PDA

View Full Version : Want slick gearbox feel! BCSS? Bushings? Both?

kai-wun
05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey,

I want that precision slick gearbox shifter feel when I place it in each gear.

I was thinking about the Buddy Club Short Shifter. Has anyone had experience with this, worth the price? Shorter throws too, which is nice.

How about shifter bushings? These cost far less, the cable and the base for <$60 from Corsport. Their reviews report that it improves shifter feel significantly but it might just be marketing.

Or should I do both?

Cheers
-k

Kodeen
05-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Definitely both. If you're on a budget, then go with the shifter cable -> transmission bushings, but the whole package i quite nice.

SyckSiR
05-13-2008, 04:45 PM
i felt a very minor difference with all....not worth the cash imo.

gehjl
05-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I have the BCSS, throws are nice and short. Slick....there's still the grind sometimes, but it's nice

Nitrofaint
05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Shifter Bushings and a weighted shift knob (ex: CTR or Skunk2) should be perfect for you.

I have the Aluminum Shifter Bushings as well as a Ti Spoon Knob and the change from stock was phenominal. Although because of my shift knob I don't have that positive feel as you would with a heavier piece.

My experience with the bcss was not as I had hoped. It makes shifting gears harder. I do not know if that is due to the shorter rod, because of the design ,or I tried it on another member's car who may have not installed it correctly, or lubed the proper areas.

Anyone care to chime in on this from prior experience?

NrGiNnY14
05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
imo i think the shifts are smoother without a short shifter kit. i never drove an ep with the BCSS or Neuspeed but all my friends that got short shifters in there mustangs or rsxs, its not as smooth, and a better chance of grinding gears.

i'm happy with my weighted shift knob, it gets the job done for me

classiccelica
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
I have the skunk2 shift knob hot ass hell in the summer over here in fresno, california, I also have the bcss and I absolutly love the thing. No more effort than stock one.

05silversi
05-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Want slick gearbox feel? Get motor mounts.:mbiggrin:

The Mugen mounts actually made the biggest difference on mine.

kai-wun
05-13-2008, 06:20 PM

Planning for the ESMM.... cheap mods FTW!

So BCSS or no BCSS? Does it only shorten the shift throws, and that is all? Just as sloppy as OEM? haha

Danman281
05-13-2008, 06:31 PM

ohh yea! motor mounts will make each shift like slicing through butter with hot knife. Actually I don't know this personally I have the engine stiffy which is still nice!

Deadphishy
05-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I know someone with the Metal shift bushings and the neuspeed adaptor. He likes it, first and second are really hard to move into and over all it feels really stiff, and hard to shift. Personally i don't like it at all. It's possible his install wasn't right, because i don't think it's suppose to feel like that.

05silversi
05-13-2008, 08:40 PM
So BCSS or no BCSS?

Get it.

On the BC threads before the crash, it was pretty much unanimous.:thumb:

the JigGa mAn
05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
bcss+weighted shift knob=ftmfw

Unknownally
08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
damnit I wanted a BCSS but now I'm having second thoughts. That's a $140 decission. That's alot of money to me!!!

NHBP ep3
08-03-2008, 10:57 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44938

3rd post down

K-Shark
08-03-2008, 11:13 PM
the shifter is worth it to me if you're looking for oem quality and precise shifting. i thought the shifts were shorter compared to the stock assembly, nothing to be exagerated here, but nonetheless a noticable shorter shift! and if you plan on upgrading to a six speed transmission you'll be set with the BCSS.

now the aluminum bushings on the otherhand, were almost unoticable! really could only see the benefits if you really mash on your shifter!

BCSS > Neuspeed SS.

bottom line: great buy for your money if you're looking to get some tighter and shorter shifts. makes driving the car a lot more fun/sporty and i would most definitely buy again.

paulmofyourhand
08-04-2008, 07:54 PM
if want smoother shifting, then maybe it's time to change your transmission fluid
-mikee