PDA

View Full Version : tie rod angle (not usual upward)

bigo711
05-17-2008, 02:47 AM
Got a quick question..

for people with stock suspension, are your tie rods (end + arm side) pointing both FORWARD and upward?

I installed the inverted tie rod, so my steering rack is having much less stress. However, I noticed that the tie rod (end + arm side) is pointing forward.
I am jus wondering if it was like that in the stock form... i am not sure because my suspension is not stock.

can someone please check and verify for me?
if you don't mind.. a picture will be great! A shot from the top of steering rack so I can see how much it's pointing forward. Thanks a lot!

ep_hatcher_510
05-17-2008, 03:00 AM
is normal, you'll be fine. what type of suspenion do you got

talonXracer
05-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Those inverted tie-rod ends have been known to snap right off.

If it was my car I wouldnt drive with those, but use stock ends and use the upgraded steering box tie-rod mount. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=494883&highlight=tierod+ends

MR.Pizza
05-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Oh good info, I'll have to pick this up sometime.

kingphoenix07
05-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh good info, I'll have to pick this up sometime.
....don't u think u have "picked up" enough lately?:mbiggrin:

kingphoenix07
05-17-2008, 09:55 AM
does look like worth looking into...hopefully within the next 3 weeks.

ep_hatcher_510
05-17-2008, 11:10 AM

If it was my car I wouldnt drive with those, but use stock ends and use the upgraded steering box tie-rod mount. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=494883&highlight=tierod+ends

Yea that, and many things can happen when they break and you are turning at a high speed or so. but as far as the position of the tie rod is alright, i just looked at mines today and same thing, comes outward just a little bit.

bigo711
05-17-2008, 02:09 PM

in my opinion, the inverted tie rod end is okay. I am aware of the only one case on ephatch, in which the tie rod end is snapped. A lot of people on CLUBRSX are running the inverted tie rod end, and no problem has been arised.
However, I do agree that the relocated Bracket is a better route.

bigo711
05-17-2008, 02:12 PM
is normal, you'll be fine. what type of suspenion do you got

i have the tein flex for EP3.

Twisted-X
05-17-2008, 02:44 PM
The RSX has the hydraulic power steering, so does the relocation bracket fit on the electric PS for the EP3? I've got the factory lowered suspension, and I'm curious...

SiR R8TD
05-18-2008, 12:10 PM

How much are these going for? I like this over the reverse tie-rods, seems much safer & beefier.

Deadphishy
05-18-2008, 03:47 PM
How much are these going for? I like this over the reverse tie-rods, seems much safer & beefier.

Yeah that!

bigo711
05-18-2008, 04:35 PM
they are about 140-160
ebay search: akom racing bracket

koi_killa
05-19-2008, 06:25 PM
it looks great, but he's running both the bracket AND inverted endz. i wonder how much the bracket alone would correct. seems like a great idea but kinda usless if its only bringing it up slightly.....

zee

Deadphishy
05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I think i'm going to pick up a bracket. I'm dropped less the 1.5 inches and my steering rack is awfull now that it's warm. Not a peep all winter, but onces it's over 60 degs, it gets bad.

koi_killa
05-20-2008, 04:20 PM
what was the final verdict on the rack creeks? is it a porblem that will be there and is exacerbated by being lowered, or is it a problem that mostly happens to lowered ep's and not so much stock ep's.

i have about 140,xxx on the clock and the rack is as quiet as it is the day i bought her new back in 03. i been wanting to go with an inch and a half drop but was always hesistent becuase of this problem.

zee

lleron
05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
what was the final verdict on the rack creeks? is it a porblem that will be there and is exacerbated by being lowered, or is it a problem that mostly happens to lowered ep's and not so much stock ep's.

i have about 140,xxx on the clock and the rack is as quiet as it is the day i bought her new back in 03. i been wanting to go with an inch and a half drop but was always hesistent becuase of this problem.

zee

Mine was fine until 90k then started making popping noises about 5k after it was lowered... I'm not sure exactly what causes it but lowering definately does not help.

There's one availabe here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steering-Rack-Bracket-Fits-02-04-RSX-02-06-Civic-Si_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33593QQihZ013QQitemZ 230252763088QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW if anyone was interested. I'm assuming you would need an alignment after this is installed?

koi_killa
05-21-2008, 07:54 PM
damn, i was hoping since i made it this far without the creaks/pops i woulda been one of the lucky ones

WHY!!!!!!!!

zee