PDA

View Full Version : how to tighten JRSC belt.

si4life
05-22-2008, 08:13 AM
My belt is squeaking and loose and I need to tighten it up. Newb question, is the less threads showing on the tensioner belt mean the tighter the belt is? Thanks.

vbpracer
05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
My belt is squeaking and loose and I need to tighten it up. Newb question, is the less threads showing on the tensioner belt mean the tighter the belt is? Thanks.

The bolt needs to go down to make it tighter, so turn it to the right. As for squeaking use some belt conditioner.

NrGiNnY14
05-22-2008, 08:26 AM

yes, loosen up the tensioner pulley and if you have a torque wrench, torque the 10mm bolt to 45 pounds. what i did was i removed the bolt and put a nut on, then torqued it 45 pounds, then tightened the nut to the idler assembly. been going since January and so far no belt slippage.

also, make sure its the belt thats squeaking, because my idler pulley is squeeking and i heard its a common problem on the jrsc. i have been spraying the pulley with silicone spray and it usually lasts about a week before it starts making the noise again, then i just respray it. i will order the new pulley when i am upgrading to the race kit, so its not much of a problem for me.

si4life
05-22-2008, 09:24 AM
ok cool. thanks guys. it squeaks really bad when it rains. I'll tighten the belt and use some belt conditioner.

NrGiNnY14
05-22-2008, 10:47 AM
ok cool. thanks guys. it squeaks really bad when it rains. I'll tighten the belt and use some belt conditioner.

see if its the belt thats squeaking or the pulley.

also how old is the belt? what kind of belt?

and how many miles are on the jrsc?

vbpracer
05-22-2008, 12:00 PM
NrGiNnY14 are making a 182 whp with the street kit? What kind of header?

Sorry to threadjack

NrGiNnY14
05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
NrGiNnY14 are making a 182 whp with the street kit? What kind of header?

Sorry to threadjack

dc shorty and megan tp

siptastic
05-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I've the same problem. I find it odd that it is louder when it rains. Have you had any luck yet? I'm going to dig in tomorrow, but I though I'd ask. Thanks.

si4life
06-25-2008, 01:49 PM
yea my belt squeaks worse when it rains.

NrGiNnY14
06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
sounds like the idler pulley is the problem. mine did get louder when it rained and i just put on a brand new idler pulley and it makes 0 noise. well worth the $35 from jackson racing. if the jrsc has some miles on it, chances are you guys are having the same problem as me

si4life
06-26-2008, 08:06 AM
My jrsc only has about 20k on it. do you think it's still the idler pulley? also does using a gatorback belt reduce the squeaking? Im currently running with the dayco that came with the kit. i just changed the belt and it has 5k on it and is about a month old.

sounds like the idler pulley is the problem. mine did get louder when it rained and i just put on a brand new idler pulley and it makes 0 noise. well worth the $35 from jackson racing. if the jrsc has some miles on it, chances are you guys are having the same problem as me

si4life
06-26-2008, 08:53 AM
see if its the belt thats squeaking or the pulley.

also how old is the belt? what kind of belt?

and how many miles are on the jrsc?

how can you tell if it's the belt or the pulley that's squeaking (sorry for the newb question)

NrGiNnY14
06-26-2008, 09:10 AM
My jrsc only has about 20k on it. do you think it's still the idler pulley? also does using a gatorback belt reduce the squeaking? Im currently running with the dayco that came with the kit. i just changed the belt and it has 5k on it and is about a month old.

20k isn't bad, but then again everyone is different. the big problem with the jrsc is the tensioner assembly and i now several people that had to get new idler pulleys after about a year or so of useage. thats 1 of the only drawbacks of the jrsc, the tensioner assembly sucks.

i'm not sure how the gatorback belts are, even though i hear alot of good things from them, but the dayco is garage, so i hear. i use a gates belt which you can get at napa, the part # is 25070630 for the street kit and 25070622 for the race kit.

how can you tell if it's the belt or the pulley that's squeaking (sorry for the newb question)

if you really wanna find out, go to an autoparts store and buy a can of silicone spray. with the car on, spray in between the idler pulley and tensioner assembly and if the noise goes away, its time for a new idler pulley. the spray does last a little while, but its just a quick fix that will come back. i used the spray for about 3-4 months and i ended up ordering the pulley when i bought my 4" pulley from jr and so far its been great, 0 noise

jimmyjames
06-26-2008, 09:39 AM
yes, loosen up the tensioner pulley and if you have a torque wrench, torque the 10mm bolt to 45 pounds. what i did was i removed the bolt and put a nut on, then torqued it 45 pounds, then tightened the nut to the idler assembly. been going since January and so far no belt slippage.No, no, no, no!!!
The 10mm bolt is to be tightened until you achieve 45 pounds of belt tension.
Torquing the tiny 10mm bolt to 45 ft-lbs of torque will shear off the head.
In order to properly tighten it, you need to have a device to measure belt tension. If you do not have that, you should do the following:
1. Tighten the main pulley bolt by hand until it is snug but the pulley can still move up and down. (Just loose enough to move)
2. Tighten the tensioner bolt about half way and with your fingers, try pushing on the belt in the mid point between two pulleys. If it deflects a lot, tighten some more. Keep doing this until you feel the belt is rather snug. Usually people will have about 1/2" - 1" of threads remaining when properly tightened.
3. Torque the pulley bolt down to about 30 ft-lbs. Realistically, I have simply used a box end wrench and tightened enough to know it won't move. No need to kill it.

Over tightening the tensioner bolt will cause the pulley to have too much stress and lead to bearing failures prematurely.
You will most likely need to tighten the belt a little after about 30-60 minutes of use.
I have been running my SC for about 2 years/35,000 miles now. No tensioner adjusting and still original gatorback belt.

As for sprays, just for clarification:
- use silicone spray on the pulley bearing only, do not get any on the belt.

- the spray to use for the belt to prevent slipping is this one:
http://www.crcindustries.com/catalog/images/Lubricant%20and%20Penetrant/05350.jpg

Joey just made the thread you need.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48791

si4life
06-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Thank you very much for input. I'll adjust the belt tension when i get home from work.

NrGiNnY14
06-26-2008, 10:50 AM
No, no, no, no!!!
The 10mm bolt is to be tightened until you achieve 45 pounds of belt tension.
Torquing the tiny 10mm bolt to 45 ft-lbs of torque will shear off the head.
In order to properly tighten it, you need to have a device to measure belt tension. If you do not have that, you should do the following:
1. Tighten the main pulley bolt by hand until it is snug but the pulley can still move up and down. (Just loose enough to move)
2. Tighten the tensioner bolt about half way and with your fingers, try pushing on the belt in the mid point between two pulleys. If it deflects a lot, tighten some more. Keep doing this until you feel the belt is rather snug. Usually people will have about 1/2" - 1" of threads remaining when properly tightened.
3. Torque the pulley bolt down to about 30 ft-lbs. Realistically, I have simply used a box end wrench and tightened enough to know it won't move. No need to kill it.

Over tightening the tensioner bolt will cause the pulley to have too much stress and lead to bearing failures prematurely.
You will most likely need to tighten the belt a little after about 30-60 minutes of use.
I have been running my SC for about 2 years/35,000 miles now. No tensioner adjusting and still original gatorback belt.

thanks for fixing that, i always thought the bolt had to be torqued to 45ft-lbs, but i ended up always doing it by eye and tested. it is a good idea to get a nut on the bolt though and after the tension is good, tighten the nut against the tensioner assembly, it helps make sure that the bolt doesn't back out

Strife
06-26-2008, 11:04 AM
also, make sure its the belt thats squeaking, because my idler pulley is squeeking and i heard its a common problem on the jrsc. i have been spraying the pulley with silicone spray and it usually lasts about a week before it starts making the noise again, then i just respray it. i will order the new pulley when i am upgrading to the race kit, so its not much of a problem for me.

I have the same issue with my pulley. What tool should I use to remove my pulley? I can't seem to fit a wrench in their to remove just the pulley. Any tips on how I should go about this?

fatdong
06-26-2008, 11:38 AM
what is belt conditioner? whenever mine squeeked I just let it warm up, or I put some grease on the bearings

66elwood99
06-26-2008, 11:41 AM

Same here, changed the pulley after approx 40,000 miles and no more noise...

NrGiNnY14
06-26-2008, 09:09 PM
I have the same issue with my pulley. What tool should I use to remove my pulley? I can't seem to fit a wrench in their to remove just the pulley. Any tips on how I should go about this?

most wrenches have the closed end side bent a little which lets you get on the pulley bolt real easy. if you don't have 1 thats bent a little, i suggest taking an old 17mm wrench and maybe making that bend yourself. it doesn't have to be a huge bend, but enough where the wrench can sit flat against the bolt

si4life
07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
My belt is squeaking like a bitch now. so i ended up spraying some belt conditioner on it and tightened the belt. i sprayed some lub in the pully barings and squeak went away for a bit, but now when i hit 4k or high in the rpms supercharger makes weird noise. doesn't sound like the supercharger whining, or belt squeaking. is it possible that the belt is too tight and it causes the sc to make this noise at high rpms? should i replace my idealer pully?

jrsc has like 20k miles
belt is almost new dayco (1-2k miles on it) -> i'm switching to gatorback to see if it helps.

si4life
07-01-2008, 09:38 AM
anyone.....

fatdong
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
describe the sound

4angrybadgers
07-01-2008, 12:10 PM
It might be just the Dayco belt. The Gatorback rib design is supposed to be quieter.

si4life
07-01-2008, 12:12 PM
The sound is not a sc whining noise, but not a squeaky belt sound it's kinda in between. lol. the sound happens when i accelarate and at rpms over 4k.

describe the sound

si4life
07-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I hope so. When i instal the gatorback belt hopefully it will solve the problem.

It might be just the Dayco belt. The Gatorback rib design is supposed to be quieter.

JohnyBlaze
07-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Consider taking out the tensioner pully and spraying white lithium grease on the bearings. This has worked for many people. I actually did this when I installed the SC and haven't had any issues for almost 30K miles now.

jerseyjew
07-03-2008, 07:03 PM
There is an excellent DIY sticky that shows how to replace a belt, but it can also be used as a guide to tighten a belt. :mbiggrin:

si4life
07-06-2008, 07:57 PM
does anyone have the pulley/belt diagram?

There is an excellent DIY sticky that shows how to replace a belt, but it can also be used as a guide to tighten a belt. :mbiggrin:

jerseyjew
07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
does anyone have the pulley/belt diagram?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/jerseyjew/Beltlayout-EP3.jpg

There you go! Just assume that the stock tensioner is no longer there and the supercharger pulley is located directly in front of it. The belt uses the stock routing except for that it goes over and around the supercharger pulley while being routed underneath of the JRSC tensioner assembly.

si4life
07-08-2008, 08:07 AM
as always you come through. thanks. btw i think my belt was way too tight, because when i got into boost the sc/belt would make a squealing noise and my car wasnt making power.

si4life
07-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I just changed my shitty ass dayco belt to a goodyear gatorback and no more squeaking or slippage. my jrsc is running great now

gatorback belt FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: