PDA

View Full Version : matching paint?

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 05:26 AM
i have been looking into painting my center dash piece. i have been reading alot of posts and comments of vegaS10 because i like how his looks...
he uses SEM Landau Black for the paint.....it has to be picked up at a specialty shop or ordered online....
i wanted to get this done tonight so it can dry and i can put on another coat if needed..... so i can have everything back on by memorial day....

anyways does any one know of a good paint that looks just like the SEM Landau Black, but can be picked up at any generic store (autozone,advanced,o reilly's, walmart???,anything)?

edit: would a generic "semi-gloss black for plastic or vinyl" work? if so, any brands that you would recomend?

thanks guys.
oh and have a nice memorial day gents (and the ladies, cant forget you)

RedSiBaron
05-22-2008, 07:28 AM
do you have a sherwin williams near you? they could give you the exact paint you want mixed for you in a rattle can...when i have to make a model for a product design i use their stuff...its fairly inexpensive and it will be exactly what you want using automotive paint...

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 07:34 AM
do you have a sherwin williams near you? they could give you the exact paint you want mixed for you in a rattle can...when i have to make a model for a product design i use their stuff...its fairly inexpensive and it will be exactly what you want using automotive paint...

yes there is one....would they have plastic/vinyl paint? i have only been there once, and that was for indoor house paint

oogy-boogy
05-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Be sure to use some adhesion promoter prior to spraying. Bulldog works well.

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 08:01 AM
just called sherwin williams, they said they dont have anything that would work on interior plastics or vinlys ):

next idea?

RedSiBaron
05-22-2008, 08:47 AM
just called sherwin williams, they said they dont have anything that would work on interior plastics or vinlys ):

next idea?

ok, well, personally i bet their paint would work if you used the right primer or adhesion promoter...but i guess better safe than sorry? :noidea:

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 08:51 AM
no one caries anything in a can for plastics except Krylon, and i dont like krylon. anyone used krylon on their dash?

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 09:14 AM
nevermind... i found a paint shop to go to after work they have the SEM laudau black stuff....awesome..

no shitty krylon poop paint

v1c10us
05-22-2008, 10:24 AM
alright
but I've done a few dashes in krylon fusion and its freaking siq
it contains plastic dye's as well as paint, so when you scratch the paint by accident, the plastic under it is the same color.

jtyler05si
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
alright
but I've done a few dashes in krylon fusion and its freaking siq
it contains plastic dye's as well as paint, so when you scratch the paint by accident, the plastic under it is the same color.

well thats no good. krylon blows...for the record

Godhand
05-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm kinda wanting to hear your Krylon horror story as they seem to have pissed you off very badly.

proudtobeawesom
05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm kinda wanting to hear your Krylon horror story as they seem to have pissed you off very badly.

haha x2

~kevin