PDA

View Full Version : To the Audio Pros ... In Dash Units

jshin03
05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
ok I know absolutely nothing about Audio equipment. The only thing I know is that my stock player has a problem playing burned stuff unless the cd is brand spanking new with no scratches or anything. The slightest scratch and the player plays it with a stutter and then conks out.

So, my question to all you audio pros is what in dash units would you recommend? I am looking for something in dash, with a screen. I've seen the Alpine IVA w205 on Ebay and like the look of it. the touchscreen is a cool feature i'd like to have. And it has to have Ipod capabilities. Other than that I don't know what to look for in a good in dash unit.

I've seen some of you post your systems and I'm not that hardcore, just want to get an in-dash player. Any one have personal experience with specific brands? Pros and Cons? Advice about quality of the product I wouldn't know? Reputation? Does the product deliver and is it worth its price.

Any help would be appreciated to this Audio newbie.

r_jones06
05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com <<< go there to look for units. They are kinda pricey sometimes but they have a lot of reviews and a lot to look at. I always used JVC arsenal series til they went out of business. Haven't really found anything else that I really like since then. As far as screens go, I think Pioneer makes some good ones but be prepared to spend around $800+ for a good one unless you find a deal from someone or somewhere. As far as instal goes, a normal head unit is a very simple install. Just match the color coded wires from the head unit to the wiring kit (you have to buy it seperate) and you're done. Screens are a little more difficult, especially if you want to watch movies or something while driving (don't recommend it). You gotta bypass the emergency brake sensor/park sensor that they come with. There are several DIY around here somewhere for step by step install... or used to be before the crash.

Hope this helps and happy hunting!

Breakep3
05-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I've ordered 3 units from crutchfield and installed them myself, great site.

It's really preference, alot of the major brands I have owned have been great. I would lean towards Alpine or Pioneer Premier. I have owned headunits from both companies and both have been great, both offer ipod adapters, some even come free with the head unit purchase.

I would stay away from Dual and Sony due to build quality, although you may think they maybe the better deal with features they arent. I promise.

the JigGa mAn
05-13-2008, 06:57 AM
I've ordered 3 units from crutchfield and installed them myself, great site.

It's really preference, alot of the major brands I have owned have been great. I would lean towards Alpine or Pioneer Premier. I have owned headunits from both companies and both have been great, both offer ipod adapters, some even come free with the head unit purchase.

I would stay away from Dual and Sony due to build quality, although you may think they maybe the better deal with features they arent. I promise.

i stick with alpine and pioneer premier as well

Draw7Seven
05-13-2008, 07:06 AM
I have a Kenwood DDX6019 that I installed myself two Christmases ago, using no welding or anything at all, just electrical tape and scissors (I took my time, don't flame me, it's been a year and a half and it works great). This is the only head unit install I've ever done, and I found it pretty easy.

Perhaps more interesting to you would be what I like and dislike about it:
Pros:
I wanted a dual-din, I didn't want the flip out crap that covers up the AC vents above.
Touch screens are just cool.
The unit has been fine for 18 months now, it works just as well today as the day I installed it.

Cons:
If you want your I-Pod hookup, you have to buy that option separately (I think it's like 50 bucks)
But other than that... I really enjoy mine.

I would reccomend it, though I haven't researched the possibilities in a long time and you may care more about I-Pod connection than having it sit flush in the dashboard. I just wanted to share my experience and let you know what I thought about the DDx6019 :P

RON
05-13-2008, 07:18 AM
i stick with alpine and pioneer premier as well

I was going to go with a dual din nav unit, but I decided it would never get the use! I am trying to build a simple install that has great sound quality. I got a Pioneer Premier DUH 6000? And the i-Pod interface is awesome!

RON
05-13-2008, 07:19 AM
I have a Kenwood DDX6019 that I installed myself two Christmases ago, using no welding or anything at all, just electrical tape and scissors (I took my time, don't flame me, it's been a year and a half and it works great). This is the only head unit install I've ever done, and I found it pretty easy.

Perhaps more interesting to you would be what I like and dislike about it:
Pros:
I wanted a dual-din, I didn't want the flip out crap that covers up the AC vents above.
Touch screens are just cool.
The unit has been fine for 18 months now, it works just as well today as the day I installed it.

Cons:
If you want your I-Pod hookup, you have to buy that option separately (I think it's like 50 bucks)
But other than that... I really enjoy mine.

I would reccomend it, though I haven't researched the possibilities in a long time and you may care more about I-Pod connection than having it sit flush in the dashboard. I just wanted to share my experience and let you know what I thought about the DDx6019 :P

E-tape install... :mfrown:

jshin03
05-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Everyone for the input !

I would like to get a unit that sits flush. Not diggin the flip out screens too much. That Kenwood deck you speak of is discotinued though =\

I was thinking about the Alpine IVA w205 one but its really up there in price. I would settle on the older model w200? but hard to find one.

i'll definitely look up more products from Alpine and Pioneer. Seems like its the consensus with you audio pros.

liquid cooled
05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
IVA-W200 is a great unit

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43202

Try ebay or something like that the w200's are all over there, i would not buy from crutchfield price is too high IMHO, good website though.

BlownSi05
05-14-2008, 05:31 AM
i have the pioneer avic-d3 in mine. sits flush and looks awesome. alot of the ep3 guys and gals on here have it. i would not trade it for anything!

RON
05-14-2008, 06:16 AM
i have the pioneer avic-d3 in mine. sits flush and looks awesome. alot of the ep3 guys and gals on here have it. i would not trade it for anything!

If your looking for a LCD head unit. This is by far the best with all things considered.

jshin03
05-14-2008, 07:48 AM
the Pioneer unit is definitely nice. The navi is an added plus. The price tag is kind of hefty. Pioneer website has it listed at $1400.

Looks like i'm on a hunt for an Apline w200/w205 or the Pioneer dc3.

Thanks again for all your help. That crutchfield site is great!

edit: so upon looking at the Alpine w205 on Crutchfield, i see listings for Ipod adapters. Do i need to buy one of these to use the unit to navigate through the ipod? or will I have to navigate through the ipod using the ipod itself?

and I guess if I get no ipod adapter It won't be able to play off an Ipod?

sorry if this question seems dumb, but the Alpine site says it comes with a cable for the Ipod.

RON
05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
the Pioneer unit is definitely nice. The navi is an added plus. The price tag is kind of hefty. Pioneer website has it listed at $1400.

edit: so upon looking at the Alpine w205 on Crutchfield, i see listings for Ipod adapters. Do i need to buy one of these to use the unit to navigate through the ipod? or will I have to navigate through the ipod using the ipod itself?

sorry if this question seems dumb, but the Alpine site says it comes with a cable for the Ipod.

with the I-Pod adapter you will be able to navigate using the HU.

jshin03
05-14-2008, 08:30 AM
with the I-Pod adapter you will be able to navigate using the HU.

ok thats the pimpness i'm looking for. Thnx again. I'm looking at an Ebay auction right now and if I " Buy it Now" for $650US, i get the Ipod adapter and T7 (thing that bypasses the video safety thing) thrown in for free..

rather tempted to click the buy it now button

WigginsSiR
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
the w205 is a sweet unit! awesome picture and function. if i had the cash id got in my stockroom right now and grab one!

BlownSi05
05-15-2008, 06:18 AM

$1400 for a D3?! way way over priced. Best Buy retails them at $800-$1000 and i know for a fact you can find them cheaper. i would honestly not pay more than $750-$800. of course i got mine for $640 (which is 5% above cost for employees) from best buy before i left there and started my new (and much much better) job:mbiggrin: i think best buy has clearance them out though and will not be carrying them anymore, but i would take a look. i think right before they went clearance they were pricing them at like $650-$700. i would check the best buy around you just to make sure. if they have any left they will be looking to get rid of them and should be willing to give you a good price.

as for the ipod adapter, the D3 uses the new pioneer adapter, which is a single cable and cost retail around $25-$30. again, you can order it for cheaper. this will give you full touch screen navi capability with the i-pod. it will not play video from the ipod to the d3 though=P

jshin03
05-15-2008, 10:48 AM
$1400 for a D3?! way way over priced. Best Buy retails them at $800-$1000 and i know for a fact you can find them cheaper. i would honestly not pay more than $750-$800. of course i got mine for $640 (which is 5% above cost for employees) from best buy before i left there and started my new (and much much better) job:mbiggrin: i think best buy has clearance them out though and will not be carrying them anymore, but i would take a look. i think right before they went clearance they were pricing them at like $650-$700. i would check the best buy around you just to make sure. if they have any left they will be looking to get rid of them and should be willing to give you a good price.

as for the ipod adapter, the D3 uses the new pioneer adapter, which is a single cable and cost retail around $25-$30. again, you can order it for cheaper. this will give you full touch screen navi capability with the i-pod. it will not play video from the ipod to the d3 though=P

Anyone know if the w205 would play videos off of the Ipod?