya pansy.

klutch
05-12-2008, 11:15 PM
i want mine to go loud, how do you take the sound detonator out?

VegaS10
05-13-2008, 03:52 AM
Why would you gut such a nice interior?

Seriously......why?

talonXracer
05-13-2008, 06:00 AM
i want mine to go loud, how do you take the sound detonator out?

Again "sound deadening"

It is removed with heat and a scraper and "MANY" hours of tedious work. Unless you are building a strickly track only car, it isnt worth it at all.

Princess
05-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Images of a gutted ep3 are from Import Tuner Magazine
(http://www.importtuner.com/features/0407it_weight_reduction_tips/photo_06.html).

http://images.importtuner.com/tech/0407_05z+Honda_Civic_Si+Interior_View_Stripped.jpg

http://images.importtuner.com/tech/0407_20z+Honda_Civic_Si+Rear_View_Stripped.jpg

http://images.importtuner.com/tech/0407_13z+Honda_Civic_Si+Interior_View_Stripped.jpg

Removing the sound deadener is going to make your car a lot louder. Especially if the car is fully gutted. It's super loud being fully gutted with intake, header and exhaust, almost to the point that you want to put earplugs in. If your radio is loud enough then it won't be so bad, lol. But of course, the radio is more weight and you can toss that and enjoy the sound of your car and exhaust. And all the lame sounds too like exhaust rattles and misc. noises and squeakyness.

The sound deadening material is all over the place, even under the front seats and under the floor mats too. If you take all of it out 100% then according to Import Tuner Magazine that is 19.2 lbs. I thought it was more, but maybe not.

From what you have said SSM I don't think you should gut your car. If you were 100% sure perhaps you would have done it already. You realize the resale value is gonna go in the toilet and nobody is gonna want to buy your car if you sell it unless you find someone who wants to make their Civic into a racecar.

When you gut your car you go from luxury and comfort to bare bones seriousness. A lot of people will give you s41t too unless you actually race. But it's your car, have fun with it.

Check out this article (http://www.importtuner.com/features/0407it_weight_reduction_tips/index.html) for more info on what stuff weighs.

I would go fully gutted for a NA ep3 with little to no mods and full interior for a heavily boosted car.

On a positive note if I race another ep3 with identical modifications I know I am going to be faster because I am lighter. Having only I/H/E and being gutted gives the ep3 a more sporty feel than having a full interior which makes the ep3 feel slow and sluggish.

For more weight loss you can get a CF hood, get plexiglass windows and drive naked. Clothes and shoes weigh a lot, lol.

SSM
05-13-2008, 09:00 AM
damn... that some good info Princess... Lets say I have it removed... but then later on want it to be put back on... Can I buy and reinstall the deadener? or are there any alternative.. kinda like dynomat?

wil524
05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
You'll need to get dynamat or something else once it is removed. They don't come off in one piece or in sections. Don't do it, the weight difference isn't even that significant. Just buy more mods for the car if you want it to be faster. :mwink:

sloweredcivic
05-14-2008, 10:02 PM
i am not trying to bash on you but, seriously its not worth the effort its maybe 20 pounds max!! i actually added 12 sheets of stinger road kill when my system was installed and love it!! but it is your car and if your worried about 20 pounds then only fill your gas tank up 3/4 of the way and take a big poop every time before you drive, and you'll be 30 pounds ahead :mwink:

ivtec_do_u
05-15-2008, 09:28 AM
detonator! haha someone is about to blow this mugg up!

SSM
05-15-2008, 12:12 PM
i am not trying to bash on you but, seriously its not worth the effort its maybe 20 pounds max!! i actually added 12 sheets of stinger road kill when my system was installed and love it!! but it is your car and if your worried about 20 pounds then only fill your gas tank up 3/4 of the way and take a big poop every time before you drive, and you'll be 30 pounds ahead :mwink:

understood... it does look alot nicer with a gutted EP with interior show nothing but metal.. plus less weight... but don't think i'm going to do it though.. sounds like too much hassle/trouble

i've seen repainted full gutted interiors and it looks freakin dope!

detonator! haha someone is about to blow this mugg up!

lol.. oops... we wouldnt want that to happen to an egg... that'll be messy