PDA

View Full Version : Sour Smell?

boostdEP
05-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Sup guys, ok so I had my wife's car battery inside the trunk of my car, and like a moron :doh:, I had forgotten that I had left it inside for about couple of days. I get in my car one day and smell this sour scent coming from the trunk and it was the car battery that had tipped over. Now I cleaned out my trunk but the sour smell is still there and its trailing into the cabin. Any ideas on how to get it out?

sishocker04
05-18-2008, 09:27 PM
febreeze the sh*t outta it lol:mbiggrin:

boostdEP
05-18-2008, 09:39 PM
lol. i tried that but, no luck.

sishocker04
05-18-2008, 09:45 PM
maybe try steam cleaning it. ive never done it b4 but that might work

siver-SI
05-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Try washing it down with a baking soda and water mix. Should help nutralize the acid.

Chad
05-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Get the carpet out NOW and make sure it has not leaked elsewhere!!!! That acit will do it's best to eat thru everything, including the trunk pan of your car if it has pooled or gotten wet with acid. Any contaminated area should be rinced down with a heavy percentage of baking soda in water, keep applying/scrubbing til it stops foaming then clean well in a normal manner. You may have lost the carpet though, it may develop holes and/or discoloration. Honestly I'd split for a new hatch carpet :(

boostdEP
05-19-2008, 05:02 PM
i had rinsed it out before but never used baking soda. would that make a difference. I'll try the baking soda ASAP. I don't need a hole in my trunk. thanks a million guys.

SinisterCivicSi
05-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Get the carpet out NOW and make sure it has not leaked elsewhere!!!! That acit will do it's best to eat thru everything, including the trunk pan of your car if it has pooled or gotten wet with acid. Any contaminated area should be rinced down with a heavy percentage of baking soda in water, keep applying/scrubbing til it stops foaming then clean well in a normal manner. You may have lost the carpet though, it may develop holes and/or discoloration. Honestly I'd split for a new hatch carpet :(

crap....

i had the rsx battery in my trunk for like a month... it ate a hole not in the carpet but the pressboard under it... and got on my oem jack... that seized... i didnt look that hard at my well... shit.

good info w/ the baking soda... never thought of that either. i need to get to work this weekend.

and i need new carpet. i thought the smell was just the baked beans from 2 bbq's ago... i guess not.

and i think my wing is leaking... wonderful.

siver-SI
05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Wow baking soda was a staple for me when working on old cars. Mostly when I worked around non sealed batteries. Even at work with the fork truck batteries we keep it around incase of a spill.

Chad
05-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Wow baking soda was a staple for me when working on old cars. Mostly when I worked around non sealed batteries. Even at work with the fork truck batteries we keep it around incase of a spill.

Hells yeah! Cleans up acid, keeps the beer fridge from stinkin', every shop has to have a box of Arm & Hammer :blabla:

clizoman
05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
upholstry cleaner? and baking soda?

SSM
05-20-2008, 11:57 AM

hmm.. gotta try that..

r_jones06
05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
x2 for the baking soda + water mixture

baking soda works great if you have a water leak (such as a cooler spill over in the hatch... had that happen before)