PDA

View Full Version : Is the factory head unit worth keeping?

BarracksSi
11-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Say that, in the name of keeping things low-key, I'd want to keep the factory head unit, using either a speaker-level-to-RCA adapter or an amp with speaker-level inputs. Most, if not all, of the speakers would be replaced, and a subwoofer added -- the only thing remaining would be the head.

Is the factory head worth keeping? Is the signal clean enough to get good results after running through an amplifier? What unpleasant surprises should I expect? It would simply suck if a multichannel amp and all those speakers just had crappy source sound to make even louder.

Jpax
11-12-2002, 10:56 PM
To be honest the factory is ok...but it dose lack a nice signal to the amp in high level to low level.....im useing a JL audio 300/4 that has it built into the amp...... its great for what i have, jl audio XR 650csi.... speakers but i would highly recamond changing the unit........... i m saving for a screen..... :cool:

BarracksSi
11-14-2002, 09:45 PM
I'm still debating... Most likely, though, I'll be getting a new head, but in silver -- along with a silver-colored kit, when those become available. I've got my eyes on Blaupunkt's San Francisco.

I'm not going to deal with a screen until they're good for more than just games, movies, and navigation. When I can get, say, traffic camera images and weather data & radar, then I'll start looking at them more seriously.

FailureToStop
11-18-2002, 11:00 AM
Man I was just thinking about the same thing. I take a dirt road that is about half a mile or more every other week to shoot IPSC. The Pioneer that I had in my '89 Si would skip throughout that portion of the trip. The stock EP head unit didn't skip at all! Even with the new Si's jarring ride, not one skip. I was totally amazed.

If you do use speaker level inputs, please post on how it sounds.