PDA

View Full Version : need answer ASAP!!

v1c10us
05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
so i'm changing my oil, and I decided to go with the odyssey/s2k filter because i remembered some people saying they used it so i thought i'd try
i get the old one off and they're like a different size?
the outer ring of the s2k filter is wider, the threads and the center hole are the same, but wont it leak if the outside is bigger?
i dont wanna start the car with fresh oil in it just to watch it go everywhere
whats the deal someone please lemme know if i fucked up.

RHCP0801
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
the only oil filter that is different is the s2k one, odyssey uses the same one every other honda uses, i work at honda so yea. I wouldnt put the s2k one on if the seal doesnt match up but i guess wait till others post because i have only had my ep for one day lol

maybe screw the oil filter on loose and see if it seals nice and flush...if not than use a normal one

v1c10us
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
help mee!
I gotta finish this before it starts pissing rain.

v1c10us
05-19-2008, 02:40 PM
the only oil filter that is different is the s2k one, odyssey uses the same one every other honda uses, i work at honda so yea. I wouldnt put the s2k one on if the seal doesnt match up but i guess wait till others post because i have only had my ep for one day lol

the odyssey filter is the same as the s2k filter
the si filter is the same as all the other civic filters and the accord filters are different still..
It seams like it sealed, I tightened it down all the way and it felt sealed but I cant tell for sure
I remember doug saying he used the s2k filter.
Or rather he said he used the odyssey filter but when I looked in the book it said odyssey and s2k had the same filter..

K-Shark
05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
i'm using the s2k filter and havent had a problem for ~2,500 miles...

BTW it's a mobil 1 filter...

v1c10us
05-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Was it the same outer width as the si filter?
like if oyu held it in your hand was it fatter?

RHCP0801
05-19-2008, 02:45 PM
odyssey and s2000 filters have different part numbers so they are different, if you feel its tight and makes a good seal than start it up

v1c10us
05-19-2008, 02:47 PM
thats only on the shity fram made oem filters
they have the same number by everyone else.
But I donno, I guess I'll put the oil in, if it doesnt leak i'll start it, and if it still doesnt leak Ill keep it on there.
seems odd though but i remember people saying they used the S2k filter..

RHCP0801
05-19-2008, 02:49 PM
wait are you saying the seal size is different or the actually filter is bigger? yea s2k filters are bigger but take the filter that was on your car originally and put both of the open ends touching each other,if the black seal is the same size than you are good

v1c10us
05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
oh well, I donno its on now and I started it
I guess I'll just see
if my motor blows then I guess i'll get a k24

RedSiBaron
05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
i believe it was talonxracer who told me to run the s2k filter, but dont quote me on that incase i am wrong...ive been running it and havnt noticed any drop in oil and i didnt notice any seal differences...hrrm

lleron
05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I've also been running the s2k filters for at least 15k with no problems. I honestly don't even remember what the oem si one looks like.

Mickey
05-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Im using s2k filter for like 20k miles already w/o problems.

beechstreet
05-19-2008, 05:03 PM
you're fine man. the gasket looks a little wider but still seats the same. according to Wix, the gaskets for the filters for the S2000 (51334) and the Odyssey (51356) are the same diameters. everything else is ok. I've been using the oversized s2000 filter for like 40,000 miles without a single prob

talonXracer
05-19-2008, 05:04 PM
The rubber gasket dia on the sealing face of the EP3 and S2k filter are the same. I used to use S2k filters on my A3 and A2 untill I seen how much the S2k filter pulsates at high RPM. I now use a Mobil1 M110 oil filter.

the JigGa mAn
05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
The rubber gasket dia on the sealing face of the EP3 and S2k filter are the same. I used to use S2k filters on my A3 and A2 untill I seen how much the S2k filter pulsates at high RPM. I now use a Mobil1 M110 oil filter.

ive always used the Mobil1 M110 oil filter

v1c10us
05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
I used the mobil 1 s2k filter
I believe it was m1-104
I think the si filter was m1-110
i drove around with it today and It seems fine, I guess I'll stick with it till my next oil change and then look around for other options.
I didnt use a funnel and I spilt so much oil it dripped down on the driveway and then I poured dish soap all over the driveway and washed it away and the whole driveway was foamy.
then it all went away and theres still oil stains.
Gonna soak it tomorrow or somethin.

just did some research, discovered the purolator premium plus or something has the largest filter surface area of 81 square feet compared to mobil1's 63
also has the thickest casing at .021''

WhiteOnRice
05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Funny since a bunch of "OEM Honda" filters are made by Fram, in a different, shell, different box, and the price is marked up.

v1c10us
05-19-2008, 09:19 PM
thats exactly what I said
aka
OEM filters made by fram that are shitty.
I was talking about filters made by other people, i dont use those crappy filters
wal-mart owns fram, they used to be a great company but wal-mart fucked with everything so they could sell the filters for so cheap and now they blow.

jtyler05si
05-20-2008, 04:56 AM
i guess i dont understand...why do we need to use a filter meant for a different car.. do they just "filter" the oil faster.... is there any point? i have bought the mobil 1 filter that is for our car....is that the M110 you guys are talking about?

talonXracer
05-20-2008, 05:58 AM
The S2k filter has more media, so you probably could use it for a longer period without a drop in oil pressure from debris in the media. But if you follow a more conservative OIC schedule the M110 size is better, as the oil pressure is a bit more consistant at higher RPM's. This is also a known weak point by the S2k guys. All the guys I know who race their S2k's, add several hose clamps around the body of the filter to reduce the flexing of the outer shell, this also allows for easy filter removal when it comes oil change time.

v1c10us
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
clamps are a good idea.
I change my synthetic every 5001 miles.
The extra one is to keep me from being a namby pamby
I like to live dangerously, but not too dangerously.
The OEM honda filters have the thinnest casing of all the filters I researched the other day.
the purolator premium plus had the largest filter surface area as well as the second thickest casing, after the fram extra gaurd. Is the oil pressure affected by the swelling of the casing that much?
Or is it more a issue of being scared of the filter bursting from the pressure?