PDA

View Full Version : When shocks "blow"

HK_EP3
11-13-2002, 01:48 AM
When you guys say that our shocks gonna "blow", whats that mean? does it actually go BOOM!? or just wearing out(bottoming out) dunno. just fill me in. thanks

DEXTERBASE
11-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Okay, I'll try to make it as simple as I can.

Springs store a lot of energy after they are compressed or streched. After a car hits a bump and compresses the springs all the way, the springs will then rebound launching the car upward. This can result in a loss of contact area between the tires and road surface, possibly creating a dangerous loss of control.

Left unchecked, the car will bounce up and down after hitting a bump until the weight settles.

A strut is designed to absorb this energy. A strut that is "blown" Has lost its ability to absorb the energy from the springs and will bottom out and basically "ride like shit"

Blown struts are unsafe and make the ride quality suffer dramatically.

Hope this helps.

Acidburn
11-14-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by DEXTERBASE
Okay, I'll try to make it as simple as I can.

Springs store a lot of energy after they are compressed or streched. After a car hits a bump and compresses the springs all the way, the springs will then rebound launching the car upward. This can result in a loss of contact area between the tires and road surface, possibly creating a dangerous loss of control.

Left unchecked, the car will bounce up and down after hitting a bump until the weight settles.

A strut is designed to absorb this energy. A strut that is "blown" Has lost its ability to absorb the energy from the springs and will bottom out and basically "ride like shit"

Blown struts are unsafe and make the ride quality suffer dramatically.

Hope this helps.

Hah, damn that was more complicated than it had to be, but it served its purpose - kinda. :D