PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Z3 Trans to work with the EP

Word
05-21-2008, 10:05 PM
What exactly would you need to convert a Z3/Z1 trans to work with the EP?

Like mods to the trans and the sensors and such?

I have a Z3 engine but I want to know what parts a I need to buy and what I need to change on the Z3 trans or the EP to make it work together.

Thanx, Hopefully this helps others too...

IWASHATCHED
05-21-2008, 10:13 PM
That's a good question, sure this could help someone in the future. I would tell you exactly how to do it and give you my two cents on it, but since I haven't actually done a Z3 swap myself...I'll leave it up to someone who has.

Good luck man.

*Someone help him out, this is a cool dude and needs to get his car back up and running again.

IWASHATCHED
05-21-2008, 10:24 PM
http://teamxxxracing.com/Forum/archive/index.php?t-33.html

That should help too though.

lldiesel386ll
05-22-2008, 12:42 AM
What exactly would you need to convert a Z3/Z1 trans to work with the EP?

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40933
you need this thread :thumb:

otherwise you can swap all the guts into your current transmission, making sure to place the speed gear onto the differential

IWASHATCHED
05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40933
you need this thread :thumb:

otherwise you can swap all the guts into your current transmission, making sure to place the speed gear onto the differential

Very informative man. :thumb:

I searched the web high and low to find him a link like that.

Word
05-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Dude that is Perfect... thanx

Word
05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Kind of a dumb question but wouldn't you use the A3 Speedometer Gear instead of the 02-04 RSX speed ring he is telling you to use?

Is there a difference between the two Speed Gears?

Word
05-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Also does anyone know if the Z1 case would also need to be tapped like the Z3 for the VSS?

Word
05-24-2008, 10:39 PM
:bump2:

talonXracer
05-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Kind of a dumb question but wouldn't you use the A3 Speedometer Gear instead of the 02-04 RSX speed ring he is telling you to use?

Is there a difference between the two Speed Gears?

The speedo gear rings are the same for the EP3 and 02'-04' DC5.

ALL MotoR Ep3
05-25-2008, 07:13 AM
well you can either swap the gears into a old tranny case and bolt up and all sensor will work but if you just wanna swap a new tranny onto it the VSS will not work so what this guy i know did in his EK he has the digital s2000 cluster...and his VSS sensor worked fine..

lldiesel386ll
05-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Also does anyone know if the Z1 case would also need to be tapped like the Z3 for the VSS?

yes
lol...i am facing the same dilemma right now, which is why i am looking to just add a tsx 6th to my transmission:thumb:

Word
06-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I'll let you know... Cuz apparently no one else knows... So I gotta find out myself

lldiesel386ll
06-06-2008, 08:26 AM
oh...when i said yes, i meant yes, the case would need to be tapped like the z3 tranny--both use the same type of vss

i have decided to use my original five speed with a new tsx 6th gear and an lsd though, i'm at a standstill though, because placing that speed gear on lsd's are bloody difficult. i have a hydraulic press now (yay harbor freight :thumb:)--does anyone have suggestions for that?

Word
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
ahhhhhhh k0o thanx... we're putting it together now so I'll let you know how that all goes... My buddy is a mechanic so he has access to proper tools so I can't help you there...

lldiesel386ll
06-08-2008, 10:19 PM
no worries...i ended up building my 5 speed
i threw in a tsx 6th gear (and the necessary parts to make it work) and an obx lsd and called it a day (so to speak...haha:mcry:)...it was an interesting experience to say the least.
i would think just throwing the guts from the z1 or z3 transmission into what you already have available would be the easiest option--everything should swap over. all you would have to do is remove the one bearing on the bottom of the diff and add the speed gear from your current transmission. you would need to replace that bearing, and from personal experience i would suggest that you buy a new speed gear as well.
as for having the necessary tools--you need a good set of ratchets, a feeler gauge (if you really want to get technical--but to get technical you would be replacing a crapload in there) and a bearing puller and a hydraulic press (you would of course need the necessary liquid gasket materials). i'm sure, however, that with a little ingenuity and creativity you can very likely do without the hydraulic press, maybe even the bearing puller

rusty#1
06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
hmm this is interesting i always thought that the k20z3 swap was the same as just doing an a2 swap

Jpax
06-09-2008, 02:05 PM
hmm this is interesting i always thought that the k20z3 swap was the same as just doing an a2 swap

No, Z3 has a few eletrical changes, 1 its DBW stock, so harness and throttle body have to change, the tranny as this thread is covering speed sensor is is different as well.

Word
06-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Seems like i maybe getting in over my head... hahaha... Whats the harness difference?