PDA

View Full Version : Replaced mid pipe and stock muffler

Peking
11-12-2002, 04:19 PM
Yesterday I got my Skunk 2 muffler and the plan was to replace my midpipe and and stock muffler. Sorta worked, but I got problems. First the place I took it to was highly recommended, so I thought not to worry. Second it's a pretty easy job. Third what could go wrong. They started by taking off the stock pipe and muffler. The idea was to take a 2.25" pipe bend it into shape, and weld the muffler directly to the pipe. I told them I did not want the resinator on. So it's basically a pipe from the cat to the muffler. The guy told me that everything would work and be fine. That didn't happen. They put the pipe too close to my rear sway bar. So now the pipe knocks against it. This clicking sound from the area of the cat ( I am aware that Honda engines make a clicking sound in the engine compartment but it was pretty quiet, now with the new pipe it's much louder and the worst of it is coming from the cat area). The muffler shakes even in idile, and when you start and turn the car off the muffler shakes so hard it sounds like something broke off( the pipe that leads to the muffler hits the rear sway bar). Mybe a made a mistake thinking I could put a 2.25 pipe from the cat that goes directly to the muffler. I am taking it back tomarrow to see what they can do, but if anyone has any advice or did the same thing please tell me.

02blksi
11-12-2002, 04:57 PM
just some fyi, it sounds like the rattling banging etc you are experiencing is because possibly they did not install HANGERS on the rear section. (the ones that would be right above the stock resonator). MAKE SURE THEY PUT NEW ONES ON and connected them to the rubber hangers!! sounds to me like they didnt do so and are relying soley on the hangers off the rear muffler, which would cause all the noises you have noted. also any clicking or ticking noises could be possible exhaust leaks have them check those out!! --Sounds like you got some shitty exhaust work done, to bad! be sure to keep all your stock pieces just in case of something, you dont want to be without an exhaust you know. - good luck bro. -Joe. :)

Peking
11-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your reply. The exhaust work that was done was disappointing, but I see this as a learning experience. From what I could see out of the hangers three out of the four were replaced this cought my attention but I thought nothing of it. I hope that the clicking sound is a leak. I don't want to take it back to the dealer for this. I do have all the stock componets just for a situation like this, but I will give them a chance tomarrow when I take it back to them. I noticed that on my old resonator there are springs connected to it. Are those springs absorbing the force that is being pushed by the engine, because even with these problems I can feel an increase of power with great sound. It's just too bad the good feelings go away when I hear a sound from the exhaust( knocking or clanging).

IceD out N CALI
11-12-2002, 05:32 PM
good luck tommorow, hopefully it is something simple like a hanger that wasnt put on

Peking
11-14-2002, 05:22 PM
I took it back and the clicking sound was coming from the lug nuts that hold the cat to the new pipe. So that got fixed. The guy bent two of the hangers so it would'nt hit the rear sway bar. That worked, but raising it as he did,the tip of the muffler touches the bottom part of the bupper. So when I got home I saw that it had melted some of it. Oh well I guess I got what I paid for. 150 dollers when it was all said and done. 2.25'' mid pipe- which was welded to the new muffler. Atleast it sounds nice.

02blksi
11-14-2002, 06:22 PM
"lug nuts"

Hahahaha :) --Joe. glad things worked out for you.

FYI: lug nuts are for rims. :)