PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod end swap any special tools needed

liquid cooled
05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
am I going to need any special tools, were swapping the suspension on my buddies s2k and my ep3 today, and i have to switch over to rsx type s tie rods, am i going to need to bring any special tools, IE ball joint remover with me.

4angrybadgers
05-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Pittman arm puller (or something similar), bigass wrenches, lots of PB Blaster, lots of patience if the tie rod ends have been on for a while. :mbiggrin: I believe the tie rod locknut is 17mm, and the tie rod end is 19mm or larger (I just use an adjustable wrench for that), or it may be the opposite.

Mark the position of the tie rod ends on the tie rod threads before you remove them, and put the new ones on in the same spot. That will keep your alignment reasonably close until you can get it done right.

02nhbpep3
05-16-2008, 09:53 AM
a BFH helped me out alot when I changed mine a couple weeks ago.

civiKSiborg
05-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Those tie Rod ends are probably gonna be stuck on there tight. If PB and muscle doesnt break it lose, get a MAPP torch or an acetylene torch to make em glow.

FoReVaPmP
05-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Pittman arm puller (or something similar), bigass wrenches, lots of PB Blaster, lots of patience if the tie rod ends have been on for a while. :mbiggrin: I believe the tie rod locknut is 17mm, and the tie rod end is 19mm or larger (I just use an adjustable wrench for that), or it may be the opposite.

Mark the position of the tie rod ends on the tie rod threads before you remove them, and put the new ones on in the same spot. That will keep your alignment reasonably close until you can get it done right.

:high5::nod:

SD_smrk1
06-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I am doing this task this weekend what is "PB" and "BFH"

WigginsSiR
06-10-2008, 12:00 PM
pb= pb blaster... it a penatrating oil u can get at any auto parts store.
bfh= big f*cking hammer!!!!!!

talonXracer
06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
On my EP3 the jam nut on the tierod was 22mm and the tierod is 19mm. The tierods came off, but the damn jam nuts were so badly rusted on I had to cut the jam nuts off with a cutoff wheel and then dress the threads with a M12x1.5 die.

Plan on nothing going as planned, it is the nature of the beast!!! LOL

If you are going to replace the tierod ends then a pickle fork and 4lb sledge will work fine if that is all that is handy.