PDA

View Full Version : Greddy Evo2 Rattle/Knock

mrpotatohead
05-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Ok so this is driving me insane. it hits here and there but it really has a continuous metal on metal vibration almost directly underneath the ebrake handle under the car. especially when its raining out and cold. i thought it might be at the race header flange but i'm not sure. i'm running the jrrh and the greddy evo2 exhaust. any solutions? i read a little while ago about someone having this problem and they fixed it with a hanger of some sort, but didn't give a pic to describe it. any help would be great. this sound is driving me nuts.
thanks
james

.colin
05-18-2008, 10:34 AM
this is normal for an aftermarket exhaust. there is an explanation, i just can't remember what it is.

sLiCk
05-18-2008, 10:54 AM
the evo2 is known to be bad for this. check the muffler hangers and make sure it's not hitting anything.

mrpotatohead
05-18-2008, 10:57 AM
if need be i will get something different. its annoying.

PriO
05-18-2008, 11:39 AM
i have the same combo and have the same issue. i was thinking of putting a heat wrap around the front sway. i think the jrrh is hitting that and i have put a heat wrap around the exhaust metal hanger and it seem to stop the rattling a bit. but still noticable.

i also having rattling sounds when going downhill while making turns.

any help would be nice

2004ep3hatch
05-18-2008, 02:40 PM
moved it for you. im not sure what to do to fix it. i have never had this problem, i hads hks. never really rattled. ill say to check the hangers too. maybe the rear swaybar.

actually check under your car to see how close you midpipe is to your car.

civicsipower03
05-18-2008, 09:42 PM
the rubber mount that holds the very end of the tip was very loose on my car made a fev adjustments problem solved.

mrpotatohead
05-19-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm not quite following. Where exactly is this rubber mount?

the rubber mount that holds the very end of the tip was very loose on my car made a fev adjustments problem solved.

mrpotatohead
05-19-2008, 08:56 AM
anyone else had this issue and what you did to fix it? its not because of having a race header is it?

bunk
05-19-2008, 09:09 AM
See if your RH is hitting the stock heat shield under the car.

bildo
05-19-2008, 12:03 PM
i'm having the same issue with my apexi ws2.

When i'm decelerating sometimes and when i take hard rights my exhaust in knocking along the b-pipe or resonator.

Would longer rubber hangers lower the exhaust so it doesn't touch the chassis?
at the moment, where the bpipe bends to the cat, it is touching the bottom of my car.

jh604
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
i'm having the same issue with my apexi ws2.

When i'm decelerating sometimes and when i take hard rights my exhaust in knocking along the b-pipe or resonator.

Would longer rubber hangers lower the exhaust so it doesn't touch the chassis?
at the moment, where the bpipe bends to the cat, it is touching the bottom of my car.

x2! right at the bend after the cat. i cant put a finger between my midpipe and the under body of the car. =[

Jman900
05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Everybody has this problem, just hit that section with some heat wrap

bildo
05-19-2008, 06:09 PM
x2! right at the bend after the cat. i cant put a finger between my midpipe and the under body of the car. =[

I can't fit my finger in there either. But i tried rattling it and i couldn't replicate the noise.

Has anyone tried removing the heat shield along the b-pipe? and what are the negative side of removing that heat shield?

mrpotatohead
05-20-2008, 12:06 PM
does it do it do it when its wet/raining out? i wonder if there is a way to secure it from flexing up and down as much.

bildo
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I think it's normal for it to make vibrations and such when it's wet out or raining.

mrpotatohead
05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
is there any exhaust that doesn't do this? i'd be willing to try it.

shelbz
05-20-2008, 12:51 PM
thread starter: i know exactly what you're talking about.. i dunno if other people who have posted know exactly how bad it actually is. i have the evo2/dcrh combo.. happens soooooooo bad when it rains that my passengers can feel it hitting under their seat. it's so loud and it pretty much sounds like my car is falling apart. it isn't just a rattle or knocking.. it sounds like it's gonna break through the bottom of the car lol
ive been trying to fix it for years and i've just given up.

mrpotatohead
05-20-2008, 12:56 PM
yes!! this is exactly what i'm talking about!! man i would do anything to get rid of this annoying occurrence. i even called greddy and they had no idea what i was talking about...or at least thats what they told me anyway.

bildo
05-20-2008, 01:00 PM
my skunk2 didn't have this problem at all. But the greddy evo2 sounds exactly like the problem i have with my ws2. I think there is a thread around here about rain and aftermarket exhausts.

shelbz
05-20-2008, 01:01 PM
yes!! this is exactly what i'm talking about!! man i would do anything to get rid of this annoying occurrence. i even called greddy and they had no idea what i was talking about...or at least thats what they told me anyway.

yeah i even took it to my shop and they couldnt find anything wrong.. but it wasn't raining hard enough that day when they test drove it :(

mrpotatohead
05-20-2008, 01:10 PM
i thought about putting it up on a lift and spraying the underside with a hose while someone gassed it from above.

bildo
05-20-2008, 01:13 PM
i thought about putting it up on a lift and spraying the underside with a hose while someone gassed it from above.

Probably won't even need a lift. Get the car warm and then have a buddy hose the underside while you rev it. See if you can replicate it.

mrpotatohead
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm trying to find the time here lately. work's been slaving me out, but I'm going to try to get to it between today and Saturday. I'll definitely post up what i figure out.

mrpotatohead
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
i'll have to put it up, my car is slammed lol. at least on jack stands all around.

bildo
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm going to take off the heat shield today and see if it will stop the contact on the underside of the car will stop. I will also post an update, someone told me on here that it should bang the heat shield up or even replace the rubber hangers to stiffer ones.

bildo
05-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I just took off my heat shield on the b-pipe. i went for a drive and took a hard right turn and the knocking is still there.

Weather was sunny, roads were dry. Heat shield is not a culprit.

renovator
05-20-2008, 07:28 PM

i could yell at some people for you if you want :mwink:

i had a similar problem with my WS2 on my EG back in the day. it would rattle off throttle after 20 minutes of driving. i figured it was the exhaust expanding after warm-up and barely clearing a heat shield of some kind.

my EVO TT hits my sway-bar (stock, i dont even want to know what its going to do when i put my progress in) when i start it up sometimes. i think the hangers are done. i'm also running a T1R test-pipe so the b-pipe hangs a bit lower than it should. a little too much clearance between the top of the pipe and the heat shield. no rattles, but i end up scraping occasionally. :mfrown:

to me it sounds like a clearance issue. this happens with all aftermarket parts. with all these different combinations of headers and exhausts, it will never fit as good as OE.

mrpotatohead
05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
almost makes me want to put my stock exhaust back on. it would kill my jrscr performance though that i'm used to.

mrpotatohead
05-20-2008, 07:48 PM
does anyone have a race header and after market exhaust that doesn't make eff'd up noises? an occasional bump or knock is all good but this is getting ridiculous.

shelbz
05-20-2008, 11:28 PM
does anyone have a race header and after market exhaust that doesn't make eff'd up noises? an occasional bump or knock is all good but this is getting ridiculous.

it's so embarassing when people are in the car and i have to explain it to them lol

when you do the hose test, please let me know what you find out!

fdasfd
05-21-2008, 06:00 AM
I dont have an aftermarket exhaust yet, but i did cut the cat off, and mine does it too. ive determined that it is slapping the frame underneath the passengers seat on the brace that runs through there. I fixed it mostly, well, quietened it down alot, by...dont laugh...folding up a pie pan (thick alum. foil) and wrapping around it. had to pry it away from the frame, then threw that on there. hasn't knocked loudly in a while, and its even rained since then. helped quite a bit...even though its a pie pan.

mrpotatohead
05-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Will do my man. I will hopefully be at it today or tomorrow. Unless something comes up.

it's so embarassing when people are in the car and i have to explain it to them lol

when you do the hose test, please let me know what you find out!

mrpotatohead
05-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Dude that's awesome! I busted out laughing at lunch when I read that on my blackberry and had to show my co workers! I might have to try that if it really worked!

I dont have an aftermarket exhaust yet, but i did cut the cat off, and mine does it too. ive determined that it is slapping the frame underneath the passengers seat on the brace that runs through there. I fixed it mostly, well, quietened it down alot, by...dont laugh...folding up a pie pan (thick alum. foil) and wrapping around it. had to pry it away from the frame, then threw that on there. hasn't knocked loudly in a while, and its even rained since then. helped quite a bit...even though its a pie pan.

fdasfd
05-21-2008, 12:42 PM
I didnt really want to pay $40 for a roll of heat wrap if i didnt have to, so first i used about 3 feet of alum. foil, folded up to make a spacer, and jb welded that to the frame, didnt seem to work though, so i thought i needed something more robust, so pie pan it was.its tight in there, no need for jb weld. ghetto as i dont know what...but it works.

mrpotatohead
05-21-2008, 01:25 PM
heres something else, when i bought my jrrh, i noticed that the hanger on the header had been cut, but i was told you don't need it. is this true? do you really need to connect it and would this help with the problem?

itchy5
05-21-2008, 03:14 PM

i have a DCRH and aftermarket exhaust and all it does is rattle on the hangers every once in a while

freddy914
05-21-2008, 05:22 PM
i had the same problem with my after market exhaust went to the auto part store and bought a exhaust hanger with rubber spacer and went to my boys shop and had him weld it from the mid pipe to the chasis of the car.. sound went away and exhaust doesnt shake as much at the rear... hanger cost about $4.00 dollars and labor $10.00.. going to try to take pics. tomorrow its raining right now...

mrpotatohead
05-21-2008, 05:38 PM
i had the same problem with my after market exhaust went to the auto part store and bought a exhaust hanger with rubber spacer and went to my boys shop and had him weld it from the mid pipe to the chasis of the car.. sound went away and exhaust doesnt shake as much at the rear... hanger cost about $4.00 dollars and labor $10.00.. going to try to take pics. tomorrow its raining right now...

yeah man that would be awesome if you could get up some pics. your car looks sex too. gimme some more of that too! lol what wheels are those? man i'm excited to get the hanger pics. anything to get this mess fixed.

mrpotatohead
05-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey did you ever get the pic of the bracket you made? That would really be a big help.
In case you guys were wondering, I hadn't gotten the chance yet to do the water on the exhaust test. But when I do I will post up.

PriO
05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
keep us updated. evo2/jrrh combo here

its embarrassing having to explain the noise to a chick =\

mrpotatohead
05-26-2008, 06:44 AM
keep us updated. evo2/jrrh combo here

its embarrassing having to explain the noise to a chick =\

lol exactly ha ha

mrpotatohead
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
ok so it's been a while and i did figure out what the knocking was. sorry it took me so long to respond back. i slapped the car up on jack stands and noticed the first bend in the exhaust piping coming from the header is hitting the under carriage of the car. almost seems like a design flaw if you really look at it. there really isn't an exhaust hanger from the header all the way back to the muffler. when i hit the throttle you could see the entire exhaust flex down towards the ground and the back up to hit the underside of the car. there's like a nut hair of space between the bend and the carriage. i'm not real sure how to fix this. i'm really thinking about getting another exhaust to see if its bent any different. i know its bigger in diameter than stock, but you would think that they would compensate for this when it was designed. i called greddy and asked them as well if they have heard anything about this issue and of course they said they haven't so idk. i wonder if there's a way to put some sort of support or more hangers under there to secure it more.

bildo
08-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I have found a solution to the exhaust knock.

Go to your local muffler/exhaust shop. Tell them to heat up the hanger before the cat, and use a hammer to bend it down. It should be enough to lower the first bend so it doesn't knock.

Worked like a charm for me. I'm knock free.

EVOKIN
08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
I took the rubber hanger out and added JB Weld in the middle to stiffen up the hanger.

donkeygong64
08-27-2008, 06:14 PM
I looked under, the only reasonable explantion would be the Heat shield... but thats been proven wrong. I'm so confused... When i do move my exhaust tip though i can make the knocking sound...

civicsibaby04
08-27-2008, 07:04 PM
i got the same problem. does anybody have pics to show what was done to fix this

bildo
08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
as i explained before, there is a hanger on the cat, go to a muffler shop, tell them to heat it up and use a hammer and knock it down a couple inches so it lowers the exhaust.

I haven't had a knock since this fix.

Super easy fix, just go to an exhaust shop.

03silvsi
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
i have the same problem...... i have stock header and cat.. wit evo2 system everytime it rains it would rattle under the passenger seat

civicsibaby04
08-29-2008, 04:42 PM
can someone post pics of what they did. i really need to fix this asap thanks

mrpotatohead
08-31-2008, 02:42 PM
my cybernation kit is getting installed this week and i'm going to cut and weld the exhaust so it sits closer to the car and correct the bend near the "cat", if you have one which i don't. this will permanently correct the knocking and the ultra low hang of the exhaust. my car is slammed and i scrap on effin everything. i'll post pics when its complete.

shelbz
08-31-2008, 04:08 PM
yeah bildo.. i would try what you did but i don't have a cat so that won't work for me.. :mfrown:

bildo
08-31-2008, 07:26 PM
i still get vibrations when it rains, i just don't get the knocking anymore.