PDA

View Full Version : tie rod boots question

PaTTi2103a
05-18-2008, 08:03 PM
If I buy tie rod boots do I still need a nut to hold the tie rod boots up? Or is the lock that you stick in the mini hole enough to hold it up?

rolldic
05-18-2008, 09:47 PM
you need the nut, that holds the tie rod end on. why didnt you just buy new tie rods?

4angrybadgers
05-19-2008, 06:17 AM
There is no nut holding the boots on. Are you thinking of the notched nut that holds the tie rod end in the steering knuckle? You definitely do need that nut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/102crew/My%20ride/parts/100_2927.jpg

RedSiBaron
05-19-2008, 06:48 AM
There is no nut holding the boots on. Are you thinking of the notched nut that holds the tie rod end in the steering knuckle? You definitely do need that nut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/102crew/My%20ride/parts/100_2927.jpg

you loaded that bitch up with antisieze!!! GOOD JOB!!! (im way overly obsessed with antisieze)

4angrybadgers
05-19-2008, 10:53 AM
you loaded that bitch up with antisieze!!! GOOD JOB!!! (im way overly obsessed with antisieze)

Actually, I tightened the nut down too much and the boot grease leaked out... :redface:

RedSiBaron
05-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Actually, I tightened the nut down too much and the boot grease leaked out... :redface:

oh god dude i thought that was the gold antiseize, those are only supposed to take like 35ft lbs (might be 45ft lbs, cant remember off top of my head)...over torquing FTL...did you take them off? and redo it, your balljoint in the tierod end wouldnt have moved at all like that...plus those have a taper in them...holy shit...:meek:

4angrybadgers
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
oh god dude i thought that was the gold antiseize, those are only supposed to take like 35ft lbs (might be 45ft lbs, cant remember off top of my head)...over torquing FTL...did you take them off? and redo it, your balljoint in the tierod end wouldnt have moved at all like that...plus those have a taper in them...holy shit...:meek:

It turns out the coilovers (Function & Form Type I) were made for the Type-S. I went through 2 sets of EP tie rod ends before I found out that was why the ends were so loose. That picture is the second set - I was getting pissed that my tires were down to the threads in 3k miles, so I cranked it down out of desperation. Dumb, I know. I bought Type-S tie rod ends and got it fixed ASAP.

I think we should stop hijacking this poor guy's thread now. :mbiggrin: