PDA

View Full Version : weird , loud sound on rotation: need help

matdbom
05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
guys i dont know if this is the right section but im figuring it is jus because it must be. i need help figuring out wat the heck is making this noise in my car. i can only describe it as a loud rotation sound coming from my front end. it is strongest between 30-40 mph and a small amount of vibration is felt through the pedal. it almost sounds like im driving around with underinflated tires but i checked my pressure and they are fine, and i dont believe i had bent rims at all, and there is nothing visibally rubbing on the tires on rotation, but i have yet to take the rims off (because im waitin on my replacement lug nut key to come in at the dealer, long story) and i dont know if just needing an alignment would make the car make this noise, as the car doesnt pull in any direction and the tires were recently balanced. so please, if anyone has any ideas of what i should look for, im all ears

classiccelica
05-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Ok coming from an ex-honda technician, I would say first check tires for bumps in the tread indicating tread separating from tire. Next what type of tire are you running and how long has it been since you got the tires and had them rotated?

silver hatch
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
The same thing happened to my wife's Altima. At the same speed you were saying it made like a wa, wa, wa, sound. I think maybe it has to do because the front had been wearing the tires differently compared to the back due to the car being either out of alignment and/or the tires being out of balance.

matdbom
05-14-2008, 07:52 AM
ok. id say its been about a 2 months since they were balanced. they are 195 60 15r. i dont know how long the tires have been on the car, but i got the car 24,000 miles ago and those tires were on it with good amount of tread. im still waitin on the damn lug key to come in at honda, but im bout to use the alternative and jus bang a socket on the damn lugnut and turn it that way. and its basically just a constant waaaaaa, not too much seperated sound.

Drew1d
05-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Last time I had a little wiggle and a bum bum bum noise, I didn't tighten my lugs enough.

Hope everything turns out.

RedSiBaron
05-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Last time I had a little wiggle and a bum bum bum noise, I didn't tighten my lugs enough.

Hope everything turns out.

lesson to be learned ALWAYS torque your lugs to 80 ftlbs...ive seen untorqued wheels come off a car

oogy-boogy
05-14-2008, 10:16 AM
- Check your lug nuts (80 ft lbs)
- Check your tires (bubble in sidewall, etc)
- Check your wheels form any bends / rash you may have missed
- Is it worse when braking?
- Is your alignment within spec?

matdbom
05-14-2008, 06:37 PM
yeah it nots worse when braking.

still waitin on the key for the lugs, its getting fucking annoying waitin for thhat thing

and i actually looked at the tires again today, and it looks like they have low tread indicators, so im thinkin it might be something as simple as that, but i cant be sure until i take them off.

get back to u guys, thans for the responses