PDA

View Full Version : CEL issues HELP PLEASE!!

hothatch
05-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Well i just got my header,megan testpipe,and skunk2 70mm catback on today and I did the defouler trick for the o2 sensor and im still getting a cel.I did everything right put the secondary on the hollowed defouler the primary in the front of the test pipe(just pluged it in directly).Every up right and still a cel.One thing though we forgot to disconnect the battery before we installed and i didnt realize until after we were all done that it needed to be disconnected so the cpu can reset.I drove it around then came back we disconnected the battery for about 10 mins then hooked it back up and still get a cel... also my cd player dosnt work now and all i get in the word "code" on the led screen.What a nightmare!!!! HELP!!! :mfrown:

03Si757
05-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Well i just got my header,megan testpipe,and skunk2 70mm catback on today and I did the defouler trick for the o2 sensor and im still getting a cel.I did everything right put the secondary on the hollowed defouler the primary in the front of the test pipe(just pluged it in directly).Every up right and still a cel.One thing though we forgot to disconnect the battery before we installed and i didnt realize until after we were all done that it needed to be disconnected so the cpu can reset.I drove it around then came back we disconnected the battery for about 10 mins then hooked it back up and still get a cel... also my cd player dosnt work now and all i get in the word "code" on the led screen.What a nightmare!!!! HELP!!! :mfrown:

As for the CEL, im not sure as im having the same issue. But for the CD player, is it the stock unit? cause if so, there is a 4 digit code for your CD player (Anti-Theft) that you will need to enter, every unit has its own code, check your owners manual if you still have it. If not im not quite sure but Honda may be able to help you get the code or maybe they have a universal code? If not man, I can send you my Stock unit with the code if all else fails, just pay for the shipping.

talonXracer
05-18-2008, 10:51 AM
To reset the ECU you do not have to disconnect the battery. Just remove the ECU/FI fuse in the underhood fusebox.

You need to see what the CEL is, it could be something else, because a CEL shouldnt light up immediately for a "cat below efficiency" code when the ECU is reset.

hothatch
05-18-2008, 02:08 PM
i dont think i reset the ecu the only thing I have done is disconnect the battery for ten minutes.Could the problem be more than the o2 sim?

AUTiger
05-18-2008, 02:35 PM
It's a lot of fun worrying about the o2 sensors isn't it with their prices. Back in December my CEL would come on and then shut off when the car would warm up, sometimes stay on for days, then go off for weeks. Finally in January it came back on and has been on since. I got it read today just to make sure it was in fact my o2 sensors since the driveability has not been affected one bit. Sure enough, p1166 and p1167. It irritates me solely because it went on and off for over a month. The only reason I wanted to make sure it was the sensor is because I am getting a reflash soon and don't want anything bad to happen.

hothatch
05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
when i remove the ECU/FI fuse how long do i keep it out for?Oh and were the hell in the manual does it give me this code for my stock deck,I cant seem to find it..

03Si757
05-19-2008, 05:18 AM
when i remove the ECU/FI fuse how long do i keep it out for?Oh and were the hell in the manual does it give me this code for my stock deck,I cant seem to find it..

On the factory manual, its usually on a sticker, but it probably was removed, mine was written in my manual. You only have to keep the fuse out for about 20-30 seconds.

AUTiger
05-19-2008, 08:17 AM
the code for the stereo is also on a sticker in your glove box

jimmyjames
05-19-2008, 09:13 AM
i dont think i reset the ecu the only thing I have done is disconnect the battery for ten minutes.Could the problem be more than the o2 sim?

when i remove the ECU/FI fuse how long do i keep it out for?Oh and were the hell in the manual does it give me this code for my stock deck,I cant seem to find it..Disconnecting the battery does reset the ECU. You don't need to disconnect the battery to do it though. Just unplug the fuse in the fuse box. 15 seconds should do it. That way you don't lose radio presets.
The code for the stock deck is not in the manual. It is on a sticker card that should be with your documents. It has two stickers with the code. I placed one on the special code credit card piece and the other in my manual last page.
Where did you put yours? If you didn't, ask the person who owned the car before you. If they don't know, you need to remove the radio and bring it to honda.

jtyler05si
05-19-2008, 10:48 AM
i was in that spot with my radio but then i remembered where i put that damn sticker....

I have come to the conclusion that a radio with a code is absolutely useless...
if someone were to steal it.... they won't give it back once they find that they can not operate it...

what a waste.... i need to get a new one that i can remove the faceplate..

r_jones06
05-19-2008, 12:06 PM
you don't have to take the radio to honda unless you locked it up. (Even then I still don't think that you have to take it to them). When this happened to me I called Honda and they told me to hold down the 1 & 6 preset buttons until a code appeared and to read the code off to them. Once I did that they put me on hold for about a minute and came back with my radio code. There should also be a sticker somewhere around the glove box area (take the glove box out) that has the code on it. I'm about to get in my car so I'll take a look and see exactly where it's at.

r_jones06
05-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I couldn't find the radio code in my car anywhere but I remember it being either behind the radio or back behind the glove box in his accord. It's a small little white sticker and should have a 5 digit code on it.

hothatch
05-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Well took out the ecu fuse and still a friggin check engine light..this sucks...and i got the 5 digit code from the dealer ship and i tried it and it wont work....screw it im just goning to install a new deck in it for now

!@#$%
05-19-2008, 03:04 PM
A friend of mine bought a bosch o2 sensor online for something like 60 bucks. It was brand new and the plug clipped right in. Worked like a charm. If worse comes to worse and you have to get a new o2 sensor go the cheap route.

hothatch
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Im gonna have to go to the honda dealer tomarrow after work and get the code and find out what whats wrong with my ep3.Thing that scares me is that like he said down earlier in the post my cel came on in 5 min after driving so it could be something more than a o2/cat issue because it takes lonnger for the check light to come on if its only a o2 issue.....u guys think i may be damaging my little diet-vtec if my cpu is making it run richer or leaner to make up for the f***ed up o2 sensor/test pipe deal? I HATE LAME ASS CAR CPUs!!!!!!

03Si757
05-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Im gonna have to go to the honda dealer tomarrow after work and get the code and find out what whats wrong with my ep3.Thing that scares me is that like he said down earlier in the post my cel came on in 5 min after driving so it could be something more than a o2/cat issue because it takes lonnger for the check light to come on if its only a o2 issue.....u guys think i may be damaging my little diet-vtec if my cpu is making it run richer or leaner to make up for the f***ed up o2 sensor/test pipe deal? I HATE LAME ASS CAR CPUs!!!!!!

Just hit up a local auto parts dealer and theyll check your CEL for free and post the code/s you get up here and im sure someone can tell you what they are.

4angrybadgers
05-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Just hit up a local auto parts dealer and theyll check your CEL for free and post the code/s you get up here and im sure someone can tell you what they are.

Do this. There is no sense in getting worked up over potential problems and worrying about parts prices when you haven't even gotten the fucking code(s) off the ECU. :mrolleyes: Get the DTCs, figure out the source of the problem from those codes, then worry about fixes.

hothatch
05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Ok i went to the honda dealer today and got the codes checked.The code was P0135, o2 sensor,heater circut,sensor1,bank1

So I guess my secondary o2 sensor with the defoulers works fine but my bloody primary sensor is acting up and giving that code..Please someone tell me what todo here.I was told because of this my car is running in some "loop mode" and im not getting the proper fuel mixture or something and its killing my performance and who knows what else.What the hell should i do now?