PDA

View Full Version : help please...transmission build questions

lldiesel386ll
05-18-2008, 09:29 PM
hello all
i am currently in the process of trying to build a transmission for a k frank swap into my 2005 ep3. i originally intended on using a type s transmission, but when i purchased one about a year ago, my (then) ignorance did not tell me that it was an 04-05 transmission :mfrown:. what i was wondering was whether i may be able to mix and match parts between the two transmissions i have? i would like to have the taller first gear my ep3 transmission has, the 2nd through 5th gears the 04-05 type s has, and a tsx 6th for fuel economy. i currently dont have the tsx parts--after reading about the difference in the tsb'd and non-tsb'd transmissions, i am unsure of what i need to get. what other parts would i need? any help would be appreciated:thumb:

Lucid Moments
05-19-2008, 04:45 AM
Don't take this for gospel, but my understanding is that all the internals are swappable between k-series trannies. So if you have the two trannies you should be good for the 1 - 5 gears. For the TSX 6th though I'm not sure what you need. I suspect that since already have a six speed tranny you just need to buy the gear set and won't need any extra shift arms or anything. I wonder about synchro's though.

lldiesel386ll
05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
i understand that they are swappable as a whole, but are they interchangeable? right now i am considering three options

one is to maintain the somewhat taller first gear of my transmission, use 2-5 of the 05-06, and use a tsx 6th. if thats the case i have a set questions--i heard that 1 and 2 have to stick together (poor phrasing and forgive me all lol), so is that possible? if i use this combination, would i be able to use the vss of my transmission? what other parts would i need?

two is to use all of 1-5 of the 05-06 and use a tsx 6th, and if that is the case, i still am unsure about compatibility of the vss and what other parts i may need.

three is it to retain my 1-5 and find a tsx 6th, but with all these threads on k20a.org about different designs between tsb'd (technical service bulletin...putting that in there because i didnt know at first either) and non-tsb'd transmissions, i don't want to order something and find out that it either wont fit or it will destroy my transmission.

hopefully these are all valid points, and any help and responses would be greatly appreciated.:thumb:

Lucid Moments
05-19-2008, 11:31 AM
i understand that they are swappable as a whole, but are they interchangeable? right now i am considering three options

one is to maintain the somewhat taller first gear of my transmission, use 2-5 of the 05-06, and use a tsx 6th. if thats the case i have a set questions--i heard that 1 and 2 have to stick together (poor phrasing and forgive me all lol), so is that possible? if i use this combination, would i be able to use the vss of my transmission? what other parts would i need?

two is to use all of 1-5 of the 05-06 and use a tsx 6th, and if that is the case, i still am unsure about compatibility of the vss and what other parts i may need.

three is it to retain my 1-5 and find a tsx 6th, but with all these threads on k20a.org about different designs between tsb'd (technical service bulletin...putting that in there because i didnt know at first either) and non-tsb'd transmissions, i don't want to order something and find out that it either wont fit or it will destroy my transmission.

hopefully these are all valid points, and any help and responses would be greatly appreciated.:thumb:

Again, I haven't done it myself so I don't know for a fact. But. My understanding is that you can mix and match between any k-transmissions. I know that people have put the TSX 6th in an EP tranny. I don't know of anyone that has done the 1st gear swap like you are talking about, but I believe it can be done.

lldiesel386ll
05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
thanks for the fast response. is there anyone else that can provide more input?:mbiggrin:

Fico
05-19-2008, 02:32 PM
you cant use the ep's 1st gear only ou have to use 1+2 because they come in a set, or so i have heard from good sources. the 6th gear should swap fine, you might want to go lsd and maybe throw a final drive in, like a 4.0 if your going for more then 300hp

lldiesel386ll
05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
i am barely a step ahead of that:mbiggrin:
i actually do have an lsd sitting in my garage as well, but with news that 1 and 2 having to come as a package deal, i think i may just stick with my current gearing. with that said, i would like to put the tsx 6th in there for the improved economy. some questions--
what parts will i need? namely, what part numbers? i read the honda element owners thread about a six speed conversion (in addition to somewhere around 30 other threads), but i am unsure of what parts would pertain to this instance. any help would be appreciated :thumb:

talonXracer
05-20-2008, 07:23 AM
1-2 are a matched set to the FD.

First determine what FD ratio you want, then see what is made in that FD ratio. Then you can mix and match 3-6 gearsets for the spacing you desire. Remember you will need the main and countershaft gears, bearings and spacers to swap them around.

lldiesel386ll
05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
great information; thanks!:thumb:
with that said i am definitely sticking with my current gearing and adding a tsx 6th. below is what i have already ordered. i figure whatever shims i may need to order for proper clearances can be readily picked up at my local dealer.
Product Number Description Quantity
24240-PNS-000 PIECE, REVERSE SHIFT 1
24430-PNS-000 INTERLOCK 1
24201-RAS-000 FORK, FIFTH-SIXTH GEARSHIFT 1
23590-RAS-A00 GEAR, MAINSHAFT SIXTH 1
91103-RAS-003 BEARING, NEEDLE (35X41X24) 1
23916-PNS-000 COLLAR, DISTANCE (28X35X24) 1
90011-PPP-000 BOLT, SPECIAL (20X25) 1
23491-RAS-000 GEAR, COUNTERSHAFT SIXTH 1
besides the bearings that need to be placed on the new lsd (i already got those) is there anything else i may need? any help would be appreciated.

lldiesel386ll
05-20-2008, 08:27 PM
bump :thumb:

Demonicrsx
05-28-2008, 07:09 PM
if you are planning on spending the money for later use such as running big turbo setup, I would invest in some PPG/Dog straight cut gears setup.