PDA

View Full Version : How do I etch letters in a button?

Danman281
05-12-2008, 09:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/danman281/DSC03108.jpg

I want it to say RADAR. Its going to activate the V1

The first layer is white plastic. The outside is black paint.

VegaS10
05-13-2008, 03:56 AM
You don't.

The best option is to remove all the old paint. Take a piece of sandpaper and strip all the old crap off.

Go to a local sign shop and have them make some stickers with what you want. Something like "Radar" or "Deadcat in the background", etc. I'd let them apply it to the switch so if they goof it, they can replace it.

Take it home and spray paint it flat black.

Let it sit for a few hours then remove the decals.

Under where the decals were will remain clear, while the rest of the panel will be flat black.

talonXracer
05-13-2008, 05:49 AM
You can go to Staples/Office Depot and purchase a stencil kit. It has precut vinyl letters that you place on the de-painted switch so it says "RADAR" and then paint with a semi matt black paint. Allow to dry and then remove the vinyl letters with a very sharp pick/blade.

bunk
05-13-2008, 05:55 AM
You don't.

Go to a local sign shop and have them make some stickers with what you want. Something like "Radar" or "Deadcat in the background", etc.

:rofl:

Danman281
05-13-2008, 12:02 PM
LOL dead cat...

Both ideas are great but there isn't a local decal shop around Houston that I know of. I'm going to stop by Office Depot and find some of these stencil kits Thanks

BaLisTek
05-13-2008, 12:08 PM
why not scan the thing you want to use.

Then go into photoshop and place text on top of the scanned image. I will be proportioned correctly and free

VegaS10
05-13-2008, 05:45 PM
There HAS to be a decal shop in Houston. Any sign shop could do this.

I have like a dozen in this ragtag city in NC.

You could fit 36 of my city in the armpit of Houston.

Danman281
05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
why not scan the thing you want to use.

Then go into photoshop and place text on top of the scanned image. I will be proportioned correctly and free

Interesting Concept!

There HAS to be a decal shop in Houston. Any sign shop could do this.

I have like a dozen in this ragtag city in NC.

You could fit 36 of my city in the armpit of Houston.

Yea there has to be. Houston is a huge city, it can take an hour to cross the city. I need to find one though