PDA

View Full Version : Tint: front windshield

vtecDave
05-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I tinted my windows last summer right after I bought my EP and decided not to get the front windshield "bannner" tint. Now I wish I'd spent the extra $20 and got it done. Not having any gradation or any tint on the front (like our Accord) really kind of stinks.
We're getting a tint "group buy" at work tomorrow and I'm getting mine tinted, just and unsure how dark to go. My front windows are 35% and the rear two and hatch are 20%. I'm thinking about going 20%... :noidea:

Anyone have their front windshield tinted? What percentage did you get? Does it help, would you do it again (did you rip it off later)? Anyone have pics?

SLOW EP3
05-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Be cautious of the AS1 line, if the tint strip goes below this you can get ticketed if the cop is being an a*hole. I think it's 5" inches, which doesn't even reach the mirror mount. Just something to keep in mind.

I did the 5" inch strip in 5%. Here's a pic...not the greatest.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/hatch05black/2008_05_17Civic012.jpg

vtecDave
05-21-2008, 10:34 AM
true, i've done the research on the AS-1 line.

so, does the strip help at all, seems like 5" won't get you much???

bunk
05-21-2008, 10:37 AM
so, does the strip help at all, seems like 5" won't get you much???

Yes it helps, and 5" should be plenty.

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 05:56 AM
i do enjoy mine.... i have 5% all around 360 degrees.... its dark as fuck in there... i remember in highschool, me and my lady friend could do whatever we please in the highschool parking lot before school started, with people walking by and stuff......:mconfused:

giggidy giggidy

Soprano21
05-22-2008, 06:01 AM
so 5" is cool then??? have any of you guys ever had any problems w/ the cops

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 06:09 AM
so 5" is cool then??? have any of you guys ever had any problems w/ the cops

yes i enjoy it and no i live in oklahoma where the law-men dont pick on shit like that, they just give you a speeding ticket for few over because you are driving a civic....

Soprano21
05-22-2008, 06:12 AM
yes i enjoy it and no i live in oklahoma where the law-men dont pick on shit like that, they just give you a speeding ticket for few over because you are driving a civic....

:mtongue: ok cool, i just wanted to know before i get mine done

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 06:15 AM
at first i thought 5" was going to be huge but then i noticed it looked relatively small compared to our gigantic window. it looks like it is meant to be there....if that helps

Soprano21
05-22-2008, 06:18 AM
at first i thought 5" was going to be huge but then i noticed it looked relatively small compared to our gigantic window. it looks like it is meant to be there....if that helps

NICE http://smiliesftw.com/x/boratdp7.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

btw what kind of tint did everyone here go with im lookin for something not to dark?

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 06:32 AM
i think a lot of people like 20 at the darkest....
if you have ever had 5%, you know what i am talking about, when it looks like the power is out when looking out the windows at night, and i have to roll down the window at an unlit corner to see where the center median is when turning...

i'd say 20 is dark enough... im sure other people who have had other tents will give you better advice.

Soprano21
05-22-2008, 06:40 AM
i think a lot of people like 20 at the darkest....
if you have ever had 5%, you know what i am talking about, when it looks like the power is out when looking out the windows at night, and i have to roll down the window at an unlit corner to see where the center median is when turning...

i'd say 20 is dark enough... im sure other people who have had other tents will give you better advice.

ya i know what your talkin about w/ the 5% LOL dark as hell, thats what i was thinkin though, 20 is prob the best and right now, and thats prob what im gonna see a lot of ppl sayin they have

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 06:44 AM
ya the way i think about it, i either want it black where you cant see anything or clear where you can see everything.....not a big fan of between...i think you will be happy with 20%....good luck....oh and expect some comments on your back glass.....supposedly(said the guy that installed my tent) our back glass is a bitch because it is so "eyeglassed", i guess you could say.

Soprano21
05-22-2008, 06:46 AM
ya the way i think about it, i either want it black where you cant see anything or clear where you can see everything.....not a big fan of between...i think you will be happy with 20%....good luck....oh and expect some comments on your back glass.....supposedly(said the guy that installed my tent) our back glass is a bitch because it is so "eyeglassed", i guess you could say.

ok cool thanks for the info mang:peace:

vtecDave
05-22-2008, 06:51 AM
20% all around is good, dark, but not too dark to see out. that's what i had on my old car.

i have 20% in back and 35% up front (first post) and the 35% up front is almost to light, but it works for me. i'm getting "older"... i don't want to get questioned by small town SC cops. still hard to see in the back seats though.

i'll see if i can get a pic up tomorrow after i get my windshield banner done (today).

vtecDave
05-22-2008, 06:53 AM
as long as an old guy who looks like "the Dude" from The Big Lebowski does your tint, it's all good. he won't complain about it.

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 06:54 AM
20% all around is good, dark, but not too dark to see out. that's what i had on my old car.

i have 20% in back and 35% up front (first post) and the 35% up front is almost to light, but it works for me. i'm getting "older"... i don't want to get questioned by small town SC cops. still hard to see in the back seats though.

i'll see if i can get a pic up tomorrow after i get my windshield banner done (today).

so, are you getting 20% on the strip? that was your original question wasnt it? i would go with 20%, since 35% is to light, plus you aren't going to be looking out of it.

Soprano21
05-22-2008, 06:55 AM

cool thanx man

Godhand
05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I think my Spoon Sports banner might come a little low, I have to bend over to see if the light is green yet. Gonna be fun once I start using a harness...

benkieboy
05-22-2008, 03:42 PM
i think i'd rock it!

vtecDave
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
so, are you getting 20% on the strip? that was your original question wasnt it? i would go with 20%, since 35% is to light, plus you aren't going to be looking out of it.
i was thinking of going with something darker, but now 20% is what i'm going with for the strip.

ok, so the guys were supposed to get to out office around 9:30am. we called around 10:30 and they said they were on their way...

never showed. (Sunbusters in Augusta -1 ) :frusty:

the thing that sucks is i live 60miles from work, 3 of us carpool in our office and 2 of us drove seperate to get the tint done. waste of $3.65 gas... now it's $3.80!

BigBurch422
05-23-2008, 10:42 AM
i had a 5% strip n it was atleast 7 inches
came down kinda far but it worked wonders
do that :mcool:

jtyler05si
05-23-2008, 11:00 AM
maybe he should get one on the top and bottom of his window.... then it will be like driving a tank. a fast tank!

xachary82
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I Got a ticket for mine i dont know how far it comes down... I also got one for my side window tint(20). and also rear license plate tinted cover, and no front license plate(Virginia) I havent fixed shit and I wont, Abingdon town cops are douche bags, so I just try not to drive through town much. state and county cops dont give a shit.

illusionsoflife
05-25-2008, 11:41 AM
i do enjoy mine.... i have 5% all around 360 degrees.... its dark as fuck in there... i remember in highschool, me and my lady friend could do whatever we please in the highschool parking lot before school started, with people walking by and stuff......:mconfused:

giggidy giggidy

haha....ive so done the same thing in my ep