PDA

View Full Version : What flywheel to get

sishocker04
05-18-2008, 09:11 PM
i just got an ACT hd/street strip clutch and i was wondering if i should get the 11lb flywheel or the 9lb. im running a Jrsc-S right now until july when i can get the race kit. i was thinking the 9lb?

Kerby
05-19-2008, 04:09 AM
isn't the stock rsx-s 11lbs already?

talonXracer
05-19-2008, 04:36 AM
The DC5S and EP3 use the same weight flywheel, 16lbs.

The ACT Prolite is actually too light for a daily driver. Go with a Streetlite from ACT at 11lbs, as it is closest to the DC5R flywheel weight(10.25lbs).

T_Virus
05-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Doug, just wondering, how come a lighter flywheel is not good for dd? Wouldn't a lighter one be better? I know too light is not good and well too heavy is not favorable too..

RedSiBaron
05-19-2008, 08:19 AM
Doug, just wondering, how come a lighter flywheel is not good for dd? Wouldn't a lighter one be better? I know too light is not good and well too heavy is not favorable too..

the reason stock flywheels are heavy is to make driving easier, its the built up momentum in the flywheel that makes pulling away from a stop so much easier, with less momentum comes more effort for the driver to keep the engine from stalling when letting out the clutch to get the car to start moving forward...the lighter you go, the more annoying it gets to drive on the street...just like higher performance you go on a clutch, the more annoying it is (on off clutch work)

rev a stock motor and watch how long it takes the revs to come down...the lighter the flywheel, the quicker the revs will go down (and up)...less rotational mass to rotate makes for quicker revs...its great for racing but not so much for DD

great advice doug...i should add to everyone that 9lbs for a 2700lb car IS LIGHT 9lbs is what im running on my race motor for a 1600lb car and its on the extremely light side, and people suggest going no lower...

AND on an added note from what ive read with a lot of drag vs. track guys,
the drag guys tend to go heavier on their lightened flywheels compared to the track guys, so they can keep their revs up for better launches

someone correct me if i missed/messed up anything

sishocker04
05-19-2008, 01:30 PM
thanx! :mbiggrin:

Kerby
05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Go with a Streetlite from ACT at 11lbs, as it is closest to the DC5R flywheel weight(10.25lbs).

what material is the streetlite made of?

FELON-K20
05-19-2008, 08:35 PM
i have my car in the transmission place their going to rebuilt 2nd gear and then exedy stage 2 clutch and exedy flywheel hopefully it runs good :cheer2:

kep3si
07-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Hey just wondering how did this setup go for u? Do u dd it?