PDA

View Full Version : Color Advice

jshin03
05-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Back in 2004, I walk back to my car after a nice night of dining out only to find deep key marks on my Drivers side door and rear quarter panel. I damn near fainted. and then my friend says " Uhhh maybe you should come look at this side too Mike" ... yeah key marks on both doors and both rear quarters. What a crappy situation.

So after many years of not really caring about the exterior of my car, my tax return is gonna fix all that. I'm gonna be painting it soon, but I need some advice from you guys.

I'll be going black again, but not Nighthawk. I'm looking for a deep black. I was thinking about M3 black. The RS4 Phantom black is also very deep. Anyone know any other deep blacks ? I also thought about changing colors... but going black again is the cheapest option.

Any advice is greatly appreciated !

RedSiBaron
05-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Back in 2004, I walk back to my car after a nice night of dining out only to find deep key marks on my Drivers side door and rear quarter panel. I damn near fainted. and then my friend says " Uhhh maybe you should come look at this side too Mike" ... yeah key marks on both doors and both rear quarters. What a crappy situation.

So after many years of not really caring about the exterior of my car, my tax return is gonna fix all that. I'm gonna be painting it soon, but I need some advice from you guys.

I'll be going black again, but not Nighthawk. I'm looking for a deep black. I was thinking about M3 black. The RS4 Phantom black is also very deep. Anyone know any other deep blacks ? I also thought about changing colors... but going black again is the cheapest option.

Any advice is greatly appreciated !

if it were me id go with a professionally done flat black...do it just like the skunk2 ep3...thats my plan if i ever do a repaint, its either this flat black or champ white

http://images.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/130_0311_01z+Skunk2_Honda_EP3_Civic_Si+Left_Side_V iew.jpg

SLOW EP3
05-16-2008, 05:48 AM
:puke:

This dude is obviously looking for something highly reflective/glossy, not flat black. :doh:

I'm with you OP, nothing looks better than nice deep black paint. But I don't have any recommendations for you :mangel:

benkieboy
05-16-2008, 09:15 AM
bump for a nice question. i wanna repaint my car too!

SinisterCivicSi
05-16-2008, 09:34 AM
:puke:

This dude is obviously looking for something highly reflective/glossy, not flat black. :doh:

I'm with you OP, nothing looks better than nice deep black paint. But I don't have any recommendations for you :mangel:

easy tiger... i dont see where its obvious that he wants something highly reflective... his only inquiry was about a deep black.

IMO - flat black is hellah sexy... but not practical for me.

KrypTOniTE
05-16-2008, 10:21 AM
i was thinking about the same thing .. like a m3 black... iam not feeling the nighthawk too much anymore.... but i was thinking of doin a milano red !!!

thechromecoyote
05-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Cosmic Grey! :mangel:

jtyler05si
05-16-2008, 10:49 AM
some kind of white.... i hated white cars with a passion until i saw an ep sporting it... i have nhbp and i feel bad because sometimes i am jealous of the taffy ones

EPJuicebox
05-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Mercedes Benz black is the nicest black I've seen.:mcool:

benkieboy
05-16-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah something like a benz black or go with milano red

jshin03
05-16-2008, 05:11 PM
some good points so far. Milano Red .. meh .. passed on that color when i got my car, so don't feel I should paint it that color now.

Flat black is nice and does look good, but not for me. I do want something reflective though. A nice deep black with a good layer of clear on top.

I'm really leaning towards M3 black, but the Mercedes black is very nice as well. The nighthawk was nice, but I've grown out of it now.

Whatever I choose, I will be sure to post pics of the new spray !

edit: Audi's Phantom Black is also very nice.

RedSiBaron
05-16-2008, 05:22 PM
some good points so far. Milano Red .. meh .. passed on that color when i got my car, so don't feel I should paint it that color now.

Flat black is nice and does look good, but not for me. I do want something reflective though. A nice deep black with a good layer of clear on top.

I'm really leaning towards M3 black, but the Mercedes black is very nice as well. The nighthawk was nice, but I've grown out of it now.

Whatever I choose, I will be sure to post pics of the new spray !

you know what you can do...contact house of color paints and ask them what their Deepest blacks are and they can send you samples so you can see for yourself...make a decision that way

jshin03
05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
you know what you can do...contact house of color paints and ask them what their Deepest blacks are and they can send you samples so you can see for yourself...make a decision that way

whoa ... never even thought of that. any websites that you would know off the top of your head? And what are the paint brands I should be looking out for? I would assume PPG and Duplicolor(not sure of this one) would be the major players? Don't know too much about paint brands, any brands i'm missing?

NrGiNnY14
05-16-2008, 09:35 PM
get m3 black with orange flakes

RedSiBaron
05-16-2008, 10:01 PM
whoa ... never even thought of that. any websites that you would know off the top of your head? And what are the paint brands I should be looking out for? I would assume PPG and Duplicolor(not sure of this one) would be the major players? Don't know too much about paint brands, any brands i'm missing?

dupont is a big name, duplicolor is cheap...

one of the best would be house of kolor...its expensive but its the best...http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/index.jsp

sherwin williams has a pretty decent top of the line paint, but they also have a cheaper line of paint, that is pretty good but its just not AS good as their good line...

SinisterCivicSi
05-16-2008, 11:08 PM
if i remember correctly, www.colorrite.com does automotive paint as well.

Windchaser
05-17-2008, 12:31 AM
PPG for me. Sorry, nothing else beats it in price and the versatility. Almost every BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or even auto collision shop I trust only use PPG. I have done a lot of body work and I found that PPG is perfect in baking and healing.

jshin03
05-17-2008, 08:36 PM
dupont is a big name, duplicolor is cheap...

one of the best would be house of kolor...its expensive but its the best...http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/index.jsp

sherwin williams has a pretty decent top of the line paint, but they also have a cheaper line of paint, that is pretty good but its just not AS good as their good line...

DUPONT ! thats it. I knew it was Du-something. I'll check out the link to house of Kolor thanks ! I should really ask the shops I'm getting quotes from on the type of paint they will use to spray my car.

az-epdrvr
05-17-2008, 09:11 PM
http://images.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/130_0311_01z+Skunk2_Honda_EP3_Civic_Si+Left_Side_V iew.jpg

this is one sick azz puppy:hail:

PayneSkillet
05-17-2008, 09:17 PM
i agree with thechromecoyote. cosmic grey is the tits.

personally ive always wanted to see a laguna seca blue(m3 color) ep3.. jsut to see how it'd look

bdooley
05-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Cosmic Grey! :mangel:

yeah im down for cosmic grey or Phoenix Yellow (type-r yellow)

JDMtunerEP3
08-11-2008, 08:10 PM
If you are looking for a nice black color without spending alot i'd go with a black cherry pearl.

It's not pricey and no matter what paint company you go with it's not gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

I wouldn't recommend house of kolor unless you want to spend alot of money and they're material is really thick so if you ever decided to repaint again you could run into problems.

I've sprayed PPG and BASF and both those companies have a very nice base.

If you like the way the euro blacks look i'd suggest BASF since most of they're cars are sprayed with that from the factory!

classiccelica
08-12-2008, 08:58 AM

this is one sick azz puppy:hail:

Wow now that is one wicked looking scary arse ep3 baby.

nizmoluvep3
08-12-2008, 09:04 AM
well, if your goin to do black again then I say go w/ blue flakes - my friend did it to his ek and its sex:mtongue::mwink:

JDMtunerEP3
08-23-2008, 07:52 PM
I was looking up colors for my own paint scheme the other day at work and when i was searching through the paint chips i found a pretty sweet black that would look great on an ep3...

JAVA BLACK PEARL

They used the color on the 04-05 STI and it was only laid out on 2500 so it's not a color you see often at all.

Gunner02
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
yea flat black would be sick, but IF anyone were to do this to their ep, it would take years to sell :p. I say m3 black, would look sick.